Looking for Some Idea... Closed, Circumaural, $200 or Less
Jan 1, 2011 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
I think the subject pretty much sums it up.  My father is looking for a new pair of headphones, as my old HD570 just isn't getting it done for him anymore.  He was looking around at Best Buy and the QuietComfort caught his eye.  I've been trying like hell to talk him out of it, since he doesn't really need noise cancelling and I don't want him wasting his money on Bose.  I've managed to convince him that a good pair of closed cans is all he needs.  Now I just need to find something for him.  Requirements as follows:

- Circumaural
- Closed
- $200 or less
- Going to be used with an iPod Classic and straight out of the onboard sound of his Dell, so he needs something easy to drive

I know that isn't an ideal setup, so don't even bother with any amp/DAC suggestions.  He won't go for it because he doesn't care that much.  He just wants a sweet pair of new cans.  I'll be doing my research and putting a short list together for myself, but in the meantime if anyone would like to offer up some suggestions that match the aforementioned criteria, please feel free.  Thanks for any suggestions and happy new year Head-Fi!

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Denon D1100's or Audio Technica M50's

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 5
The D1100 and M50 are two that I had in mind.  Having tried neither myself, I've been led to believe (based on what I've read) that the Denon's are more comfortable.  That said, I'd probably pick the Denon's over the AT's.  I also had my eye on the Shure SRH840.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
The D1100 and M50 are two that I had in mind.  Having tried neither myself, I've been led to believe (based on what I've read) that the Denon's are more comfortable.  That said, I'd probably pick the Denon's over the AT's.  I also had my eye on the Shure SRH840.

The M50's are good cans, if your dad likes bass.
Otherwise, if he wants a more flat response (less bass) get the 840's. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 5

What about the D1100.  How do those compare to the SRH840 and M50?

Quote:
Quote:

The M50's are good cans, if your dad likes bass.
Otherwise, if he wants a more flat response (less bass) get the 840's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back