Looking for the Perfect headphones (for me)
Sep 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Junh

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I joined yesterday, but I've been on this forum a lot in the past.
Over the past few months, I've contemplated getting headphones for leisure, and gradually, I've waited for the perfect headphones to appear.

Sadly, there were none.

And as time passed I started taking classes in music technology, and I have developed a large passion for it. As my requirements changed, so did my taste of headphones. 

But even then, choosing a pair of headphones was very difficult.

So I've come to the decision to ask all the audiophiles out there on this forum.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Less than $400
  1. Good sound quality, obviously (doesn't have to be like WOW)
  1. Sexy, and I'm using this word because I feel like you people's definition of cool or good looking doesn't quite cut it for me.
  2. Portable. This is a must. I don't want long cables (and if there are long cables, is there any device or method to shorten the cables? If so, please enlighten me.)
  3. Studio Quality, I make songs very frequently. I record guitar and bass just for reference. I don't know how I've survived this far with a pair of Ink'd earbuds...
  4. Comfortable, to the point where I could wear the headphones for days straight.
  5. Durable, Must last for at least 3 years before they start breaking.
  6. Looking for headphones that will knock the socks off of my friends (both when they see them and listen to them)

I also want you guys' opinions on brands and which are usually the best. My music technology professor adores AKG. I also like the K550's and the K701's (and all the other ones that look similar). Philip Fidelio L1's look pretty sweet too.I also want to know how big these headphones are (if I should get them) and if they're portable.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 4
The only headphone I find really targeting the "fashionable" and "sexy" styling would be the V-Moda M80s/newer M100s (haven't heard this one). They look gorgeous, are pretty portable, seem built to last (bendable headphone, exoskeleton carrying case, metal faceplates). Not sure about the studio reference worthiness though. Sort of "audiophile" neutral, but treble is laid back, and there's a warmth that comes from a slight broad bass emphasis. Maybe Beyer DT1350s sound-wise would be more for you, I find it to be very good looking. I've also never heard it before, but am pretty sure it would be what I'd get personally for a portable headphone.

Could you give us an idea on what you think to be good looking headphones? Pics or similar.

Sep 30, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I also want you guys' opinions on brands and which are usually the best. My music technology professor adores AKG. I also like the K550's and the K701's (and all the other ones that look similar). Philip Fidelio L1's look pretty sweet too.I also want to know how big these headphones are (if I should get them) and if they're portable.

I'm open to any suggestions.

The k550 seems to get great reviews from many.
http://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/  Headfonia gave it one of the best review ever. 
gs1000.gif
 It even said that it is better than headphones that cost more.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone Tyll Hertsens from Innerfidelity, known for his fair review, gave a great review for it as well and it is in his wall of fame. However, he did mention that the Denon D 2000 was slightly more refine however provide very bad isolation so is not a good portable option. 

However, I did tried the K550 once at a headphone store and found it to not fit my head well. Many have mention that one flaw of the k550 is that is you can achieve a good seal, the sound quality will drop.

On the other hand, Philip Fidelio L1 seems to be very competitive to the k550 as well. However, they lacked a little refinement on the higher scale (treble). 

Another option would be the Sennhiser Momentum. It looks really cool and has a great case that comes with it. It also seems to have a slightly better sound quality than the L1.

GL

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 4
A lot of the AKG's are very nice.
I really like the new Tiesto headphones, but I'm skeptical about the whole idea of companies using artists to sell their products.
The Fidelio's look nice, but they look cheap and unable to use in a studio. Same with the ATH-M50's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back