Looking for "must have" classic rock albums
Jan 24, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #33 of 69
Looks like Ozzy should also deserve a mention here. The album I reckon that should be there would be 'Tribute'.

Randy Rhoads live is simply jaw-dropping.

On top of nearly every song from the first two Ozzy albums with Rhoads on Tribute rendered live plus some very very good Sabbath takes by Rhoads in this album certainly make this a fine addition into any classic rock collection.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #35 of 69
Now that I'm remembering my high school days....laser light shows at the planetarium anyone?
smile.gif

Don't think these have been posted yet (might have missed them):

Humble Pie: Smokin'

Bowie: Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane

Heart: Magazine and Little Queen

Bad Company: Bad Company

Buffalo Springfield: Buffalo Springfield

Janis Joplin: Pearl

Who: Quadrophenia

...oh...and I'm a huge Stones fan:

Exile on Mainstreet
Sticky Fingers
Beggar's Banquet
Let it Bleed

are my favs.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #36 of 69
i hope three times mention is enough to make you get the lamb lies down on broadway.
i feel like radiohead and concept album stuff is kinda take it or leave it. hail to the thief and amnesiac are great for concept albums too, so are kid a and in rainbows but they all have limited classic rock sounding stuff. i actually think in rainbows is one of their most direct and rock oriented.
deep purple - fireball
if jeff beck is classic rock (although all i heard is wired) then so is return to forever. theyre one of my favorite

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #37 of 69
Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless
Aerosmith- Toys in the Attic
Nilsson-Schmilsson
Al Stewart- Past, Present and Future
The James Gang- The James Gang Rides Again
Anglagard- Hybris, Epilog
Aphroditie's Child- 666
Barclay James Harvest- Everyone is Everybody Else
Boz Scaggs- Silk Degrees
Cat Stevens- Teaser and the Firecat, Catch a Bull at Four, Tea for the Tillerman

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that I'm remembering my high school days....laser light shows at the planetarium anyone?
smile.gif

Boomana, you aren't by any wild chance referring to Laserium at Griffith Park in LA are you? If so-yes, and I love all the albums you mentioned.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #39 of 69
I'll add.... Steve Millers "The JOKER"..... Joe Walsh. "The Smoker You Drink the Player you Get"....Little Feat.. "Waiting for Columbus" HAPPY CAMPER has nailed the List!! Can I ask A Question......Where do you find All these great albums filled with great songs and great artist in todays music????? Or am I just one of those "Old Farts" NOW!!!!

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Vangelis mention, I'm surprised

Meh, what can I say, it was for me the original collaboraton between keyboards and vocals and has the magical 'So Long Ago So clear'

I feel compelled to add

Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow

Patrick Moraz - The story if i

Rick Wakeman - The 6 wives of Henry VIII, Journey to the centre of the earth, Myths and legends of the court of king Arthur and the Knights of the round table

Focus - Hocus Pocus

REM - Automatic for the people

and another vote for already mentioned

AC DC - Back in Black

Guns n Roses - Appetite for destruction

Bowie - The man who sold the world, Hunky Dory, Alladin Sane, Space Oddity, Ziggy Stardust,

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Beetles - White album, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sgt Peppers

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll add.... Steve Millers "The JOKER"..... Joe Walsh. "The Smoker You Drink the Player you Get"....Little Feat.. "Waiting for Columbus" HAPPY CAMPER has nailed the List!! Can I ask A Question......Where do you find All these great albums filled with great songs and great artist in todays music????? Or are we just those "Old Farts" NOW!!!!

Let me fix that for you.
biggrin.gif

I'm working on some promising young children of a friend. They are late teens and have been raised with my music. Hearing the 17 year old singing Frank put a big grin on my face. Anyway, they know my tastes and they have taken it up to find me new music with the components of that era without imitating it.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boomana, you aren't by any wild chance referring to Laserium at Griffith Park in LA are you? If so-yes, and I love all the albums you mentioned.

Nah. Used to go to the ones in Detroit at Wayne State University and in Flint, Michigan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll add.... Steve Millers "The JOKER"..... Joe Walsh. "The Smoker You Drink the Player you Get"....Little Feat.. "Waiting for Columbus" HAPPY CAMPER has nailed the List!! Can I ask A Question......Where do you find All these great albums filled with great songs and great artist in todays music????? Or am I just one of those "Old Farts" NOW!!!!

I still listen to Waiting for Columbus all the time. That version of Willin' is one of my favorite songs ever. I'd forgotten about those other two. This thread is bringing back some fun memories.

Anyone remember Rare Earth's One World? The Doobie Brothers?

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #43 of 69
Cream - Wheels of fire, Disraeli Gears
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska, Born to Run, Greeting from Asbury Park NJ, The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, Born in the USA.
Steely Dan - Can't buy a Thrill, Aja, Royal Scam
The Who - Who's next, Who are You

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah. Used to go to the ones in Detroit at Wayne State University and in Flint, Michigan.

I still listen to Waiting for Columbus all the time. That version of Willin' is one of my favorite songs ever. I'd forgotten about those other two. This thread is bringing back some fun memories.

Anyone remember Rare Earth's One World? The Doobie Brothers?

Fun era to have been part of, Michigan colleges were (and I'm sure still are) party city.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me fix that for you.
biggrin.gif

I'm working on some promising young children of a friend. They are late teens and have been raised with my music. Hearing the 17 year old singing Frank put a big grin on my face. Anyway, they know my tastes and they have taken it up to find me new music with the components of that era without imitating it.

Happy Camper, That's great news about your promising youths! I just wish more young people would learn to play instruments. My 14yr old plays guitar, and has David Gilmores stuff DOWN PAT... He only listens to (if I may) MY generations music.....I just keep encouraging him, and let him listen to any of my collection....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back