Looking for recommendations
Jul 9, 2012 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bludd

New Head-Fier
I am thinking of replacing my aging Sennheiser HD590s. I've very happy with them, but I think I have blown the right speaker.

What I like about the 590s:
  1. comfortable, light weight and good fit for my head
  2. good sound quality
  3. worked fine in my Soundblaster X-Fi (discrete sound card)
  4. worked fine in my Samsung Galaxy S2
  5. Detachable 3 m cable
  6. only 1 cable and 1 input to the headphones
  7. 3.5 mm jack as standard, no adapter needed

What I don't like:

1. Slightly flimsy construction, very plastic-y, but this is probably why it's so comfy

So basically, I love these cans. I know some people don't like them but they have been my only headphones for 8-9 years now. I have replaced the cable several times, but last time it was kinda an ordeal getting a new cable and it was expensive.

Maybe I am naive but I have never felt I needed an amplifier to drive these headphones when using my computer. I have the main volume control in Windows set to 30% and Foobar2000 is set to -5 dB and when I watch movies I the media player set to 60-70%. I'd like some feedback on this point, too.

Any recommendations, bearing all this in mind?

Thank you. :)

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 6
AKG Q701. Lightweight, comfortable, 2 detachable cables, EXTREMELY* comfortable, AMAZING* sound quality, INCREDIBLE* soundstage, can be driven from a portable device, SOLID* plastic construction. All of these reasons combined is why I bought a pair for myself. One of the best choices I have ever made for anything.

* These are NOT over exaggerated, I promise. The Q's are really that good.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
AKG Q701. Lightweight, comfortable, 2 detachable cables, EXTREMELY* comfortable, AMAZING* sound quality, INCREDIBLE* soundstage, can be driven from a portable device, SOLID* plastic construction. All of these reasons combined is why I bought a pair for myself. One of the best choices I have ever made for anything.

* These are NOT over exaggerated, I promise. The Q's are really that good.

the AKG Q701 needs an amp if your not getting an amp don't get them. everything else is correct though and they are really comfortable.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
the AKG Q701 needs an amp if your not getting an amp don't get them. everything else is correct though and they are really comfortable.

Thanks biggbenn74 and Ballin AZN. ATM I am not planning on getting an amp. My sights have fallen on the Sennheiser HD598s as someone recommended. They are priced very nicely (almost half the price of what I paid for the HD590s 8 years ago, discounting inflation).

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, IMO, the AKG's don't need an amp. I run mine off my iPod just fine. However, the volume might not be high enough for everyone's taste. Just stuff to consider. So, don't count the AKG out yet!

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 6
HD598? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back