Looking for recommendations: TOTL headphones for Techno
Dec 5, 2021 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TechnoDiva

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm hugely into Techno music and other EDM genres such as Trance/Drum & Bass but mainly Techno & most subgenres.

I purchased Focal Clears 4 years ago powered by a Questyle CMA600i but they recently snapped & I am outside of my warrenty. Using this opportunity to upgrade from the Clears/AMP to what could be argued the best headphones for these music types. My default is to just upgrade to the Utopia's and play it safe & future proof. I was recommended Fostex TH900, ZMF Verite Open, Meze Elite, Audeze LCD-3. Was also looking at DCA Stealth.

At my set up I spend a lot of time talking to a microphone so believe closed back would be an annoying switch compared to the Clears which may rule out the Fostex's/Stealth. I'm sort of looking for top end open back's so I don't have my voice in my head the whole time. Any advice would be appreciated. Budget is around those TOTL mentioned. Unsure of an AMP.

UK based so not sure if there are any locations that would have access to such a range to prevent a blind buy.

Also apologies if this is in the wrong thread/forum

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 2
Fostex TH900
FYI- That's a closed back
At my set up I spend a lot of time talking to a microphone so believe closed back would be an annoying switch compared to the Clears which may rule out the Fostex's/Stealth. I'm sort of looking for top end open back's so I don't have my voice in my head the whole time. Any advice would be appreciated. Budget is around those TOTL mentioned. Unsure of an AMP.
Does your chain allow you to hear yourself talking amplified, or just whomever you're speaking to?

Closed backs are typically the design used when buying a gaming setup. Besides offering great isolation, it also prevents loop feedback that can occur when sound leaks out of the cups of an open back and back into the mic.

Finally you will get better/stronger bass from a closed back. There are some exceptions to that rule, but generally speaking open backs offer better staging and closed offers bigger bass.

Questyle CMA600i
I can't offer impressions on this amp/DAC with any of the headphones you're looking at other than the Verite open (and closed). It's perhaps one of the worst combos ive ever heard in my life. The CMA 12 was no different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back