Looking for new headphones
Nov 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vk93

Head-Fier
I dont have an amp yet, and probably wont consider one for a while, unless there is a really good deal on a good amp. Does anyone know of headphones that are portable, can run well unamped, provide great bass/mids/highs. I listen to hip hop and rock, so just want to know some of your guys suggestions. I am interested in over the ear headphones by the way, so thanks.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 13
basically up to 300. I would prefer that range, but if there is a heaphone that you want to seriously consider to me and can be found lower than 350 go ahead. Also, if there is a good deal for a good amp, than Id consider it too, such as maybe the E5 or E7.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 13
The Shure SRH750 DJ's can play hiphop and rock nicely...work well unamped. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Here are recommendations for ya:

Shure SRH440

Sony MDR-V6, MDR-V600, MDR-7506

Ultrasone HFi 580, HFi 780

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

All of the these 'phones are have a foldable design and are driven well without an amplifier.  For your preferences I would suggest taking a close look at the M50 and the HFi 780.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 13
Hmm I have been reading a lot of these forums, and the M50 seems to a very popular choice. I would love to consider them since they look great and Ive been hearing they have a good sound signature. How good does the M50 play with the more relaxing songs? Also how comfortable are they? Do they improve much more with an amp such as maybe the E5/E7? Feel free to suggest more headphones to me.
Thanks guys.
P.S. Ive been hearing bad things about the HFI 780s, so I most likely wont consider them. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
How good does the M50 play with the more relaxing songs? Also how comfortable are they? Do they improve much more with an amp such as maybe the E5/E7? Feel free to suggest more headphones to me.

They do a good job performing most music genres, and don't need to be amped to sound good + they are comfy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back