Pain of Salvation - Just about any album
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
Seventh Wonder - Waiting in the Wings, Mercy Falls
Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
Sun Caged - Sun Caged, Artemisia
Theocracy - Mirror of Souls

Let me know if you need more!

thank you very much for the names..it is very appreciated.

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #32 of 54
There have been a lot of great recommendations in this thread already. Seriously, almost every band that came to mind was mentioned already
biggrin.gif
. Well, not to beat a dead horse, but..

Pain of Salvation. Any album except for Scarsick--I really wasn't a big fan. If that served as my introduction to the band I don't think I would have liked them as much.

Redemption is nice as well. If preferred The Fullness of Time (complete with Sym X ripoff riffs) more than The Origin of Ruin, but both are solid releases. Their debut has a different vocalist, also good, and ironically similar to Jonh Arch (in that Ray Alder replaced him, and also replaced Arch for FW).

Speaking of which, get some Fates Warning. Early stuff is more busy, more metal. Arch also has a relatively new (2006?) 2 track EP, A Twist of Fate, out too, some nice stuff on there.

While this isn't melodic, I'd throw out Sculptured - Embodiment: Collapsing under the Weight of God. It's 12 tone death metal. That alone made it interesting enough for me to give it a spin. Some interesting drumming and it's an Agalloch side project (which is a bonus, imo).

And for a run down:

Spiral Architect (for some crazy stuff)
Transatlantic (though they're more rockish)
Cynic - Focus or Traced in Air, although I prefer Focus
Symphony X - all
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime and earlier

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #33 of 54
Ah, I just remembered:

Ephrat - No One's Words.

Just released about 2 months ago, produced by Steve Wilson. It's got Daniel Gildenlow (from Pain of Salvation) doing guest vocals on one song. I'd say it's more metal than rock, and it's certainly progressive. It mixes in some nice flute parts as well as some interesting eastern tinged keyboard themes. Amazon has it for download for $5.34. I feel it was money well spent.

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #34 of 54
I have another album to recommend.

Negura Bunget - Om

Progressive blackmetal. Not your typical fuzzy blackmetal but very deep and spiritual stuff with great soundscapes, gotta listen completely through. Great album.

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just be careful to sample some Therion before buying it. For me, they represent a very high cheese factor and are almost unlistenable.

Really? That's funny; I'm not sure if I've ever heard a prog/power metal band that wasn't cheesy. You can't have drama without cheese, and the drama is what I like most about metal. Maybe that's why I think Gothic Kabbalah is the best album of this decade by a considerable margin.

OP, if you are leaning in the direction of power metal (and it seems you are), I suggest you check out Gamma Ray. They are one of the original power metal acts, founded by arguably THE originator of power metal, Kai Hansen (ex-Helloween), in the late 1980s. Their album titled Land of the Free is often considered their best, but I'd suggest getting their best-of album Blast from the Past which was nearly entirely re-recorded with their present lineup, and their two most recent albums Majestic and Land of the Free II. They have two recent live albums as well, both of which are excellent. They are a very cheesy band, but you must embrace the cheese to truly appreciate the genre. Their guitar solos are epic, soulful, dramatic, and incredibly virtuostic.

\m/

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? That's funny; I'm not sure if I've ever heard a prog/power metal band that wasn't cheesy. You can't have drama without cheese, and the drama is what I like most about metal. Maybe that's why I think Gothic Kabbalah is the best album of this decade by a considerable margin.

Therion isn't prog power, the best way to describe Gothic Kabbalah would be that it's a Symphonic Power Metal album. And Gothic Kabbalah is far from being their best album; that title probably goes to either Lemuria or Theli.

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #37 of 54
^There are definite prog elements in GK, but I'd rather not get into a genre-splitting argument. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I find the drumming on Theli pretty sloppy, which irks me as a drummer. Lemuria is quite good; I'll agree with you there.

