Looking for really specific (maybe unrealistic) headphones?
Sep 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

footballplayerc

New Head-Fier
So I've been lurking for a while and I decided to make a thread to get a couple questions I have answered. 

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones with the following specifications:

A) Can be used for studio/casual learning

B) Closed back

C) Have pretty good bass 

D) Huge earpieces

E) Under $120

Some further explanation...

A) I listen to music a ton, so maybe casual listening isn't quite the right wording. But I am in the process of setting up a home studio, so they need to be pretty nice.

B) I want the closed back design so sound doesn't leak in or out. Pretty self explanatory. 

C) I really love bass. I'm not a junkie though. I still like a well balanced sound, with a slight emphasis on bass. Really, I would love powerful bass that really thumps through your body, but isn't muddy. Maybe that is unrealistic, I don't know.

D) I have a giant head. Therefore, I have really big ears. I would LOVE earphones that completely envelope my ears. Like, not sitting on my ear AT ALL. Maybe this is unrealistic too.

E) This is the kicker. They must be under $120 USD. I understand that keeping it under 120 and getting all this is difficult, so I'm willing to sacrifice some things for a cheaper price.

I welcome all suggestions, thanks so much!

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

A) I listen to music a ton, so maybe casual listening isn't quite the right wording. But I am in the process of setting up a home studio, so they need to be pretty nice.

C) I really love bass. I'm not a junkie though. I still like a well balanced sound, with a slight emphasis on bass. Really, I would love powerful bass that really thumps through your body, but isn't muddy. Maybe that is unrealistic, I don't know.

1) You may have to decide between one or the other of these (or at least prioritize).  If your headphones have elevated base, when you mix music it will tend to be base-lite.  The more balanced the better for monitoring and mixing in a studio.  Base heavy phones are fun, but will lead to mixing music that sounds different on other systems than you may hope.

2) Having base that "thumps through your bey" is not possible from a headphone from my experience.  You will need a sub for that as the driver size limitations can't amplify sub-base in a way that will fill a room.

There are several options in your price-range depending if you are looking for a neutral, or base-emphasized phone.  With a little more info, I think you will find something you are very satisfied with

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
1) You may have to decide between one or the other of these (or at least prioritize).  If your headphones have elevated base, when you mix music it will tend to be base-lite.  The more balanced the better for monitoring and mixing in a studio.  Base heavy phones are fun, but will lead to mixing music that sounds different on other systems than you may hope.

2) Having base that "thumps through your bey" is not possible from a headphone from my experience.  You will need a sub for that as the driver size limitations can't amplify sub-base in a way that will fill a room.

There are several options in your price-range depending if you are looking for a neutral, or base-emphasized phone.  With a little more info, I think you will find something you are very satisfied with

If I have to choose, then I'd go with flat sound. That way I can still enjoy the sound and use it well in my studio.

I thought that kind of base would be pretty unrealistic, but I couldn't help hoping. 

I appreciate the info you've given me, as it really helps. But what I'm really concerned about is the physical specifications that I am hoping for. Are there headphones that have that kind of ear cup?

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 8
I've never tried the SRH440s, but I did like the SRH880s. Another headphone to consider is the KRK KNS 8400. These are $114 on Amazon right now, and get a lot of praise on here. I auditioned these for about 20 minutes a few months back, and remember liking them. Although I don't remember much about about their sound and comfort. The Audio Technica ATH M50s are decent cans for around $120, but the ear pads are pretty small and suffocate my average sized ears. Use the search function and read reviews on ones you're interested in. Researching the perfect headphone can be a lot of fun.

If you can stretch your budget at all, the Beyer DT 770 Pros seem like they have everything you want. They have a huge and comfortable ear cup that will most likely fit giant ears. They are extremely comfortable, very durable, have fantastic punchy bass, and have pretty good isolation. I should mention that the mids are slightly recessed.

Unless someone else on here can think of the perfect headphone for you within budget, you will likely have to sacrifice some of your aforementioned criteria. If you can't stretch your budget to afford the 770s, consider getting them used. Have fun with your search.

Also, check out this link: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back