Looking for Speaker Amp to Use with Desktop Speakers & DAC/ Pre-Amp
Jan 9, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the big differences between the Big Joe I and Big Joe II besides all the accessories that come with the II? Also will the Big Joe handle most medium sized bookshelf speakers. I may use some slightly larger speakers than the Orbs in my office and move the Orbs to the TV room.

They look like completely different amps. Looks like the Big joe II is designed around a Texas Instruments chip (TPA3100D2) where as the 1.3 uses the Tripath, the II has 20 watts into 8ohms vs. the 8 watts of the 1.3 so thats a pretty big difference.

Just so you know if you are using the speakers on a desk smaller speakers will work better in nearfiled. I would think either one would power the Orb speakers fine. Maybe you can find a used 1.3 version Big Joe.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #18 of 33
Just look at the specs, 20 watts (Big Joe II) is more than 8 watss (Big Joe 1.3).

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #19 of 33
That is what I assumed, but it just seems odd that the II would have more power and all the accessories (the one doesn't even come with a power cable) and they are the same price. What is the advantage of the I? Just synergy with easier to drive speakers?

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #20 of 33
I'm sure the I comes with a power cable, I don't think it comes with speaker cables because it uses standard 5 way binding posts where as the II uses RJ45 connectors and CAT5/6 cable.

Hard to say if there is any advantage of going with the I. The Tripath might be a better chip amp but it's hard to say since I didn't see any in depth specs on the TI chip, I bet the TI a pretty good chip though. It could be that the TI chip is just as cheaper and better than the Tripath, the Tripath is has been out for awhile now and probably a bit dated compared to the newer designs.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 33
I actually read a review that stated no power cord came with the I. Perhaps they have changed it but there is no mention of one in the description. My concern with the II is the proprietary speaker cables. Not a lot of options if you want to change them out. I am also concerned that the connectors on the speaker end will not fit into the clasps on the Orbs.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #22 of 33
I'm sure it dose, it sort of has to since it uses and an external power supply. You can email Audiophile products if you want to make sure, they are very friendly people.

Its not as common but they have been making speaker cable with CAT5 for awhile now. You can easily change the end of the cable if it dosn't fit the Orbs, you could also make your own cables, it's not that hard. What kind of connection do they use?

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #23 of 33
cinco480.gif

Its not a great picture but it gives you some idea. You push the clasp up on the back of the speaker and it open a small hole. I just fear the banana plugs that are on the speaker end of the II's cable will be too big. The Orbs are pretty small overall. However I suppose I could just cut the banana plugs off and thread the wire. That is basically how I have it now with simple speaker cable.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #24 of 33
Looks like spring loaded binding posts, they should take the banana plugs. If not just use bare wire like you said.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #28 of 33
Sure but you still have the power limitations.

Is your DAC & Preamp one unit or are they two separate devices? If its two boxes you could use a Y splitter cable from the DAC with one connector going to your preamp / headphone amp and the other your desktop amp.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #29 of 33
If you don't mind doing a little DIY, this amp MKIII Tripath TA2020 PCB 25watt Class-T amplifier SET on eBay.ca (item 250549914587 end time 15-Jan-10 21:59:36 EST) would probably do a good job for you. The vendor has a pretty good rep on some of the other DIY sites, and the parts look like very good quality. Some of the posts I've read have said that his amps are the best sounding of all the Chinese T-AMPs (kits and otherwise that are on EBAY) without any tweaking. He even includes an ALPs Blue Velvet pot (if the picture is truthful), which you could leave out, and control the volume from your computer. He might even cut you a deal if you ask him to send you a kit without the pot. I've been playing with a cheap TA2024 board, and have been thinking about trying one of his for fun .

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #30 of 33
Dac and amp is in one enclosure. It is a Headroom Desktop Amp w/ Dac. What power limitations are you referring to? Are you saying the Big Joe will have more power than the Trends? Sorry, I guess I am little naive to these kind of amps.

Also, I have no intention of driving anything more than desktop speakers. At this point I am 99% sure those speakers will be the Orbs, so I don't need much power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back