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

OP, if you are leaning in the direction of power metal (and it seems you are), I suggest you check out Gamma Ray. They are one of the original power metal acts, founded by arguably THE originator of power metal, Kai Hansen (ex-Helloween), in the late 1980s. Their album titled Land of the Free is often considered their best, but I'd suggest getting their best-of album Blast from the Past which was nearly entirely re-recorded with their present lineup, and their two most recent albums Majestic and Land of the Free II. They have two recent live albums as well, both of which are excellent. They are a very cheesy band, but you must embrace the cheese to truly appreciate the genre. Their guitar solos are epic, soulful, dramatic, and incredibly virtuostic.

\m/

What!? Shilling Gamma Ray and not giving a shout out to Powerplant!? It's a sin!

C'mon, Armageddon, Anywhere in the Galaxy, Hand of Fate and a damned Pet Shop Boys cover! Man, I've gotta go put that album on right now, cause it's a Heavy Metal Universe!

Seriously, you can't go wrong with Gamma Ray. Well, the Ralf Scheepers stuff is really hit or miss (mostly miss), but as Acid mentioned, they have re-recorded stuff on Blast from the Past.

Going in another direction, I know it's really not metal, but the word progressive is in the thread title so I have to mention Estradasphere. The Return from Palace of Mirrors was just on, and that was heavy metal enough to make me think of this thread and come back here.

Estradasphere is...well, imagine if you mixed every song from every genre you ever heard together. Then add some stuff you've never heard before. That's a close approximation of what they sound like. If you ever want to hear something new and different, give them a shot.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #39 of 54
I read my post again and see that it could easily offend someone who is a fan of the band. I had no intention of offending anyone, just voicing my opinion on the matter.

The OP said he doesn't like Dream Theater. I like some prog metal but also can't stand DT. So I figured that the OP and I must have some similar tastes. Therefore I just wanted to warn that a few sample listens may be in order before making a purchase.

Quote:

\m/

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP said he doesn't like Dream Theater.

What?

Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter
till now,the best album i heard is "images and words" by dream theater. its simply breathtaking! so metallic sounding and so wonderfully melodic!

if you can please introduce me some new artists with the same sound signature of dream theater and especially albums like "images and words" and "awake".
thx!

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #41 of 54
i was very much impressed from "gothic kabbalah" ,i also listened (but briefly i admit) to other therion albums and it sounded very nice too, also very melodic and opera influences too,like the "gothic". but there was something about "gothic kabbalah" that did something to me in the very first time i heard it in the metal shop. i find the melodies in this album very special and different from other albums i listened to from this kind.
i also bought another couple of albums from symphony x: odyssey and twilight in olympus,and although very good,i think i like v the most. the melodies in v are just breathtaking, and the sound is very metallic(like in all symphony x albums) like i love it.

just to say something about dream theater, they definitely got something that you can't find in any other progressive metal groups,that's for sure.
wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wenglish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What!? Shilling Gamma Ray and not giving a shout out to Powerplant!? It's a sin!

C'mon, Armageddon, Anywhere in the Galaxy, Hand of Fate and a damned Pet Shop Boys cover! Man, I've gotta go put that album on right now, cause it's a Heavy Metal Universe!

Sheepishly, I must admit that I do not quite own their entire catalog yet, but I'm working on it. I'll put Powerplant at the top of my list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was very much impressed from "gothic kabbalah" ,i also listened (but briefly i admit) to other therion albums and it sounded very nice too, also very melodic and opera influences too,like the "gothic". but there was something about "gothic kabbalah" that did something to me in the very first time i heard it in the metal shop. i find the melodies in this album very special and different from other albums i listened to from this kind.

Funny though it might sound, I think it's the unmistakable influence of Abba, most obvious in the song "Son of the Staves of Time", but very present throughout the entire album. Not surprisingly, Therion do an excellent cover of Abba's "Summer Night City". Dig it: YouTube - Therion - Summer night city

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mineralinsulated /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My God, why has no one mentioned Devin Townsend? Devin Devin Devin. Do Yourself a favour, Get some Devin Townsend.

i will check it out,thx! is it prog metal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back