looking for new bookshelf speakers
Sep 18, 2007 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm seriously considering upgrading the mains on my stereo, but with a limited budget. Budget will be $300 (I know) but that's what I have to work with and I see no reason why I can't get a worthwhile upgrade for that price.

What I currently have in my speaker setup:

Transport: Marantz CD5001
Source: Zhaolu 1.3 (modded) or Artison Audio RD11 model E TT
Amp: Marantz 1030 integrated (15wpc RMS)
Infinity RS2

I do have a pair (actually 2 pair) of Atlantis SBF 24" speaker stands that I have filled with sand, so I do not have to factor stands into the price.

I'm very seriously considering the PSB Alpha B1's. I've heard good things about them and they received a lot of praise a few months ago in Stereophile. Plus, my local PSB dealer is willing to give me a good deal, and let me take home the Demo units to decide if I like them, if I do I'll get a brand new pair, if I don't then I'll get a full refund with no restocking fee.

But are there any other speakers I should seriously consider?

See Post #17 for an update

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 45
Hey Jacob!

You have two choice literally: buy new or used. Personnally, with that budget, i'd buy something used. Wait for a deal to come out in your area.

For 300$US you can get some nice used Paradigm speaker, I've seen also some Magnepan going at that price. You can always check for Dynaco A25 speakers, which are about 100$US in excellent condition and best sound for the buck in the sub 300$US category. Check also for used Klipsch, Heresy can sometime pop at about 300$US.

If you buy new, I also think B&W or Paradigm is the way, but used speakers are the way to go if I were on a budget like you.

Laurent

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 45
thanks for the tips guys. I've been watching craigslist for a few months and haven't seen anything that caught my eye, although I haven't been scouring agon lately.

I would really love to find some place where I could hear both the Paradigm Atom and PSB Alpha B1. They're both about the same price and both received great reviews in Stereophile. The interesting thing is that if you read both articles the one guy (I can't remember names) liked the PSB's and the other liked the Paradigm's.

Personally, I would rather buy new, but I'm not opposed to buying used either. Whatever I get I would like it to be easily affordible and attainable because eventually (within the next couple years) I'll probably migrate them over to my home theater and get some towers, when that happens I'll probably buy another pair of whatever I get with a matching center and a sub to go with them. So, I guess that's why I was so intrigued by either the PSB's or the Paradigm's.

I'm still leaning towards the PSB's because the dealer is willing to give me a good deal as I've purchased from them before and they have great service.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 45
I picked up a pair of Paradigm v.4 Titans in the FS forum here for under $200. I like them so much I'm looking for a used 5.1 or 7.1 set for my home theater setup. Superb speakers.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 45
At least if you buy Dynaco A25 for music, and keep them in good shape, you can sell them in 2 years for the same price you bought them. This is a collector item. Then you can move on on a better system.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 45
I was once looking for a $300 bookshelf; under the evil of headfi I ended up spending twice as much, and have since upgraded to something many multiples of my initial $300 budget
very_evil_smiley.gif

you are warned
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was once looking for a $300 bookshelf; under the evil of headfi I ended up spending twice as much, and have since upgraded to something many multiples of my initial $300 budget
very_evil_smiley.gif

you are warned
very_evil_smiley.gif

rofl. well at least for this purchase I'm going to stick within the budget
biggrin.gif
(it might be a first...)

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

you are warned
very_evil_smiley.gif

What did you get? And for anyone else, look for used GMA Europas- they are excellent!

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 45
Paradigm Atom or Titan, NHT SB2 or 3, Dynaco A25XL (if you're in to vintage), Triangle Titus, there's a ton of them out there. Buy used and you can usually get most of your $$ back out of them when you wanna try something else.

I've got 3 pr of bookshelfs right now. They're cheap, fun, and easy to store.

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay.money /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paradigm Atom or Titan, NHT SB2 or 3, Dynaco A25XL (if you're in to vintage), Triangle Titus, there's a ton of them out there. Buy used and you can usually get most of your $$ back out of them when you wanna try something else.

I've got 3 pr of bookshelfs right now. They're cheap, fun, and easy to store.

Oh yeah, try Axiom, too. They seem to get good reviews and are inexpensive. Online only.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 45
THe Chorus are nice speakers. They are smaller than the 706s I have but drums sound nice. They are a fast speaker with a sound leaning towards bright but still smooth. You probably wont get a lot of bass from these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back