looking for new bookshelf speakers
Sep 26, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #16 of 45
Hi there,

Your user CP stated that you listen to all sorts of music. It might help if you could pinpoint out some genre that you generally listen to more frequently.

Generally, each brand usually have a particular sonic character for their speakers. Some are more mellow sounding, while others may be a bit more bright. So, let us know your listening preference. That might help with the suggestions.

Personally, I like speakers with a crisp sounding tweeter and a more relaxed overall sound. Thus, over the years I noted that I usually prefer the sounds of certain brands over others.

Good luck with the search!

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #17 of 45
Well I saw this old thread and I thought I'd update it a bit. After talking with my wife we decided that it would be better if we integrated my 2 channel setup with our home theater in the living room so we could both enjoy great music.

With this in mind I knew I would need to get at least new mains and hopefully a matching center and probably a new receiver.

fast forward a bit I was looking at a budget of $1k for the front 3 speakers and then $600 on a receiver. I went around and listened to some PSB's Paradigm's, and some B&W's to name a few, but ended up decided to get a pair of Onix Reference 1's and a Reference 100 center after reading great reviews and factoring in account the great sale av123 was having and the 30 day risk free trial.

Then av123 had a black Friday sale and I managed to pick up the following speakers:
Reference 1 monitors
Reference 100 center
Reference .5 for rears
Rocket ULW 10 w/ new 500w digital amp as a sub.
Then I was just shy to get free shipping so I ordered a pair of X-ls speakers in a finish to match ($2 cheaper than paying shipping
biggrin.gif
)
Then on the next sale I picked up another ULW 10 w/ new amp for $150.

I received the speakers (minus subs, they're awaiting the new amps and will be here next month) a few weeks ago and have been glad I purchased them. The Ref 1's are easily as good as my friend's ACI Sapphires.

For a receiver I picked up a nice used Marantz SR7001. The only problem is that it doesn't have a Phono input, so I had to find a phono pre to use.

I ended up ordering one of Peter Mcalister's new phono pres and am anxiously awaiting for it to be finished.

All in all everything cost just a little over $2k since I got b-stock (av123's b-stock is amazing and could easily pass for a-stock from other speaker companies) and a used receiver. If I were to buy at regular prices this setup would have cost me over $6k.

I am very pleased with this setup thus far. My only complaint is that the output on my zhaolu is a bit too hot for my new receiver and my new mpx3 SLAM. I can't turn the volume up very high, so I think I'm going to sell both my zhaolu and Marantz and get a better CDP.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #18 of 45
I have a pair of KEF Q15.2 and they sound really great for the price. I think you can get them for under 300. They're pretty bright but super detailed - really fun sounding.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of KEF Q15.2 and they sound really great for the price. I think you can get them for under 300. They're pretty bright but super detailed - really fun sounding.

I listened to a pair of Kef's and was impressed with the sound. I wouldn't call them bright, but they were detailed with great highs. The mids were good, but not great and for the size they had a surprising amount of bass, but they were a bit bass shy as they were pretty small. I would say they are similar in sound quality to the Reference .5's I picked up.

If you read any reviews about the Reference 1's some people will say they are bright, but I think they are just incredibly detailed and people aren't used to that amount of detail. For a bookshelf/monitor they don't lack bass, but there is no bass bloat and no hump before it drops off. The bass is tight and accurate. I've listened to my pair with the aid of a 10" ULW (old version w/ the 350w amp) and they sounded very, very nice. They still sound fantastic on their own, but the sub adds a bit to them.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #20 of 45
Axioms as well here!!!!

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #21 of 45
i took am looking for a bookshelf in this price range. i'm trying to get an understanding of when av123's X-LS SWG will be available...that one seems like it could be a winner. MLS hasn't responded though, so i'm not sure if that will happen.

i looked at those HTD level three bookshelfs...they look interesting. does anybody have any detailed experience with them? i'm looking for a good "all around" speaker that has a lot of detail and can really throw down when i want to turn on the rock or other raucous tunes.

