Looking for Speaker Amp Builders
Apr 10, 2015 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fleasbaby

Member of the Trade: Wabi Sabi Headphones
Hi All,

I am looking about for folks who build amps. Specifically, I am looking for a decent amp to power some bookshelf speakers. I'll be plugging a phono pre-amp into it (if someone knows someone who also makes phono pre-amps, I'd be interested in talking to them as well). I guess this should actually be a want ad, but I thought I would start here :).

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're shy.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 4
Any specifics? Tubes or Solid State? What sensitivity are your speakers? Will you be using a powered sub? Do you need input selection and volume control? Class A / Class AB / Class D? Budget? 

I am pretty flexible. Tubes are something I'd explore if they came up, but I am pretty happy with Solid State. I don't have the speakers yet, but they will be small bookshelf ones. One input is fine. Two would be a bonus. Class is not something I have considered, so I am open there as well. Budget. Hoping to keep things below $200 for the phono and the amp. I realize that might be a pipe dream though. :)

You can purchase remarkably good power amplifiers on eBay and similar sites for pennies on the dollar -- less than the cost of just the case to build one. Unless you are looking for something really specific, I'd go that route.

So you're recomending a power amp plugged into....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back