Looking for the Best Headphones in the 100-200$ range
Apr 20, 2009 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aporcelainsky

New Head-Fier
I mostly listen to indie-rock, electronica, acoustic and other alternative types of music and am looking for a good set of headphones. Here are the requirements:

Do not require an amp (but may/may not sound better with an amp; as I may invest in one later down the road).
Sound isolation is fairly important as these will be both at home and portable headphones.
Appearance does also play a role since I'll be using them frequently outside of the house.
It'd be great if they weren't super bulky but full size is fine.

Used is not an issue. My price range is fairly loose as I'm looking for a good solid investment; so let's say 100-200$ (but I definitely can't justify spending more than 200$). Let me hear your thoughts!

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 20
FWIR the ESW9, if you can get it at that price, is a solid choice. However, as fraseyboy pointed out, more information would be good.

If you don't need isolation, Grados may be the way to go. I think there are some SR225s going in the For Sale forum now, those would be excellent if you don't care about leaking/isolation and to some extent comfort... My friend has SR225s and I found they sounded fantastic for pretty much all the rock I listen to (which is mostly prog and alternative). For electronic, I'm not so sure...

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aporcelainsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And fwiw, right now my eyes are pointing me towards the ATH-ESW9.

A very fine choice.

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 20
I have the HFI-780. I really like them and do not mind wearing them out of the house.

some say they are not very comfortable, but i have an average head and do not find them too uncomfortable or hot.

I am not a basshead by any means, but they have pretty stong bass if your into that. (almost too much for me)

They are great for movies also... I am still new into the high end headphones, but these were recommend more then any other in this price range (based on my search's)

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 20
Honestly, I think looks play somewhat of a factor as well, so Beyers are probably out of the question but those Ultrasone's look promising and seem to be getting some great reviews. And thoughts vs the Audio Technica's?

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 20
the ESW9 are great for their combination of portability, looks, and the fact that they arent IEMS lol. If i spent more time out of the house with my headphones, i would definitely pick up a pair. I am one of the few people who do not mind wearing IEMs, so i never needed a portable full sized headphone, but the ESW9 is definitely my top choice.

I am one of the people who found the HFI-780 to be uncomforable, but that shouldnt stray you from trying it out, it has a very enjoyable sound.

Beyers have never been on my list of favorite phones. I dont know if its the looks or the signature, but i prefer my D2000s over much of that line.

I would say don't do the head-fi thing where you second guess yourself for 3 months, then finally go with your original choice of phones... just get the ESW9s and decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back