Looking for new cans (K701? DT880? HD600?...)
Oct 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it' a Toronto thing on our opinion? I still think that the DT880s are great cans and still bring a lot to the table!

and it IS the most comfortable headphone I've tried too

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 is one of the biggest challenges to amp for dynamics (along with K701, AKG K1k) etc. I actually find that people here are consistently underpowering them: a lot of the people who say they are "too bright" are underamping them and I agree with them. They are bright and thin when they are underpowered. 600 ohm variant is typically paired with OTL tube amp which makes it easier to drive meaning that they are driving it better (which would explain the difference moreso than the difference in ohmage).

The other reason for the 880 being "too bright" is a lot of people are coming from sennheiser; a brand that is typically too dull.

Many of the "too thin" comments are from people coming from the HD650: a headphone that adds body to music through bloaty bass and slow decay-oriented mids.

IMO the 880 are the best of the three phones you list, but its just important to understand why some people do not like them: it's typically a reaction vs what they are used to rather than what they like (because people can and will adapt to just about anything. Remember when we were all on crap headphones and loving them?).

Depending on where you are coming from, they might not be for you.
You might want to pair them with coloured amps and dacs to bring out the extra "body" that they miss (which IMO isnt missing at all if they are amped correctly).
food 4 thought

I agree, and the same is true for the infamous "sibilance." That doesn't really exist with good amping. Through a portable, maybe, but even through my SS c-2c I'm not hearing any sibilance. And the 600ohm are supposedly even better in that regard.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and it IS the most comfortable headphone I've tried too

I thought so too until I got my Denon D7000s. Absolute comfort, but the DT880s are second best (tied with the K701s in my book).

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K601 is little brother to k701 and it means that separation and mids are their middle name!
darthsmile.gif

Havent heard the dt 880 ......

So K601 is fast? That's good to hear I've always wanted some (fairly) fast cans
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #35 of 45
Well I've done some more thinking and decided not to go for DT880/K701/HD600 (unless I find a (really) good offer for them).
I'll keep the budget under 200€ this time.
K601 is still in the race, i really liked what I read about it, but from what people say they might not be good for my music.

Mainly because of the bass I guess, I'm not too hot on bassy headphones (I've seen in other threads a lot of recommendations for cans like ah-d2000 but from what I read they're not what I look for). If the bass is quick, tight and punchy (that's a lot to ask, I agree) then that's all I could ask for, I don't want my mids recessed because of overpowering bass.

Then again K601 seems to be a pain in the arse to amp and that's why I looked for alternatives and found the ATH-AD900. Didn't really bother with grados because I want more of a comfortable all-rounder and I do like some soundstage.
AD900s are more expensive than K601 (154€ against $275=186€) and I'd have to import them (risk of taxes) but the main question is would it really be a better choice than K601?

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #36 of 45
My personal opinion is that amplification requirements for the K601 can be over rated, but having said that the Zero DAC/amp as a combination is fairly low budget. It might fail to bring the extension and cleanness to the sound that will really make you figure out what the K601 is about, whereas some other headphones will tip things up in the right place with such equipment.

Otherwise the K601 pretty much match what you think you'd like in your next headphone. They're airy, open, but lack the most articulate detail. You can throw whatever music you like at the K601 and the bass won't stand a chance at over powering the mid range.

What I will say for your music though is that the K601 is fairly neutral in presentation. Some people just don't like that kind of presentation for rock and electronica. As for me I don't mind it, but I will warn you that music like Coldplay is fairly compressed, so bass on some songs will be almost weak rather than punchy. As for Keane, I quite like it on the K601, especially with the first album that has an airy feel to the music. The Prodigy and Pendulum (and some other electronica) tend to have a little extra measure of bass which can work well with the K601 if you like your bass punchy, and it copes quite well with some of the complex mid range passages electronica can throw at it.
Lord Of The Rings soundtrack? You'll love it on the K601.

[edit]And I just had one of those "for anyone who says the K601 can't produce bass" moments. The bass guitar from the Prodigy's Climbatize is epic.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #37 of 45
I listened to the DT880, K701, and AD900 from the same source and I have to say the AD900 was my favorite. This led me to purchase the AD2000 which defined bass to another level for me. Not boomy bass but tight, accurate, extremely fast bass. The best part is that they sound amazing unamped as well. Sorry that I can't really remember how close the ad900 was to the ad2000, its been a long time.

HOWEVER, my friend absolutely despises the ATH-AD series. Yes, some people actually dislike that magical A-T midrange! I think the K701 or DT880 might be safer choices. The ad900 you will love or hate, and at $250 its not a cheap gamble. I never got to listen to the K601 so I can't really say anything about that.

Okay, enough of my ATH fanboyism. I noticed you said you're using a Zero DAC/amp. I use that for my DAC too and I feel like it wasn't properly able to drive the DT880 (They sounded MUCH better on my friends amp/dac). Even my portable amp drives them better. Although you stated that you were going to upgrade your setup in the future, I don't think it will be very fun to not be able to drive the DT880 fully right away. K701 hands down if you're the type that enjoys to analyze music. The detail on the K701 are pretty spectacular for mid-range cans.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, and the same is true for the infamous "sibilance." That doesn't really exist with good amping. Through a portable, maybe, but even through my SS c-2c I'm not hearing any sibilance. And the 600ohm are supposedly even better in that regard.

And I can argue that the lack of sibilance is the result of bad amping as well, as in, the amp isn't strong enough in the details to create that sibilance that is inherit in the recording.

See this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sib...-blame-431180/

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a problem with the 880 highs. The 600 are very balanced, but to much dark and roll off for me. The K702 have better resolution and the image presentation it's a level up.

Depends what DT880's you're talking about tbh.

DT880 '03 and '05 250 ohm = got strong highs but the DT880/600 ohm addresses this and many other flaws in the other DT880's.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a problem with the 880 highs. The 600 are very balanced, but to much dark and roll off for me. The K702 have better resolution and the image presentation it's a level up.

I have heard and compared dt880 to my hd600 out of a darkvoice amp. Despite dt880 has a better sense of detail, hd600 still sounds more natural and smooth compared to the beyers.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard and compared dt880 to my hd600 out of a darkvoice amp. Despite dt880 has a better sense of detail, hd600 still sounds more natural and smooth compared to the beyers.

Yes sir/mam, I agree with this. But put them on a ZD and both sound closer. The 600s (IMO) are one of the most versatile cans in the arsenal. But I like the 701 best with my yada better.

I agree with Cankin the 880s are more bright than the 701s.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #44 of 45
The combination of the HD600 and hd650 with an X-Can V8 surprised me. They became more listenable for me from the X-Can in that the bass was no longer overbearing on the 650 and the 600's became positively clean sounding.

No matter what headphones I change to, I always seem to end up coming back to these two and the V8 has made me return once again and stay with the combo. It works well for me. It also showed me that a different amp makes a subtle change to the sound of these headphones that become a major factor in the overall sound once you start to listen critically.

It is very easy to make a decision about a headphone and stick with it without venturing much further than your own set up that you've learned to like! Once you start to move away, small changes suddenly can become major improvements and that's what happened to me with the Sennheiser headphones.

Ian

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #45 of 45
Yes, the 600 sounds more natural compare to the 880.
I'm not sure if the 880 are more bright then the 702, the 880 just have some boost on the highs maybe this what give the fell of them been more bright.

Between those 3 hps I fund my balance with the 702, they have deeper bass compare to the 600, and not boost as the 880. The 701/2 have better mids then both, and they extend more in any direction of the sound spectrum with better resolution, mean the sound in general will be very clear and smooth transition between the notes and the frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back