Looking for some headphones to use for an iPod
Jan 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

RunOfTheMill

New Head-Fier
I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to audio output, so please bare with me.

I've always used those cheap earphones that you get with an iPod, and they always break after a few months. So I was hoping to get some advice and suggestiions on relatively good quality headphones that would last me a while.

So I here's any relevant info I can give you:

- I mostly listen to heavy metal and hard rock, so something that has dynamic, clear and loud sound would be preferable
- My budget is 150$
- I use an iPod Touch 4G (if that's any help)

I'm not against the idea of earphones either, as long as they'd be durable, but headphones are what I'm looking for mostly.

Also a friend of mine would be willing to sell me Beats for 100$. Now I know Beats have a terrible reputation amongst audiophiles and are overrated beyond understanding, but it's just an option.

Any help is appreciated 
smile.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 21
Beats are not a tremendously good option when quality is concerned.  See Tyll's links to their measurements ( listed below ).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/monster-beats-dr-dre-pro

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/monster-beats-dr-dre-solo

They, in general, do not come close to outperforming headphones at or below their price points.

I think a pair of Grado SR-80's would be a great fit for you.  They run just under $100 and sound really fun with heavy metal and hard rock.
They are an open headphone and will leak a little sound to the outside world.  If this is a problem go with either the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Creative Aurvana Live both can be found new under $100.

Grado
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/grado-sr-80i.php

ATH-M50
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50.php

Creative Aurvana Live!
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

In the long run I would suggest saving up for a pair of V-Moda M80 / V80 headphones.  They sound amazing, look awesome, and are built like a tank.  They are a closed design and isolate quite well for an on-ear design.  I found them really comfortable too.  They run $200 for the M80 and a little less for the V80 which sounds the same, but has some TrueBlood logos on it.

The best for heavy metal and rock of the bunch would be the Grado other than the more expensive V-Moda M80 or V80.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 21
Save up a lil more and buy the HD-25 I II, they are solid built and excel with such aggressive genres like metal. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 21
The KRKs are known as a good bargain, and are especially pushed by the few that own them. I cannot comment on them, but considering you're using an iPod the Grados are most likely out. As NA Blur mentioned, they're open headphones. This means that there's not protection between the headphone drivers and the outside world. It created a very nice sound, but everyone around you hears your music. The M50 is a good headphone if you like a slightly bassy sound, but its mids are a bit recessed and not as clear as other cans in the price range, meaning guitars and vocals don't come out as much as they could. The CAL! is a nice value and often recommended, but I, like the KRK, cannot comment because I've never owned one. The HD-25 I II is a great portable headphones, but is a bit out of your price range and, being on-ear, will leak some sound.

When it comes to amping, the Grados won't need an amp but will need an 1/4"-to1/8" adapter for iPod use. The M50 is good without an amp but really shines with one, and I'd recommend buying one. The CAL! shouldn't really need an amp, but like most cans it benefits from a good amp, and the HD-25 I II has the same situation as the CAL!.

Hope this clears some things up.

Sincerely,

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:

Where in the world can you find ATH M50s for under $100?

I don't think you can buy them that cheap anymore unless you get them used from someone here or off ebay. Amazon had them for $109 a couple months ago but for some reason the prices tend to fluctuate a lot when you're dealing with headphones.

oh yea and i also recommend the m50, it's a really great starter headphone

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 21
The M50 is no longer found anywhere for a good price. I'm assuming that rhythmdevils, as a Headphoneus Supremus, is joking in blindly recommending the M50s like so many first-timers, but if he provides evidence to discount me I will rescind my comment. Sometimes higher-ranking users will joke around on recommendations to point out the stupidity of those who blindly recommend the M50s ("Looking for a portable open headphone with active noise cancelling? M50!!!"), considering the mass of better options out there.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 21
Well, the M50s are down to $120 at Sound Professionals, which is the absolute highest price I'd suggest someone buy the M50s at right now. I'd never suggest it at $150-160. Under $100 was a great price, but now it's merely an okay price. 

Quote:
The M50 is no longer found anywhere for a good price. I'm assuming that rhythmdevils, as a Headphoneus Supremus, is joking in blindly recommending the M50s like so many first-timers, but if he provides evidence to discount me I will rescind my comment. Sometimes higher-ranking users will joke around on recommendations to point out the stupidity of those who blindly recommend the M50s ("Looking for a portable open headphone with active noise cancelling? M50!!!"), considering the mass of better options out there.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:

I was making fun of the M50 noob hype and making fun of the backlash hype against the M50.  It's a great headphone even at 160 IMO.  I haven't heard the CAL but I am not impressed by the other Denons. 

But if you don't need a closed, portable phone there are other options.  I guess

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 21
Wow, thanks for the advice guys!

About those V-Moda headphones, they interest me a lot, and I might be willing to increase my price range.
Yes, sound-cancelling is another feature I'm keen on (shoulda mentionned that earlier...), so the V-80 sounds especially good. By TrueBlood logos, I suppose you mean like this? -> http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/trublood-v80-2-tb.jpg In which case I don't mind at all.

If the quality doesn't decrease sharply, the CAL! or KRK sound better for my price range, so I might go with one of those. I'd be more interested in ones that might accentuate on bass guitar a little more, so any info on that'd be great.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 21
+1 for the HD-25's! Quick word of caution. If you are planning to use these headphones in public, Grados are most definitely out, both for look and lack of isolation.. These suggestions look pretty solid otherwise. V/M-80's or AIAIAI TMA-1's would be my second choice.
The for sale section is your friend. 
smile.gif

Great guide by Boomana (I hope you don't mind my sharing):
http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back