Looking for reviews of the SPL Auditor or has the Phonitor taken attention away from it's smaller sibling??
Jan 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Syan25

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there anyone out there who can tell me more about the SPL Auditor?  I would love to know more about this amp - I heard it today using HD600's and HD 800's - but I would be very happy if someone out there could tell me more about the pros and cons of this amp...

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 24
Thanks - I have read those. I do wish there was more information though. In terms of more reviews.... 

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 24
I heard there was quite a bit of info in the phonitor thread. I bet you've probably read that too though.

Well, you'll just be forced to seek one out and listen to it. After all, that's the best way to actually find out whether it's any good.

If you do get to audition one, please come back and share your experience!

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 24
I did get a chance to hear it yesterday with the DT880 - 600 ohms and HD 600. I wasn't impressed and I want to know why I wasn't. So I wanted to read more about it..

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 24
I misread your OP. Apologies. 

That's disappointing. I've always wanted a Phonitor and I thought the Auditor would be a good contender at that price point.
You tested with my two phones too. Sigh.

Did you compare it to anything else? Also, did you audition in England? It's taken me a while to find quality headphone amp dealers in the UK. 

Cheers

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 24
I mentioned the Auditor in this thread where I later compared to an M3: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511201/review-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd800

(look for the "Post-review amp comparison installments" links added to the top of post #1)

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 24
Actually no. I was home in the UK for three weeks just this December in the bleak of winter. But I had a terrible time finding any shops that sold decent audio equipment.

I could not even find one shop where I could audition the DT 880s. I am back in Taiwan now - and there are three great shops for auditioning headphones and amps..

I have a suspicion that the Auditor might work better with less neutral phones - because the DT-880 are also fairly neutral. Perhaps the matching isn't the best in the world. The HD 600 faired better on the Auditor though. I do think the source component was probably the issue to be honest. Like I said the SACD player was a Thule and the whole sound was kind of fuzzy...

But I have read that the Phonitor is a much better amp - especially since you have the cross-feed filters as an option to your listening. The thing is - with the headphones you have - you may want something with a different sound. I can't tell you about the Phonitor but the Auditor had excellent sound quality but instrumental separation wasn't as good as I have heard from other amps - and the sound staging wasn't wide enough for my tastes. But it was very natural sounding if fuzzy and I think that lack of clarity was the source not the amp...

I did test the Auditor with the Tesla 1 and the HD800 - and they also sounded much better than the DT 880. So unfortunately my favorite headphone was the only one I thought was the worst sounding on that amp.

But there was nothing truly remarkable about that amp that made me think it was any better than other amps in the market..

H

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 24
Interesting. I weep sometimes at the lack of Head-Fi dealers in the UK. I've tried to befriend a couple of independent dealers who have tried to get items in for me on request but it's hard.
Which were the other amps in the market that you looked at?

Doubtless, you found an abundance of Creek, Project and Graham Slee. Those guys are everywhere. The Slees sound good but I think they're a little overpriced considering it's a UK based company.
When I was looking, I tried to find an Auditor to test against the Slee Solo and the Lehmann BCL (which I bought) but couldn't find a dealer.
The LBCL is very detailed and fast but doesn't pair amazingly well with the 880s. I thought the Auditor might do a better job of satisfying both my 880s and 600s.
I've got no regrets about the purchase though.

About the SACD player, I'd say you might enjoy trying a DAC and PC. Whenever I've done tests, I've used high quality FLAC rips. With a good DAC, you can be sure you're hearing the amp and not the source or the music compression. 
Luckily I've got the ability to run optical TOSLINK out of my laptop so I can take it wherever I need.
Hoffman's Joni Mitchell Blue, the Kind Of Blue SACD remaster and Brian Wilson Smile are all incredible in high def.

Do you just use your McIntosh gear at home?

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 24
Yeah - UK shops really suck...same with buying CDs now...everything is online - which in some ways is great from the point of view of information - but if I want to hear the equipment first - then you can't. Asia definitely has more options...I ended up in Tottenham Court Road on London looking in that string of audio shops to audition anything....

When I want to sit down and just listen - I go the way of my hi-fi area...in my apartment...The McIntosh is awesome and the sound coming through to my phones is superb.

but when at the PC - I use the Yulong D100 DAC - I also use ALAC files, The D100 is also a head amp. Quite lovely really for the price (250 pounds me thinks). Considering it isn't top end - it sounds close enough. It's from China - but don't let that stop you from looking at the reviews on here...it is well praised...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/yulong-d100

For amps - have you looked at any Ray Samuels products?

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com

I am a big fan of his for headphone amps - he is one of the greats in my opinion. I am close to owning too of his - he builds and designs his amps himself - using the HD600s for reference. He is such a great guy and very helpful. I read a review which said the HR-2 amp (more affordable for me at the moment) has a special synergy with the HD600 and DT 880.
His amps are perhaps warmer that some European models which I think is a good partner for the DT 880 and the sound- staging, clarity, instrumental separation are awesome... 
It is an american company and I heartily recommend his products...

