Looking for some decent closed headphones, $600 budget.
Aug 28, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #18 of 46
Thanks everyone, a lot of useful information here. If the budget was increased to $1000, would there be a significant jump in quality? If so, what would your recommendations be in that case. Please excuse the ignorance, I've played with a lot of open headphones, but know little about the closed headphones market. I'm flexible if it makes a big difference. For reference, I've owned the LCD-2 years ago and loved the sound signature, but wanted a little more soundstage and sparkle to the highs. I loved the ATH-Ad2000 but wanted more low end extension.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #19 of 46
Thanks everyone, a lot of useful information here. If the budget was increased to $1000, would there be a significant jump in quality? If so, what would your recommendations be in that case. Please excuse the ignorance, I've played with a lot of open headphones, but know little about the closed headphones market. I'm flexible if it makes a big difference. For reference, I've owned the LCD-2 years ago and loved the sound signature, but wanted a little more soundstage and sparkle to the highs. I loved the ATH-Ad2000 but wanted more low end extension.

Closed: MrSpeakers AEON Flow $799, ZMF Atticus $999, Fostex TH-900 $1,100, B&W P9 $900, probably some others from Ultrasone, Audio Technica, etc. Cannot help you with sound as I've not heard any of these.

If you can do an open-back one you can get the Audeze LCD-2's for $699 at Adorama:

https://www.adorama.com/aulcd2lbtc....t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Most people here would tell you to just buy the LCD-2's. At that price, you cannot do better. I would buy these myself but I can't use open-back headphones. :frowning2:

Edit: If you are not seeing the $699 price hold down shift when you click on the link.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #21 of 46
Check out the forums for a used Alpha Prime. It has a neutral sound signature with a hint of warmth to it. Spot on imagining, great instrument separation and exceptional soundstage for a closed headphone (probably one of the best). Dan actually tried to modify this headphone so it can sound as close to the Audeze house-sound as possible. A great comparison would be to the LCD-X, just closed. The only real gripe I have with them is a treble peak here and there. Also, they basically look like ovation headphones from the 70's. You WILL feel like some sort of other-world creature.

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #22 of 46
Closed: MrSpeakers AEON Flow $799, ZMF Atticus $999, Fostex TH-900 $1,100, B&W P9 $900, probably some others from Ultrasone, Audio Technica, etc. Cannot help you with sound as I've not heard any of these.

If you can do an open-back one you can get the Audeze LCD-2's for $699 at Adorama:

https://www.adorama.com/aulcd2lbtc....t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Most people here would tell you to just buy the LCD-2's. At that price, you cannot do better. I would buy these myself but I can't use open-back headphones. :frowning2:

Edit: If you are not seeing the $699 price hold down shift when you click on the link.

I used to own the LCD-2 years ago and loved then. From memory, I think I wished for a slightly larger soundstage and more shimmer to the highs, but absolutely loved the mids and bass response. Both perfect.

I'm currently looking at the Fostex TH-X00 drops on Massdrop... trying to decide which one to try out for the genres I'm into.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 46
For $600 i'd recommend either the Audioquest NightOwl or Fostex TH610.

I second the 610, only because I own it. Bias indeed. But it has some punch if you like hip hop. Some say it's pretty neutral in the fostex line... So I guess that's good for a bit of everything?

Oh yea, it's Damn sexy. Matte wood. Travel and look good out. But it's semi-closed so a bit of sound might be noticeable. Oh yea and detachable cable, if you travel you might go shorter cable im assuming.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #26 of 46
I've taken interest recently in closed headphones, accumulating the Fostex TH-900, Ultrasone Edition 8, and Sony MDR-Z7.

Sound quality for me is TH-900 > Edition 8 > Z7. However, each has a special purpose, and I use them all about equally:

TH-900: when I want the sound and quality of a top notch open headphone, but need sound isolation and/or not disturb others;

Edition 8: when I want portability/wearability using them while walking dogs;

Z7: when I want to listen to synthetic music (e.g., electronic, dance, trance) and have an entirely new perspective on that music.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #27 of 46
Save lots of money, spend it on whisky or beer and get a pair of DT150s

(EDIT just realised they do cost Americans nearly twice as much as they do in the Olde World but still decent value considering nothing else that will be recommended can be significantly better) :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #28 of 46
I love the headphones in $400-600 range, stepping up to $1000 for something on the road is unnecessary.

Definitely second the Massdrop TH-X00s recommendations. I have the TH900s already but otherwise I'd go for the PH w/ perforated pads or the EB with hybrid or full lambskin pads. But again, these aren't completely close backs so you'll get considerable leakage both ways.

I'd also like to throw in the B&W P7. Love that you have the wireless option, but can go wired for slight but noticeably better SQ. These tick a lot of boxes for portable hifi cans.

x

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #29 of 46
I love the headphones in $400-600 range, stepping up to $1000 for something on the road is unnecessary.

Definitely second the Massdrop TH-X00s recommendations. I have the TH900s already but otherwise I'd go for the PH w/ perforated pads or the EB with hybrid or full lambskin pads. But again, these aren't completely close backs so you'll get considerable leakage both ways.

I'd also like to throw in the B&W P7. Love that you have the wireless option, but can go wired for slight but noticeably better SQ. These tick a lot of boxes for portable hifi cans.

x

The biggest thing holding me back is the isolation, being that I'll be using this a lot in environments with a lot of noise around. Also, I've heard the cables are like a garden hose... and I'll be listening to these mostly in the back of my van, or on the move.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #30 of 46
I think I've decided on purchasing the AQ Nightowl, MrSpeakers Aeon and Oppo PM-3, then sending back the two I don't like as much. Does anyone here mainly use their headphones from an iPhone and/or Macbook Pro? I'm looking for a portable amp/dac that would work well with this setup that doesn't require a wall socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back