Looking for new pair of headphones that would suit my need.
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

trix3072

Head-Fier
I was using the ATH-M50X but wasn’t satisfied with the sound and gaming performances so decided to make an upgrade. My total budget is about 1700$, both for gaming and music listening. About music, I usually listen to hip-hop, r&b, EDM, pop, and rock. It needs to have great imaging and directional positioning as well as good comfort(lightweight, good distortion..). I would like to have some suggestions.. Thanks in advance!

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 20
Fostex Th900, HD800s, or one of ZMF series might work for you.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 20
If I were listening to the genres you listed, I may not be as concerned with soundstage.

Do you have a dedicated headphone amplifier?

Because the majority of the genres you've listed have a strong bass component and you desire good distortion, I would suggest planar magnetics. However, I do not pay much attention to THD specs. Time domain factors such as damping and resonance I think are more audible, and these can begin to be seen/analyzed through cumulative spectral decay graphs, although these may not tell the whole story either.

Because you are seeking light weight, maybe look at some of Hifiman's offerings, and maybe Audeze's offerings other than the LCD lineup.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 20
If I were listening to the genres you listed, I may not be as concerned with soundstage.

Because the majority of the genres you've listed have a strong bass component and you desire good distortion, I would suggest planar magnetics. However, I do not pay much attention to THD specs. Time domain factors such as damping and resonance I think are more audible, and these can begin to be seen/analyzed through cumulative spectral decay graphs, although these may not tell the whole story either.

Because you are seeking light weight, maybe look at some of Hifiman's offerings, and maybe Audeze's offerings other than the LCD lineup.
Heard good things about hifiman Arya.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 20
I'd look in to the ATH-R70X as long as an open back won't be an issue. Definitely needs a dedicated amp with some power, as they're fairly high impedance (Something like the Topping A50s using the balanced output), but they are incredible value for money. I've seen multiple people say they had to go to $1000+ headphones to equal the R70X, and having now experienced some more expensive things (Denon AH-D7200, Focal Elegia) I tend to agree. You may need to EQ a little on the low end to get the sound you're looking for as they're very flat (accurate) out of the box but they respond to EQ well. The most important thing is that they are /super/ light and Audio Technica's "dual wing" or whatever they call it headband simply can't be touched for comfort. The only other headphones I have that are near as comfortable are the Hyland Audio Jupiter One.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 20
I was using the ATH-M50X but wasn’t satisfied with the sound and gaming performances so decided to make an upgrade. My total budget is about 1700$, both for gaming and music listening. About music, I usually listen to hip-hop, r&b, EDM, pop, and rock. It needs to have great imaging and directional positioning as well as good comfort(lightweight, good distortion..). I would like to have some suggestions.. Thanks in advance!
Can we assume that you currently plug your headphones directly into the motherboard's onboard audio?
Takstar HF 580 headphones (with Sandyaudio AVIA ear pads) would offer great improvement, for $250.
Topping DX7s DAC/amp.
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx7s

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 20

I don’t have an AMP yet, but I’m willing to buy one. Then shall the Arya be the best choice for me?

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 20
Can we assume that you currently plug your headphones directly into the motherboard's onboard audio?
Takstar HF 580 headphones (with Sandyaudio AVIA ear pads) would offer great improvement, for $250.
Topping DX7s DAC/amp.
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx7s
Actually I was planning the get something like SBX G6 for DAC. Is that better than the DX7?

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 20
I don’t have an AMP yet, but I’m willing to buy one. Then shall the Arya be the best choice for me?

Could be! If you can, give it a try in a low-risk way like with a return policy. Don't expect too much out of any headphone. There's a lot of hype in our hobby. Find something that feels comfortable. Like home.

I would try to focus on non-sound related things first. Does it look good? Is it comfortable to wear? Is it in my budget?

Then see if you can live with the sound.

It's nearly impossible for a headphone to sound "perfect", and the pursuit has, in my experience, only ended in unhappiness and frustration. A lot of perfectionists are attracted to this hobby. It is a deathtrap. Avoid perfectionist tendencies at all costs in this world.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 20
Could be! If you can, give it a try in a low-risk way like with a return policy. Don't expect too much out of any headphone. There's a lot of hype in our hobby. Find something that feels comfortable. Like home.

I would try to focus on non-sound related things first. Does it look good? Is it comfortable to wear? Is it in my budget?

It's nearly impossible for a headphone to sound "perfect", and the pursuit has, in my experience, only ended in unhappiness and frustration. A lot of perfectionists are attracted to this hobby. It is a deathtrap. Avoid perfectionist tendencies at all costs in this world.
I agree... this hobby can get expensive, never ending, and never satisfying. It can be amazing for a while though. In my experience you keep want something better or TOTL. Also, one thing I realized was more expensive doesn’t mean always better. I think whats important is knowing your preferred sound signature such as v-shaped or neutral. For example, I like Fostex TH900 over Focal Utopia because it is more fun sounding to me and I only listen to EDM dance. I think what helps is after you try several headphones you start to understand what other people describe and can have better idea whether one headphone suits for you or not. Although best thing is going to an audio shop and actually trying...

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 20

It is definitely good advice to get something with possible return policy unless you are pretty sure what you really want.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 20
Actually I was planning the get something like SBX G6 for DAC. Is that better than the DX7?
Sound BlasterX G6, that's fine.

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 20

Thanks for the advice.

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #15 of 20
I'd look in to the ATH-R70X as long as an open back won't be an issue. Definitely needs a dedicated amp with some power, as they're fairly high impedance (Something like the Topping A50s using the balanced output), but they are incredible value for money. I've seen multiple people say they had to go to $1000+ headphones to equal the R70X, and having now experienced some more expensive things (Denon AH-D7200, Focal Elegia) I tend to agree. You may need to EQ a little on the low end to get the sound you're looking for as they're very flat (accurate) out of the box but they respond to EQ well. The most important thing is that they are /super/ light and Audio Technica's "dual wing" or whatever they call it headband simply can't be touched for comfort. The only other headphones I have that are near as comfortable are the Hyland Audio Jupiter One.
Is HIFIMAN Arya or Elear, Elegia better than the R70X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back