Looking for the absolute best headphones for laptop use (no amp)
Jul 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

juggernaut303

Head-Fier
Right now i dont have an amp. planning on getting one soon but i would really like to find a pair of great headphones that can be driven by just a macbook pro. im totally open for suggestions and would love to look into stuff. my budget is pretty much anything, i just dont want to be restricted with an amp, since im moving around from place to place alot. 
Thanks! 

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 25
You might consider inner ear monitors (IEM), such as a set of Sennheiser IE-8's.

The draw back to your question, the impedance of the headphones being used and how much output the sound card in the laptop is capable of.

Example: Sennheiser HD-650 headphones have an impedance of 300 Ohms Vs Sennheiser IE-8 earphones which have an impedance of 16 Ohms.  You can see how much easier the IE-8's are to drive and how they can take advantage of the MacPro's limited output.

Hope the above helps.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 25
There are lots of headphones that will sound great through a laptop. They will improve with quality amplification, but they can be thoroughly enjoyable without it. I could live quite happily with my D7000s through a laptop. The Edition 8s are built for portable use and have many fans. If you want to go with IEMs and really be portable, check out the the JH Audio 13 or 16 pros. There are also the new T5ps that are coming out soon. Those would be some budget-free options.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 25
Grado SR225 + uDac dac /amp.  The grados sound amazing for the price and don't need an amp.  However once you are using decent headphones spring a little extra for a decent (and tiny/portable) dac so you can appreciate their musical potential.  Comparing well-recorded/lossless files I was floored by the sound differences between the laptop and udac headphone plugs.  If your budget allows move up the line to RS1, new or used.

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
Right now i dont have an amp. planning on getting one soon but i would really like to find a pair of great headphones that can be driven by just a macbook pro. im totally open for suggestions and would love to look into stuff. my budget is pretty much anything, i just dont want to be restricted with an amp, since im moving around from place to place alot
Thanks! 

If it fits your budget, you can consider a solid and portable dac/amp combo such as the iBasso D10 Cobra. This will open up your headphone choices.

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 25
Too bad the MBP doesn't have an Expresscard slot anymore. The Indigo DJ (PCI) had a decent, clean headphone amp that fit right in the slot, and the I guess the DJx has a decent headphone amp too. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 25
these are all great suggestions, for the most part i just move from place to place alot, and i want the best headphones i can get without having to bring any amp around with me. ive looked into grados and AKGs just wondering if there is any good ideas.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 25
Audio Technicas and Grados, I would think. Absolutely best, I have no idea, unless you're willing to spend a lot of money. Unless it's the Edition 8 (maybe the Beyer T5p, we don't know yet) you'll have to make compromises. And then you could consider custom IEMs, supposed to be amazing.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 25
It really depends on what genres of music you listen to.
Different headphones are suited to different styles of music.. espicially what your really looking for in music. Everyone has different tastes.
Maybe list a few of your favorite songs and people could give you some suggestoins to look into.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 25
well i listen to a wide array of music, heres some of the extremes
brace legs, by born of osiris.
ill be here awhile by 311
Love? by strapping young lad
thriller by michael jackson

those are some of my faves that are quite different, showing the array of music i listen to.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 25
possibly ATH-700 or SRH-840
doesn't seem like the music you listen to requires a lot of punchy bass. but possibly deep bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back