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i took am looking for a bookshelf in this price range. i'm trying to get an understanding of when av123's X-LS SWG will be available...that one seems like it could be a winner. MLS hasn't responded though, so i'm not sure if that will happen.

i looked at those HTD level three bookshelfs...they look interesting. does anybody have any detailed experience with them? i'm looking for a good "all around" speaker that has a lot of detail and can really throw down when i want to turn on the rock or other raucous tunes.

the new x-ls' will definitely be able to do that with the new tweeter and crossover. From what I understand they are waiting on the tweeters. You can always buy a pair of x-ls now and then get the upgrade kit which will be about $80. You won't really be loosing out on any $ and you'll have speakers earlier. However, one of the new x-ls models will have a slightly larger cabinet and I can't remember which one so it wouldn't be possible to do what I mentioned above.

Give Mark a little bit as they have been swamped lately. I'm still waiting for Louis to get back to me about a deal I picked up from a sale 3 weeks ago.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the new x-ls' will definitely be able to do that with the new tweeter and crossover. From what I understand they are waiting on the tweeters. You can always buy a pair of x-ls now and then get the upgrade kit which will be about $80. You won't really be loosing out on any $ and you'll have speakers earlier. However, one of the new x-ls models will have a slightly larger cabinet and I can't remember which one so it wouldn't be possible to do what I mentioned above.

yes, you are referring to the X-LS SWG. the SWG has the new tweeter mounted in a wave guide which is said to increase its low end extension, for better mating to the upgraded woofer. the enclosure is larger, and i know it uses the new tweeter/crossover, but i'm not sure if those are further upgraded beyond that. it is said to be good for near range listening, which is exactly what i'd be doing, so i'm really excited for it and would like some more info about its availability...

Quote:

Give Mark a little bit as they have been swamped lately. I'm still waiting for Louis to get back to me about a deal I picked up from a sale 3 weeks ago.

ah...ok. though i saw him responding to some other threads last night...but not my post
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #25 of 45
yeah, they've been busy. I called Louis and left him a voice mail last week about it but haven't heard back from him yet. Jess seems like he's caught up with orders a little bit more as he's been responding to me faster, but I placed my original order through him.

I'm actually bringing my x-ls over to a friend's tomorrow to do a little A/B between the Ref .5's that he got today. We A/B'd my x-ls with my ref .5's at my place with my receiver a while ago, but we wanted to do the comparison with the setup that they will be used with. I might end up trading my x-ls for the ref .5's. we'll see. It doesn't matter to me much because either way they'll only be the rear surrounds in my HT setup. I've got my Ref 1's up front
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From my readings at the forums, I'd expect the SWG first quarter, but there are often delays. Also, their price is >$300 IIRC

Here is a related thread for <200 bookshelfs:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/go...-200-a-270580/

My Mascarey Rosa Satin XLS (also got in on the black friday deal) and BPA-1 arrived and they sound/look great from my 3 minute test. I almost bit on an av123 subwoofer but am glad I didn't because it would have been overkill for the small room they will be in. Just one more week for legitimate use
cool.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #27 of 45
I'm using a t-amp gen 2 with my pair of ref .5's on my computer at the moment, but craig has a new x-19 25w digital amp that looks to be great. With the introductory pricing I don't think it's going to be beat by anything

Dec 23, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #28 of 45
Monitor Audio BR1 or BR2

last year's speaker of the year from What is Hifi magazine

Amazing speakers. I have their Silver RS1's which are a step up (better high end).

Dec 23, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 45
Well soloz2 I do have another option for you to consider. There is a new product from AV123. It's the X-LS Encore.

I've found their products to perform far past their asking price (most likely due to cutting out the middle man). I own two of their subwoofers and absolutely love them! I've also heard many of their speaker offerings, and I've always walked away very impressed.

Also you get stunning looking real wood veneer in a few choices, and great design aesthetics too IMO.
Check it out, there's a 30 day money back trial period as well.

AV123

Dec 23, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #30 of 45
LOL, thanks for the suggestions guys, and I like yours swt61! but I think I need to post a comment on the first post saying that I found speakers already, increased my budget and all that good stuff.

I actually got a pair of x-ls speakers and let me say that they are/were most excellent for the price. They bested several speakers I listened to costing double. I actually traded them for a second pair of Onix Reference .5's as the .5's matched my setup better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back