Looking for open headphones with good bass ~£100
Jul 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

EternalEmpire

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some new headphones and since I've never yet owned an open pair, I'd like to try some. I know the bass on open headphones isn't as good as their closed counterparts but I'd like them to have good bass. I'm looking to spend around £100, preferably less than that though.

Genres I'd use them for:
Metal
Industrial
Hardcore
Electronic
Some Rock

I've looked at the Sennheiser HD 555 and 595, would they be good for what I want? I'd also like some other options to look at too please
normal_smile .gif

Thanks for any help.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 21
For the genres you suggest, Alessandro MS1i, plus VAT and handling fees in UK, they would cost roughly less than 100 quids

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 21
I've got the HD595 running through a kit amp, and whilst the bass definitely improves with amping, some might still call them bass light compared to others. they really shine with orchestral, female vocals and some pop because of their sparkly highs, but I think for your type of music a Grado is a much better bet. I have never actually heard a Grado so can't comment that effectively, but I can say that the 595 may not be your cup of tea.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
I've got the HD595 running through a kit amp, and whilst the bass definitely improves with amping, some might still call them bass light compared to others. they really shine with orchestral, female vocals and some pop because of their sparkly highs, but I think for your type of music a Grado is a much better bet. I have never actually heard a Grado so can't comment that effectively, but I can say that the 595 may not be your cup of tea.

Hmm, that's a shame. I heard Grados have very little bass too. They also retail for double the price that they do in America here in England. The Grado SR60 retails for £90 (roughly $140) over here :/

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 21

Mate that's why I said get the MS1i. I was in your situation be4 and Alessandro products seems to be the most reasonably priced Grados if bought outside US. 
Quote:
After looking around, I can't find either of them brand new, let alone second hand. That's the trouble with living in England, everything is either double the price or impossible to get hold of :/

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 21
yep be quick before VAT rise to 20% 
biggrin.gif
 Plus custom (VAT) and handling charge, the cost would rise to about 95GBP. That'd be around the price of the SR60 but the MS1i use the driver of the SR80 & SR125 so you get something in between of SR80 & SR125 for the price of the SR60

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 21
Okay, I'll look around for the MS1's, see if I can find them anywhere.

Just a quick question, what's the difference between the MS1 and the MS1i? Or are they exactly the same?

Also, where would be a good site to buy them from? I can't seem to find them on Amazon.com and I don't really know any other sites that would import to the UK. I would try eBay but you never know what's fake and what's not on there.

Edit: By the way, what are the pads like on the MS1. I can't tell on the pictures if the foam covers the entire headphone or if there's a hole in the centre of the foam. Can anyone clear this up for me please?

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #14 of 21
MS1i has more bass than MS1 so if you want treble, go for MS1.  The only place you can buy new Alessandro products is their own website:

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php

There are many options of pads but I'd suggest wash the original pads thoroughly and stick with them. In the end they're the second most comfortable Grado pads (the 1st is Jumbo pads, which cost around 40-50GBP). 

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
MS1i has more bass than MS1 so if you want treble, go for MS1.  The only place you can buy new Alessandro products is their own website:

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php

There are many options of pads but I'd suggest wash the original pads thoroughly and stick with them. In the end they're the second most comfortable Grado pads (the 1st is Jumbo pads, which cost around 40-50GBP). 

I checked their site and they only list the MS1's there, not the MS1i's. Though it did say:
[size=x-small]"[size=x-small]Music Series One w/mini - $99.00"[/size][/size]
[size=x-small]"Music Series One w/mini 2009 version - $109.99[/size]"

Is the 2009 version is the MS1i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back