Looking to buy a new digital camera
Sep 15, 2008 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hear_the_sound

Head-Fier
I figure I'm just going to do a bunch of research but you guys will be more helpful.

I want to spend around $300
Photo quality is most important
2nd is appearances

I've bought some highly rated cameras in the past that took bad pictures sooo please speak from first hand experience : )

Any suggestions?

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 20
I'm a big fan of Canon cameras. I have had four Canon digital cameras and if you don't drop them, they work fine (my wife just killed one).

I have a digital Elph and love it.
I have a Canon G5 and love it.
If I were to buy a new digital camera, I'd buy something by Canon with a viewfinder and it would be nice to run with AA batteries.

Check out the Canon lineup. Great cameras and good service if you need it.

Cheers!

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figure I'm just going to do a bunch of research but you guys will be more helpful.

I want to spend around $300
Photo quality is most important
2nd is appearances

I've bought some highly rated cameras in the past that took bad pictures sooo please speak from first hand experience : )

Any suggestions?

Photo quality is most important? Then don't waste your time with these P&S's. You gotta step up to the equipment that won't hold you back. The equipment where YOU will be the limiting factor, not the camera.

450$us
Nikon | D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm Lens | 25420
buy it and never look back.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Photo quality is most important? Then don't waste your time with these P&S's. You gotta step up to the equipment that won't hold you back. The equipment where YOU will be the limiting factor, not the camera.

450$us
Nikon | D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm Lens | 25420
buy it and never look back.

Technically the lens selection WOULD be holding you back there.
wink.gif
:p Just joshing, you Noinker! (Noink is an anagram, you can figure it out.)

But yeah. If image quality is paramount, go with a DSLR or at least a bridge camera (Canon G9 or S5IS) for quality.

If a point-and-shoot is all you want, the SD870IS a great deal. Absolutely gorgeous LCD, picture output and value for money.

EDIT: And all my advice is from first-hand experience. I own a Rebel XSi myself, and have advised two friends to buy the SD870IS and the S5IS, respectively, and both
were very satisfied.
EDIT2: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...S_Digital.html meets your price requirement at $239. I guarantee that this camera will produce really good pictures. Seriously.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically the lens selection WOULD be holding you back there.
wink.gif

Haha. I could live with the 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200 though, all of which work on the D40. ^_^
Joking, of course.

If you need photo quality and can live with the size of the DSLR, it's the way to go. If you NEED something smaller, then you're going to have to sacrifice some photo quality out of the camera. If you knew how to edit them up in software though, you can get past it.

If you need small, I'd seriously add the Nikon P5100 VR or something like the canon S5 IS or Sx110 IS to your list. Probably your best bets.

Edit: both the P5100 VR and SX110 IS are 280$us. That's so cheap!

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 20
Something else I'd like to add is that I'm not a skilled photographer and usually only take photos in the auto mode.

Will I see a big difference in photo quality between the cameras you mentioned?
(Some are in the 200's range whereas others are in the 400 range)

Also I'd appreciate something light-weight. Thanks
biggrin.gif

edit: I've changed my budget to $400

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something else I'd like to add is that I'm not a skilled photographer and usually only take photos in the auto mode.

Will I see a big difference in photo quality between the cameras you mentioned?
(Some are in the 200's range whereas others are in the 400 range)

Also I'd appreciate something light-weight. Thanks
biggrin.gif

edit: I've changed my budget to $400

You actually will see quite a difference between a DSLR in auto mode and a P&S in auto mode.

The DSLR is going to meter better (better exposed in general), has a better flash, will take sharper images, and will usually have better dynamic range. It will also have better ISO performance.

Go to your local camera store, and try taking a picture with a P&S and a DSLR in auto mode. See just what the difference is.

You'll also find the DSLR to be faster in many ways, which will lead to a better shot.

That's all in Auto mode. If you ever do decide to take up photography and start overriding auto settings, you'll get even better results!

There's more to it than that (DSLR Vs. P&S), but those are some of the things in terms of image quality.

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 20
I'm going to go against popular opinion and recommend a good point and shoot. The camera isn't what makes the picture good, the photographer does. If you are shooting all auto all the time, the flexibility of a DSLR will be totally wasted on you. Look for a point and shoot with a great lens. The recommendations of Canon are all spot on. You can't go wrong there.

I have a Nikon DSLR, an Olympus point and shoot and a $150 Casio pocket camera. They all shoot great pictures. Here is a picture I took last week with my pocket camera. It's sharp and has great color. The camera does what I want it to do, and it is always in my pocket. A camera that you have with you will always take better pictures than the fanciest camera at home sitting in its case.

Find a $300 camera that you feel comfortable with and shoot a lot of pictures.

See ya
Steve

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 20
Just bought a Sony DSC-W300 a week and a half ago. Takes nice pictures!
13.6MP, ISO 1600/3200, 3x optical zoom, F2.8 aperature, Titanium coated body, Optical viewfinder, 2.7" LCD. Great customer reviews overall. The lens is its weakest point, but adequate. CC has 'em for 329USD.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W300/W300A.HTM
Owners Opinions: Sony DSC-W300: Digital Photography Review

Here are some pics I took with it:
2854259766_35c111c82d.jpg

Outdoors, contrasty, bright sunlight...look at the shadow detail

2854299244_43d7cf4ace.jpg

Outdoors, contrasty, bright sunlight...look at the shadow detail

2864735294_b055ac156f.jpg

Dark hallway, available light, handheld.

2862109368_6c073ecd28.jpg

After sunset, fog coming over the hill, quite dark, actually.

The Canon SD950 is also a good choice:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...S/SD950ISA.HTM

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kendal3334 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also seeking one for myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Browse around, there's lots of threads on it already. If you just want a cheap(ish) point and shoot, Canon SD870IS like I said before.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 20
While quality is very important, it's important to factor in utility too. I take many more pictures with my Canon SD750 than I do with my D50 simply because I'm able to keep the SD750 in my pocket at all times. Also, because it takes excellent pictures - not up to the DSLR level in terms of high ISO performance or speed, but excellent pictures regardless.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 20
Have to agree w/ kwkarth. Also watch for the 2.8 on the lens, that's what you want. This is what I have ... it's very good.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N2 Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource

Then get one of these ..... $15 bucks at Target, and use your 2 second timer. If you don't have enough light , put it down and get away from it.
smily_headphones1.gif
You'll get your shot.

Sunpak 1000XL

You can shoot in program, and adjust the "EV" to lighten or darken it. I trust my camera, I shoot on auto all the time. Then I like to get a 5 or 7 second exposure sometimes. These are both on the pod.

DSC05719a1.jpg

DSC05638a1.jpg

I would also agree w/ the DSLR recommendation, but this can offer you convenience and quality. Once you max out, you can make the jump. I would look at the Sony cameras, I'm very glad we did (my gf has the DSC-W7). Enjoy.

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 20
I would second the Canon P&S lines. I own a SD850IS myself, and it takes great pictures, especially considering its size. Although it doesn't hold a candle against my pop's Fujifilm S2 Pro DSLR, it's cheap, it's small and convenient, and pictures look great from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back