Looking to buy Headphones(HD555 experienced user)
Oct 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

qTAP

New Head-Fier

So basically my HD555 died after almost 3 years of heavy use. I love them to death so I’m thinking about buying them again. But 3 years have gone by is there anything out there that’s better then them? I was leaning toward the Senn HD 518 because it has a bit more bass then the HD555. After Listening to them, I didn’t like them, it didn’t feel like a big upgrade from my HD555. I’m thinking it could be possibly my soundcard bottlenecking my headphones. I have x-fi titanium fatal1ty pro card I think I should be fine right? I’m just looking for some suggestions, I hear PRO550 are great, but I’m worried if there not comfortable enough for me. I need headphones to be comfortable because I’m on my computer for long periods of the day and I know the HD series of sennheiser are all SUPER comfortable.

Budget Price $150

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 17
Well, the HD555s are very cheap on amazon these days, so if you already you know you like them, go with the sure thing.

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 17
Well, the HD558 are the direct upgrade for the HD555s, so getting those would make sense, especially if you loved how your 555s sounded.
558s are supposed to have improved bass response and clarity

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 17
I've never listened to the HD555's before. But I primarily use the HD558's at home and I like them a lot. Like Wingstrike said, they're the direct upgrade to the 555's and based on all reviews I've heard everyone seems to say the 558's sound better across the board; especially with a better soundstage supposedly. So I'd say go for the HD558's if you liked the 555's. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 17
Hey the same thing happened to me a while back. If you really like the HD555 I suggest getting another pair and never coming back to headfi... or else you'll end up like me selling my second pair a week later to purchase the HD650's and an amp.

Also question. did you do the foam mod?

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 17
Haha, or more extreme and upgrading to HD800 straight from HD555 like me >.>

Quote:
Hey the same thing happened to me a while back. If you really like the HD555 I suggest getting another pair and never coming back to headfi... or else you'll end up like me selling my second pair a week later to purchase the HD650's and an amp.

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Well, the HD555s are very cheap on amazon these days, so if you already you know you like them, go with the sure thing.

Yeah, but I want an upgrade. Somthing with better sound.

Quote:
Well, the HD558 are the direct upgrade for the HD555s, so getting those would make sense, especially if you loved how your 555s sounded.
558s are supposed to have improved bass response and clarity

amazing, this is what i want! :)

Quote:
I've never listened to the HD555's before. But I primarily use the HD558's at home and I like them a lot. Like Wingstrike said, they're the direct upgrade to the 555's and based on all reviews I've heard everyone seems to say the 558's sound better across the board; especially with a better soundstage supposedly. So I'd say go for the HD558's if you liked the 555's. 

Thats good to hear, i'm leaning toward 558

Quote:

No, I was going too but my heaphones broke before I could.

Thanks everyone!!! amazing replies!!!

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 17
Well, if OP decides to get the 558s, then he can do the foam mods then, turning them to 598s

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
XD the foam mod essencially turns your hd555's to hd595's. you've missed out on alot of potential for those phones. 

Except that the 595s are only marginally different, so he still got the gist of it.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm pretty sure that the foam mod on the 558 doesn't actually have the same effect as it did on the 555.  I think the 598 and 558 now have completely different drivers and everything, and the driver enclosure is also rather different.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the foam mod on the 558 doesn't actually have the same effect as it did on the 555.  I think the 598 and 558 now have completely different drivers and everything, and the driver enclosure is also rather different.

I remember reading that the drivers are the same but the only difference is the housing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back