Looking for next set of IEMs
Oct 11, 2010 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

controlmajortom

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, newbie here. I've been using a pair of Shure SE310s for the past few years, but it's really taken a lot of abuse and I'm thinking about getting a new pair of IEMs. I really love the SE310s so my natural inclination is to get the new SE315, but there haven't been any reviews up yet, naturally. What are some other options that are good? For around the $200 range? I really listen to a bit of everything, so a pair of IEMs that are well rounded would be ideal. I don't need something with booming bass or anything.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 12
Fisher Audio DBA-02. (BA dual driver)
Radius DDM (Dual Dynamic driver)
HJE900 Panasonic is about the same price range.
RE0 some  cheaper affordable dynamic under 100USD
UE7 Sennheiser Dynamic Driver
CK90 Audio Technica

These are just  few best selling models on head-fi.
read this thread about top tiers below link.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476315/top-tier-universal-iem-comparison-chart-frequency-response-charts-discussion

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 12
I think the DBA-02's are generally considered to be some of the most well rounded earphones at their price point (I haven't personally heard them). They are very difficult to find however.

The DDM's are a great recommendation for the price, but are a warmer sound, and you have to consider isolation and possible issues with fit. They sound incredible though.

Definately check out that thread yello linked you to, it will be a tremendous resource for ya.

And welcome to head fi!

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks to both! And that thread really helped. I don't mind a warmer sound signature, it's probably good for most of my library. After doing a bit more research, I kind of liked the HJE900s, the detachable cables and welcoming price are both very appealing. But there are two things that bother me, the isolation and the sibilance. I'm used to Shure's excellent isolation and I use my headphones on a daily basis in crowded places so I put a premium on isolation. Also, I cannot stand heavy sibilance. Do the HJE900s really have harsh treble? And are there other IEMs that offer a better balance of isolation and sound quality? (The two most important aspects of the IEM to me)

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 12
If isolation is so important ,and If you can extend your budget to $300 you can get a top tier like Ortofon e-Q7, Final Audio A1, ATH-CK10.
Under $200US and I am not sure you can get two of the both worlds. You either go for best sound like DDM or DBA-02 or you choose Comfort and isolation.
HJE900 are not good sounding in my opinion but they are cheap if you get them in US.
Also look Hippo VB or IE7 or Re0 (under 100US price range)

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I see...

I'm really leaning towards etymotics for isolation. I just bought a new IPod Touch since my old on broke, so my new budget for a headphone is around $100...

How is the Westone UM1?

I have a set of UM3X using Shure Olives, and the isolation/comfort factor is excellent, MUCH better than my previous triple.fis. Since the UM1 and UM3X uses similer housing, i would feel that the comfort/isolation factor would be excellent.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
I have a set of UM3X using Shure Olives, and the isolation/comfort factor is excellent, MUCH better than my previous triple.fis. Since the UM1 and UM3X uses similer housing, i would feel that the comfort/isolation factor would be excellent.

Thanks. I really enjoy the Shure fit, and the Westone's look real similar so I don't think I'll have any issues with comfort and isolation. The sound quality is what worries me, and whether or not it's worth 30$ more than the MC5.

As for the Custom 3's, I did consider those too, but the significant cable issues scared me off pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back