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 24
TBH, I'd (wrongly) assumed that Ray Samuels only built portable amps.

The HR-2 looks very nice. Obviously the B-52 does too but I may never be able to justify £5000 on a single Hi-Fi component.

At the moment, I may be on track to buy another DAC but I've only recently bought my Lehmann so Ray will have to wait.

I'm intrigued to hear you rating the Yulong so highly when you use McIntosh as your main rig.

BTW, I'm just listening through Conflict, Compassion and Satyagraha. Followed the link in your sig.
Thoroughly enjoying it. I can't say I usually listen to solo piano compositions. The nearest I've got is the late great Esbjorn Svensson. 
I'm thinking of digging some Keith Jarrett out of the vaults to follow it up though.

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #13 of 24
Ah well - the McIntosh is a different world from the Yulong but for a reasonably priced DAC - it performs well above its price.

I am extremely surprised that you took the time to hear those pieces. Thank you so much! Yes - Keith is a big influence as you already know..

If I had the dosh - I would have certainly opted for the Raptor - but I don't so...

BTW - I'm from Leeds originally...

I was thinking of re-cabling my DT-880s but not sure if it is worth it for sound alone - the cable doesn't seem so sturdy for me...have you had any experience with re-cabling headphones?
I will almost definitely re-cable the HD600s with the Cardas HD600 cable

H

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 24
I'm very tempted to recable my 600s. I was thinking of using double helix cables. If I buy a DAC, I'll be a bit strapped for cash and they do a budget recable for $160.
As for the DT880, I'd need to research into the difference in sound sig you get with re-cabling.
I love my DT880s but I wouldn't want them any crisper.

I'm looking at the Benchmark and Lavry DACs at the moment but if I go for one of those it'll take some saving and working before I can justify the cost.

You don't need to thank me for listening to you play. I'm constantly searching for new artists from all genres to listen to.
Although the only regular giging I do now is DJing dubstep, I've played alto sax in pro and amateur big bands and bass and guitar in various outfits from funk to rock.
When I'm playing regularly, I try to listen to which ever genres completely oppose the genre I'm playing. I feel it keeps everything fresh.
I'm DJing Dubstep now so I'm listening to a lot of Jazz, a lot of old west-coast rock and folk (CSN and Joni) and I'm trying to get into more 20th and 21stC classical (starting with Debussy).
Last night I went on a pianist binge. I mentioned Keith and Esbjorn but I followed them up with some Oscar Peterson (Night Train), Herbie Hancock (Maiden Voyage) and Marcin Wasilewski (who plays with Manu Katche on Neighbourhood).
Who are your other influences? Anyone I should listen to?

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 24
Regarding Benchmark - I've always wanted the DAC-1(benchmark) and I would love to get hold of the LAVRY D11 - but now I have to stop because I'm also replacing my studio microphones...so there are a few purchases for me audiophile wise before I put my money back into my recording equipment.

Yeah - I'm not an expert about recabling but I know the Cardas option for the HD600 is a common choice is around the same price if a little more expensive..
Don't know enough about the Helix you are mentioning here.

I have an extremely diverse taste in music - if you are getting into more very early 20th Century music - you could give late Sibelius Symphonies a try (if so find the Karajan versions) - or if you want to go further into that period of music - you could look at Stravinksy - early ballets and Neoclassical works ( Petroushka, Rite of Spring, Pulcinella). Further into that period - you can listen to Bartok (his String Quartets are amazing) or Messian ( Quartet for the End of Time or Turangalila Symphony). These are all recommendations in 20th Century music that remains tonal in a way and has keeps some tradition to earlier harmonic concepts in classical music. I could recommend much later 20th C music but then it gets really avant-garde - not sure of you want that or not...

For jazz - I'm going to recommend Shakti - the indo-jazz group formed by John McLaughlin ( I assume you know him from Mahavishnu - one of my all time favorite bands) - so any of the original 3 albums from the 70's like the Natural Elements will do. I really am not so keen on jazz artists recording these days - seems less original to me than they did to me in the 70s,80's. You probably already know Chick Corea, I have alot of his albums) - but I do love his My Spanish Heart album the best with Steve Gadd and Stanly Clarke on it...totally awesome...I would heartily recommend the Griffith Park Collection Vol. 2 - with Corea, Clarke, Joe Henderson and Lenny White. Brilliant!! For Clarke - try School Days an old classic or Toys of Men (recent album)

Finally my all time favorite drummer  - Billy Cobham...Spectrum - CLASSIC and totally awesome - Total Eclipse, Life & Times - these three albums knocked my for six when I was growing up ( all from early 70's)

Above are some of my all time favorite albums....not including Coltrane, Davis, Jarrett ( I have everything he has recorded) etc...

Any recommendations from your library to keep me on my listening quest??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back