Looking for something for MPB/Tropicalia around $200
Dec 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

winenerd

New Head-Fier
So I've come back to this forum after quite a long departure, and I'm enjoying myself so far. The headphone world has changed so much in the past 6 years, it's crazy. Anyway, so far I've purchased a pair of Sony M1HC's and Ultrasone HFI 550's that I grabbed for cheap on eBay (always wanted to try these back in the day, but they were much much more expensive back then). These have been great for house music which is one of my most listened to genres. I usually listen to that when I'm attempting to hone my design skills.  However, I usually listen to MPB/Tropicalia music when I'm honing my wine tasting skills and I'm not thrilled with the 550's for that.

So, now I'm looking for something in the $200 range (I don't mind buying used) for this purpose. They can be open or closed. My source for now will be my computer>Xonar DS or DAC>Some desktop amp (I'll probably decide on an amp to match these headphones). If I can find some albums, I'll be using an analog source eventually. Aspects I'm looking for are detailed mids for vocals and guitars, potent mid/upper bass, and a detailed, but smallish/intimate soundstage.

I was thinking Grado's, 225 or 325, or Beyer DT990's perhaps? 225's and DT770's were my favorites back in the day, and I didn't care much for HD580's. Now that there are so many more options I'd like to try something new though. So that leads me to the question, what else is out there for this style of music?

And for anyone who doesn't know these genres here's some of my favorite songs.

Thanks for any help you can provide! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back