Looking for the best sounding player
Jan 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Quiz

Previously known as Sprkd1
My uncle has the first generation iPod touch and the sound quality is really bad, especially the bass. The bass sounds distorted and the overall sound of the player sounds "small" and not "full." If I connect my headphones (the same ones I use on that iPod touch) to my laptop the sound is MUCH better. Bass is there, everything is there, and the sound just sounds BIG (like I'm listening to bigger speakers). If I play Bassotronics "Bass, I Love You" song on the iPod touch, when one of the heavy/strong bass lines hit, the sound actually cuts in and out for a second or two. I know it's not the file because I have the same file on my laptop and it sounds great when I connect the headphones to the laptop.

I've researched this briefly and came to the conclusion that the Sony X Series is the best sounding player? Is this true? If so, does it come with an iTunes-like program to sync music?

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 19
By the way, how do the latest iPod classic and touch sound? What about the Zune? Is the Sony X Series still the best when compared to all of these?

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 19
Hifiman 801 can be considered for the best sounding player(at least on sheet spec), but your title of this thread and your post is different, in your post , u search for bass player

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hifiman 801 can be considered for the best sounding player, but your title of this thrad and your post is different, in your post , u search for bass player

I am not searching for a "bass player." I was just stating that the bass is really poor on the first generation iPod touch.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony X Series > Zune HD > iPod touch. 'nuff sed.

Where does the iPod classic fit in there? I have some iTunes bought songs which could be a problem syncing to the X Series if I get it. But I do know that if you burn a CD with iTunes bought songs and then rip them back to iTunes, they become "regular" files. Which programs can you sync the X Series with? Will Winamp work? Is Winamp any good? I've read that the software that comes with the X Series is rather poor. Is this correct?

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprkd1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where does the iPod classic fit in there? I have some iTunes bought songs which could be a problem syncing to the X Series if I get it. But I do know that if you burn a CD with iTunes bought songs and then rip them back to iTunes, they become "regular" files. Which programs can you sync the X Series with? Will Winamp work? Is Winamp any good? I've read that the software that comes with the X Series is rather poor. Is this correct?

Why do you need any program to sync? With the Sony you just drag and drop the files and do not need anything to sync.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you need any program to sync? With the Sony you just drag and drop the files and do not need anything to sync.

Sorry, but I'm a "slight" noob at this but how would I name songs correctly, add cover art, rip CDs, etc. like iTunes without a program like iTunes?

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprkd1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but I'm a "slight" noob at this but how would I name songs correctly, add cover art, rip CDs, etc. like iTunes without a program like iTunes?

You can do all that with mp3tag - Mp3tag - Download

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 19
New iPod Classic 160GB + Mustang + ALO Cryo dock + Klipsch iMage X10(sound amazing) but sony X and AMP3 Pro sound really good without AMPs help.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 19
Excuse me, but I think there's just a bit too much of "Best" threads on Head-Fi. OP, please search a bit.
That said, "Best" cannot be defined, especially sound quality. What's best is what suits your needs best. I bought an IPC because 1) 160GB of capacity, 2) LOD. If the Zune could LOD, I would have probably bought both, listen some, and return one.
Try different DAPs out, and judge for yourself. What sounds good to me doesn't mean it sounds good to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back