Looking for New IEM's or possibly Headphones.....
May 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

iemmustiane

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, im looking for a new pair of IEM's, Im currently own Kramer modded JVC marshmallows, UE Super.fi 3, and Meelectronics m9's. I'm currently using the m9's. I also own a fiio e5 amp. I don't plan on upgrading amps. I listen to a great variety of music, from 80's heavy metal to classical.

These are some of the IEM's ive been considering:

Head Direct RE0's ($79): I heard that they have very good SQ and are very analytical , but lack bass and are below average on durability.

Fischer Audio Eterna: I also hear that these are very good, and have a very good soundstage... but I have no clue on where I can get these.

Phonak Audéo PFE's ($139): I hear that these are very analytical, and are very good.

Klipsch Custom 3 ($125): I hear that these are very good all-arounders.

Etymotic ER4S/P: ($170): I have heard that these are extremely detailed, and that the isolation is insane, can someone tell me the difference between the p and s versions? And is it true that the cable is removable?

As you can see my price ranges is pretty wide, but I will only spend more if a certain IEM is heaps better than another IEM....
I prefer playing my IEM's unamped, but I will amp with my E5 if I have too, but I will not upgrade amps.

Can you guys suggest any other IEM's or possibly headphones?

May 29, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 19
Perhaps you should consider looking at the Etymotic HF5 too. Both hf5 and er4s/p should sound quite similar. And hf5 is much cheaper. Looking into Fischer Audio DBA-02 and Radius DDM. Both are around $160, reviews on them have been good so far.

May 29, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 19
why does the er4s/p cost $50 more? .... the radius look like they would be hard for me to get a good fit....

I have no idea on where to purchase fischer iems....

I have an e5 amp, would any of these sound good unamped?

May 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
why does the er4s/p cost $50 more? .... the radius look like they would be hard for me to get a good fit....

I have no idea on where to purchase fischer iems....

I have an e5 amp, would any of these sound good unamped?

I am using my hf5 and JVC FX-700 unamped right now. Pico slim I ordered won't come till July or August. Don't judge the Radius based on the photo. Go to the thread itself and see for yourself. Most have said that there's not a problem with fit. Here is the link to the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486541/radius-hp-twf11r-review-and-impressions-thread

As for your question, supposedly the HF5 and er4p/s have the same driver. If not the same they should be similar, based on the freq response. And I have read people saying that they can't differentiate between the two. One thing though, Etymotic does not have boomy bass. Its bass is pretty lean (I'd dare say less amount than your JVC). Ety is all about detail and being analytical. I love them being that way though. So it's not for everyone, but those who love it swear by it.

As for fischer iems, search budgen audio. He goes by the name of ethan961, if I am not mistaken. Check out the dba-02 thread, and you should see him hanging around.

May 30, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 19
Yeah, I highly recommend the Radius (HP-TWF11R)
This sound like a 300 buk IEMs. No problem for most people here on the forum with the Ergonomics. Works best with comply foam tips for my ears. I personally prefer comply foa over the silicon tips supplied with the DDMs.
Where are you, if in the USA, you can get them from ALO Audio, and if you do not like you can always exchange. Dealers cost a tad more but you get the best service with them.
Good luck with your search.!

May 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 19
Which one of these headphones would have the highest "wow" factor when its amped through a fiio e5
Head Direct RE0
Etymotic ER4p/s  whats the difference between the two? Is it true they have replaceable cables.
Fischer DBA-02

Or should i wait for the Head Direct RE-Zero's

May 31, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 19
i had the PFE for around a year. it was a great sounding headphone, but somewhat limited in the bass. for the op, i think it is well suited to most genres, but it may not have enough bass for rocking out. good fit for me though with the foams.

so i have a related question: for those that have heard both, does the ety ER4p/s have more bass than the phonak? from what i've read so far, the ety seems to be exactly what i want, but i want a reasonably strong bass presence. i like my HD650s now, so an iem that sounded like the PFE but with more bass would be great.

the ABI review of the senn IE8 said it sounded more or less like that, but i'm concerned about the isolation of the IE8, and also the fakes that are around. they would also cost a fair bit more than the etys, but if they are exactly what, then it is doable.

May 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:

I recommend the custom 3 ,it was a top tier £200 IEM when it came out and it sounds like one ,fantastic bass capable of thunderous bass and spine tingling eclectic guitars ,great midrange ,and very detailed treble ,a real steal at the price they sell for in America now ,
L3000.gif

May 31, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:

I recommend the custom 3 ,it was a top tier £200 IEM when it came out and it sounds like one ,fantastic bass capable of thunderous bass and spine tingling eclectic guitars ,great midrange ,and very detailed treble ,a real steal at the price they sell for in America now ,
L3000.gif

argh!!!!!

talk about waving a red flag.  noooooo the custom 3 was never top tier, not on its best day with the wind behind it but........

it is a lovely sounding IEM, probably the best of what you have suggested but it does have that cable. great mids and bass.

May 31, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
argh!!!!!

talk about waving a red flag.  noooooo the custom 3 was never top tier, not on its best day with the wind behind it but........

He he @ mark ,we will have to agree to disagree on that point ,sound wise it can hold its own against anything i have with the exception of the SM3 which is in another class altogether.

Micro phonic cable and the fact they are not the most comfortable over a long listening period is the custom 3 only real fault that i can find with them.
regular_smile .gif

Being from Scotland do you like the 70s band NAZARETH , mark ? they are one of my favorate groups at the moment .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back