Looking for Speaker Amp to Use with Desktop Speakers & DAC/ Pre-Amp
Jan 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #31 of 33
Yeah the Big Joe II just has more power and the newer TI chip might might have better sound quality, thats the main issue.

The Trends is one of the best T amps you can get and not having to go through two preamp sections (volume pots) is a good thing. If you are just gona use this on the desktop it should be fine Orbs included.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the process of moving to a new home and will be reconfiguring my Computer Setup. I currently use a Headroom Desktop Amp/Dac from my iMac as a preamp to a Marantz Amplifier. I won't have the Marantz in my study in the new home so I am looking for a small amp to power a simple set of Orb desktop speakers. My Headroom Desktop Dac/ Amp will still be used as the preamp and control the volume so the amp needs to be fixed and simply have speaker outputs. The smaller the better.

The one Headroom sells here...

HeadRoom Desktop Stereo Amp 120v - Power Amplifier | HeadRoom Audio

...would be perfect however I cannot justify that price right now so I am looking for something along the lines of about $200. Obviously this will not be an audiophile speaker setup, and will mostly be used for HPs anyway. But I would like the option to get some nice clean sound from my computer to the Orbs.

Thanks for the help!

I have recently ordered this combo due to its spec/price.
Temple Audio Bantam. High Quality Class T-Amp.

It seems to be a good value for money amp, check it out
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #33 of 33
First off thanks to everyone for the suggestions. What a great resource this site can be when you really need a niche product.

I ended up getting the Trends SE. It came down to that one or the Big Joe, but what sealed it was that Ken at ALO carries the Trends and I like the idea of supporting a sponsor and I know from experience he has great CS.

I will report back on my impressions but it may be a while before it is set up in my new office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back