Looking to build a dedicted computer/home setup, advice?
Jul 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
It's been quite some time since I've visited Head-Fi!  Recently I've been thinking of purchasing an Amp/DAC setup for home use, and since it's been quite a long time since I've been involved in all things headphones/amps/computer audio, I need a few nudges in the right direction.

Source: My main source will be my PC, most likely utilizing it's USB output or the optical output from my sound card.  Most of my music is FLAC.  I will also use the line out from my iPod.

Headphones: I'm already sold on the Sennheiser HD650/Cardas combo.  Many years and dollars ago that was my favorite headphone/cable combination, and I plan on re-purchasing them again.

I'm having a hard time deciding on a DAC/Amp to go with, however.  I really like the HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC and have had great experiences with HeadRoom and Tyll (is he still around?).  I really like that this unit will be flexible, and will allow me to use multiple sources.  The option to upgrade the power supply is also appealing.

And that's where my knowledge stops.  Can someone toss out a few more recommendations with an amp/DAC that will have similar capabilities as the HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC?  I'm not against purchasing the amp and DAC separately, as long as it's within the $800 price of the HeadRoom. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Firestone Audio;  http://www.audiophileproducts.com/ from Taiwan, but with various distributors have a very good reputation. They are small like the HeadRoom and have combined DAC/amps as well as separate, which gives you USB/optical flexibility. Prices are well within your budget and they are designed with PC used in mind.

I have the Fubar USB DAC with The Supplier PSU and get the most natural sounding music, with it and the rest of my kit, that I have experienced with any setup.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 3
Good recommendation, and even with the IV Plus Amp/DAC and Supplier PSU I still come in well under the cost of the HeadRoom.  I'll add that to my list of things to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back