Looking for Speaker Amp to Use with Desktop Speakers & DAC/ Pre-Amp
Jan 5, 2010 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in the process of moving to a new home and will be reconfiguring my Computer Setup. I currently use a Headroom Desktop Amp/Dac from my iMac as a preamp to a Marantz Amplifier. I won't have the Marantz in my study in the new home so I am looking for a small amp to power a simple set of Orb desktop speakers. My Headroom Desktop Dac/ Amp will still be used as the preamp and control the volume so the amp needs to be fixed and simply have speaker outputs. The smaller the better.

The one Headroom sells here...

HeadRoom Desktop Stereo Amp 120v - Power Amplifier | HeadRoom Audio

...would be perfect however I cannot justify that price right now so I am looking for something along the lines of about $200. Obviously this will not be an audiophile speaker setup, and will mostly be used for HPs anyway. But I would like the option to get some nice clean sound from my computer to the Orbs.

Thanks for the help!

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 33
I use the Tweak City Audio Gizmo. It is a small two channel amp with a subwoofer output. Although it has volume controls, I don't use them and just have it set for maximum volume. As noted on the product page, if you don't use a subwoofer you need to use the max setting on the bass adjustment to counter the rolloff that occurs at 100 Hz. This will flatten out the frequency response.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 33
Thanks that is a really interesting device. Ideally I would like something with almost no controls, maybe a standby switch, so I can place it in the back of my desk and control all the audio from my Preamp like I do now.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 33
Jan 6, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 33
Thanks guys, all promising devices. But I really just need a speaker amp. I have invested a good bit of cash in the Headroom dac/ amp with upgrades and plan to use it primarily for headphones and with this setup exclusively. Would just like to have the option of listening to my small speakers every once in awhile.

I know they make bigger ones for room setups, I just want a smaller one for smaller speakers.

0000015010_3506.jpg

0000015010_3507.jpg

Headroom's would be perfect except for the $900 price tag and I do not need the audio quality it most likely produces. But the pics above give an idea on the form factor. Also the device should be fixed because I would like to avoid double amping.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 33
Nuforce Icon Amp (not to be confused with the Icon which has a DAC and headphone out)
Big Joe Amp (several versions)
Travagans Red

These three have small footprints and are in the $200 range.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 33
You can find Adcom GFA-535's around used for under $200. It's a pure power amp with 50 watts RMS (I believe). Thats what I'm going to be using on my desktop, it has a small foot print if you stand it on its end, it weighs about 30lbs so its not likely to tip over easily.

I'm still working my desktop setup but I had it hooked up to a set Lineup F4s (DIY design) for a test run and I was hearing details in recordings I didn't even know was possible. It was a very impressive combo.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 33
You could also get a Sonic T-amp. It presumably pairs well with the orbs since they sell a rebranded one with the orbs on their website for a mini 2-channel system. Another option is the Pyle PCA/PTA 1/2 which range from 15-40 Watts and cost only $50 but those may have more controls than you are looking for.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 33
i think that if using a t-amp, your speakers need to be fairly efficient - just a note.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 33
The Sonic Impact and the Big Joe are both class T amps based on the same chip from Tripath (AFAIK they are the same chip) but the two are built very differently. The SI is very cheaply built where as the Firestone is built like quality piece of audio gear. The SI is fine if you just want something to get the job done but something like the Firestone Big Joe or Trends Audio T-amp are substantially better amps.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 33
What are the big differences between the Big Joe I and Big Joe II besides all the accessories that come with the II? Also will the Big Joe handle most medium sized bookshelf speakers. I may use some slightly larger speakers than the Orbs in my office and move the Orbs to the TV room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back