Looking for the best headset for gaming
Dec 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chackonman

New Head-Fier
Hey, i am looking for the best headset for mostly gaming but sometimes music aswell. This will be mostly in my room but always have a worry about my computer fans being too loud with a open ear headset but i'm open for either open or closed ear, at the moment i got a g35 and i really like how the padding surrounds my ear so it doesnt press against my ears at all which is cool, i'm worried about the open eared one not having much bass at all even though everyone has different opinions on what a little means so what someone says the bass is weak could be fine for me or not strong enough but who knows.

At the moment im looking at the Sennheiser HD598 which seems good but yeah i get mixed replies some people say its amazing for games others say its not too good for games but mostly only music than others say its got like no bass and such.

So i would love recommendations for like the top 5 or so headsets for gaming (and a reason why you think so) and a recommended sound card that is around the $100 mark that will be perfect for these or any other headset. 

Thanks for the help, choosing a headset is the hardest thing when buying PC equipment.........

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi all.  First time poster and realizing I am incredibly clueless after stumbling on this site.  I purchased the Beyer 300MMX for gaming since my wife is making me throw out my g35s since the side is cracked, one ear piece is hanging in the breeze and the fake leather is falling apart and coming off in little pieces after reading excellent reviews.  I have obviously only used USB for the last 2-3 years and even tossed my old sound card somewhere and have no idea what it was.  

In short a completely noob question: should I continue to use USB or buy a decent sound card?  

Malveaux why do you recommend the Titanium over the Xonar?  

And from reading the forums it seems that on a PC we should use a card over an amp.

Thanks so much in advance.  

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Hi all.  First time poster and realizing I am incredibly clueless after stumbling on this site.  I purchased the Beyer 300MMX for gaming since my wife is making me throw out my g35s since the side is cracked, one ear piece is hanging in the breeze and the fake leather is falling apart and coming off in little pieces after reading excellent reviews.  I have obviously only used USB for the last 2-3 years and even tossed my old sound card somewhere and have no idea what it was.  

In short a completely noob question: should I continue to use USB or buy a decent sound card?  

Malveaux why do you recommend the Titanium over the Xonar?  

And from reading the forums it seems that on a PC we should use a card over an amp.

Thanks so much in advance.  

USB is no good. Get a decent sound card. For gaming the Titanium should be the best. HD version for better sound quality

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Any more thoughts guys? at the moment im just thinking about getting the Astro A40 2013 edition my friend had a g35 and upgraded to the 2011 version of it recently and said it sounded great, so the 2013 edition has more tuned drivers so i should expect a great improvement over my g35.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys.  I decided on the Titanium HD with the Beyers.  I am hoping I don't have driver issues with the sound card.  That seems to be what most people complain about with the reviews.

Chackonman: I was doing a lot of reading about Astro and the consensus on a lot of reviews from sites was that the head phones weren't that good since Astro was acquired by a rap label and the only product worth buying was the mixamp which generally got good reviews all around.  I have no personal experience with them and I didn't read anything about the new 2013 version of the headphones since they are very new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back