Looking for Portable Cans
Nov 28, 2010 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

GlennM

New Head-Fier

Hi,

I've been lurking around at reviews for different headphones and what everyone has to say about each set. I've just not been able to find a definitive answer to what might best suit me. I know that the response will probably be that I need to try them, and I'd love to if anyone knows of a place I can go listen to tons of headphones in Chicago, IL. 

What I'm looking for: I'd like something moderately flat, if not a V shape accentuating highs and bass. The big bass is a definite "must" for these phones. If it matters I'll be listening to mostly Drum N Bass, Dubstep and Rap. I'd like to keep away from beasts like the Denon D2000s, because these will be going around town with me. I'd been looking at the ATH-M50s until I ran across this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/447081/ath-m50-bass-response . The other headphones I'd been looking at were the Ultrasone PROLine 550's, but I'm not sure where I can get them / test them. I'd guess that my budget is about $300, because I can pass these off as a Christmas present to myself by now.

My setup is REALLY simple, I'll be running them unamped (unless the amp is really small and really cheap, and I can throw it in my pocket.) to an iPod Touch. The sound quality on the ipod from the actual files is going to be marginal at best, but I'll also be throwing it through a decent sound card on my computer every once in a while, so quality and crispness does matter. I'd just like to avoid the point where they go from good portable cans that I use with an iPod to paying for the little bits of resolution that come with high quality CD recordings and large amplifiers.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,

Glenn

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit #1: As far as preference, I'd prefer Over the ear cans, but I don't mind IEMs. Definitely not a fan of on the ear.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back