Looking for new cans (K701? DT880? HD600?...)
Oct 4, 2009 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Jazz9

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a new pair of phones so here I am asking for help
tongue.gif

I'd like something that would be airy, open with extended highs that aren't too shrill and clear, detailled mids. But I wouldn't want them to be so analytical that they don't sound musical. I'm not a basshead so no bloated, overbearing bass.
I did a little search and I'm hesitating between four cans:
K701, DT880, HD600, K601 with the first two being the favorites because of their said clarity. I'm not too sure about the Hd600, I don't really enjoy warm/dark signature.

I mainly listen to indie/poprock (TV on the radio, keane, coldplay, arcade fire, kings of leon, belle & sebastian...) and some electronica (prodigy, pendulum) and movie soundtracks (things like LOTR).

I have a Zero DAC/Amp (opa627/lt1364) but I'm pretty sure I'll buy something else in the future. I wouldn't want to limit my choices because of that.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 45
Since you are in paris you are valid for the German Maestro EU Loan program.

I have the 435S on loan but you can also order any of the other headphones from Thomas at german maestro directly.

It sounds like it´s the 435S or the 450 Pro you should give a try. They are surely a tier above my K701 and HD 650 I would say. 435S may be safer since you then get the option to swap ear pads. Stock earpads have a thick filter which make them smoother and a bit warmer whereas earpads without the filter and which moves the driver further away makes them more detailed but also more prone to showing sibilance and such
smily_headphones1.gif

They are kind of moving between the two extremes 650/K701 in balance you could say. Never get as dark och veiled as the HD 650 and up to K701 treble. Which feels a bit over extended at times for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701, DT880, HD600, K601 with the first two being the favorites because of their said clarity. I'm not too sure about the Hd600, I don't really enjoy warm/dark signature.

While I'm a huge fan of K701, I think that for your kind of music I'd pick DT880 and give them a listen. In case you wouldn't like them, I highly recommend demoing a pair of K701/702.

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 45
Well I have a pair of K701 for sale. Could send them together with the 435S if you would like to loan that one. But personally I do preferr the 435S surely.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K601s aren't detailed enough compared to others on the list and DT880 is too bright IMO. I'd say both HD600 and K701.

A 600Ohm DT880 isn't bright in the least. It sounds very much like a Sennheiser to me, but with out the veil. They are far more detailed then the HD600 iMO.

The OP should give them a try.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 45
Thanks for all the answers guys, appreciate it!
Looks like I'll (again) have to do some more research on the K701 and DT880 (I'm also looking at the thread about the GMPs oqvist mentionned because I never heard about those).
From what I gathered both could be what i look for (airy, open, clear and detailled).
What i fear about the Dt880 is the sibilance people seem to mention almost in every thread, the 600ohm version is said to remedy the problem but at a premium when it comes to price.
And then there's the k701... I've read a ton of threads and I still can't "picture" how they could sound...
Some say they're the best thing, some call it a "better" DT880 and some find them just weird sounding.
I'll erase both the k601 and HD600 from my list for now (I know the HD600 is really well liked and pretty much a standard around here but I don't think the dark/ultra smooth/laid back signature is for me, I could be wrong though
icon10.gif
)
2 down 1 to go...

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

And then there's the k701... I've read a ton of threads and I still can't "picture" how they could sound...

It's impossible to describe sound accurately using words. Moreover, descriptions are very subjective.

To me K701 are crystal-clear - they sound as if each sound was perfectly well defined - when a finger strikes a string - there is attack, sustain and delay - picking up each stage is easy. If the string oscillates - sound is spreading in their pseudo-stage. Voices (esp. male) are very life-like - full, have natural mass and sound as if they have texture - as the cans are very detailed, you can hear every nuance of a singing voice. Amount of details is really huge: every squeak of fingers against strings, background noises (e.g. rustle of sheet music for an orchestra), etc. Therefore, it is important not to pair them with too revealing source, unless you like analytical presentation. Low registers are not dominating, and if you pair K701 with low-power amplifier, sound may sound too airy, light, weightless. When amped properly - bass is great, massive, detailed, very pleasant. In general - they are a bit cold (just a little), or rather - very neutral, so first impressions may not be favorable for them.

To sum it up - the sound of K701 is some way resembles me the way how my favorite loudspeakers (Harbeth SHL5) sound - very clear, natural, detailed, with great separation of sounds and very, very absorbing
k701smile.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #11 of 45
I'd be going for the HD600s. They're detailed smooth and musical.

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 45
Jazz9,

Paris is a big city,so i guess there is the chance to demo some headphones,so go out to some stores and test them...That way,you'll get an idea of the sound signature of each headphone.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 45
Paris indeed is a big city but I haven't had the time to really demo some headphones since I started this thread so right now I'm gathering all the info I can while waiting for a day where I can take a full afternoon to really sit down and listen in a store.
I did listen to a HD600 by chance for around 5mins and found them to be good (maybe a little too dark) but I can't really tell anything from such a short time.

Right now my two favorites are the K601 and DT880/250 (600 version is too pricey).
I've read a lot about K701 and didn't really like what I saw (dull, clinical... some do love them though).
If anyone could offer some (more, I've already read all there is to read between the two on head-fi
biggrin.gif
) input on the k601 and Dt880 for my music tastes I'd appreciate it. There's a 57€ price difference between the two (in favor of k601), that's something to take into account too.

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 45
HD650...new edition. Super clear...and no veil IMO.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

airy, open, clear and detailled

you've described the K501/601/701 perfectly there, and also since you don't want too much bass. Since you also said that you don't want shrill treble, i would avoid the 701, because it can be a bit strident. i would recomend the K601 or save some money and get a used K501. if you do some reading here, you'll learn that a lot of people prefer AKG's older phones to their newer ones. but it's all preference of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back