Looking for Sony XB500 & Creative SB Audigy (2/4) soundcard users
Apr 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #16 of 19
Just got my XB500 in the mail a few days ago and all your posts about the amazing synergy between the KX Project and the XB500 made me go digging through all my old stuff for my Creative card and so far it sounds great even though am only using a 10 band equalizer in the dsp.

What else besides the EQ are you using I been looking at all the crazy plugins and am kinda of lost but been having a lot of fun trying them out and tweaking with the settings.

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 19
Try this config but please test it without an amp for now in case you'd have one (this is tweaked for use without amp):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63937904/kX%20Audio/kX-XB500-No-amp-RPGWiZaRD.kx

Installing steps

1. Right click in the kX GUI -> Settings -> Load Settings... and browse to the kx config file
2. Change your output device in control panel to "Wave Out 4/5" output device
3. Check you volume settings!!! Swapping output device it's default set to 100 volume in the lower right corner in the taskbar where you normally change volume. Lower this slider to something like 28-31 (this is roughly what I'd concider normal listening volumes)

Optional but heavily recommended:

4. Try this foobar2000 config: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63937904/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone-RPGWiZaRD/foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone.%28Forward%29-RPGWiZaRD.zip (Just extract it somewhere, it's already preconfigured and start it up from there and load some mp3s to the playlist for testing)

Been a while since I tried this config but I'm actually suprised how great it still sounds like when giving it a quick try.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #18 of 19
Wow that setup sounds amazing the bass is pretty strong and the mids and highs come through pretty nicely even when the bass drops. I had to change it around a little bit tho it seems like the CLEax2Reverb is a little too much for my Sound Blaster Live it doesn't have enough registers to support it along with everything else. I might have to invest in an Audigy they seem pretty cheap now a days. 

I have this setup now:

Am not entirely sure how the Surrounder+ is suppose to work tho I'll have to test it out with some games.

Thanks again for uploading your setup it amazing how much potential the XB500 has with a little bit of tweaking

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #19 of 19
Yea I figured you'd say bass is pretty strong but I say why not when you can still make mids and highs shine through better than stock XB500 with less bass even. :) But yea just tweak the EQ to your liking if you feel like it it's just no other EQ I've used allows such a drastic increase in the frequencies in the whole range without distorting or sounding weird, it works kinda like a "software amp" which brings a more forward and dynamic sound to my ears which I personally love. It's this capability which kX Audio has which is what I wanted to demonstrate. With digiZoid ZO amp you can get a similar result without the need of EQing (ok well XB500 still needs some balancing to sound right). I've yet to find another source that would allow such a transparent sound together with that powerful bass response.

Surrounder+ adds a bit of positional sound.

Seems like since I've updated the foobar2000 config since the days I used to be rocking this setup it doesn't fit as nicely with it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back