looking for melodic progressive metal artists...except from dream theater
Dec 29, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #18 of 54
The later 3 PT albums (In Absentia, DeadWing and Fear of a Blank Planet) have strong metal influences; perhaps the OP can start there.

Anesthetize (from FOaBP) has a familiar name amongst the credits - Alex Lifeson plays a great solo in there.

Open Car has a great riff (and chorus) and it's not even the best (or second best even) song from DeadWing

Blackest Eyes (In Absentia) is pretty heavy as well

Dec 29, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #19 of 54
well...i went to the metal cd shop yesterday and bought 3 cds:
symphony x-v
evergreen-...dont remember the album's name
pagan's mind-anigmatic:calling

they are all great and i am gonna listen to more albums of pagan's for sure!
also i will check some of the other stuff you guys mentioned here.
i think that power prog' metal is really my direction. i wasnt sure what i wanted until yesterday, but now the genres is narrowed to power prog metal or just maybe power metal, the important thing is that it should be melodic!

i wil go to the metal shop soon and check some more power prog material.

thx everyone for their suggetions,i woulnt get to hear and buy all this unless your suggetions. i am so glad i have been exposed to this kind of metal.
i also dont neglects all the other great bands like dream,rush,porcupine,the flower kings etc. it just that i am in a power metal phaze right now.
how long will it last...? we will know someday.
thx again
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #20 of 54
well guys...my second day on the metal shop and i got 3 more cds:
ayreon-into the electric castle, wonderful masterpiece! amazing sound and melodies!

riverside-second life syndrome, the metal version of porcupine tree. awsome.
not too much heavy metal but metallic enough and this too has some great melodies and sound.

the third one is the cherry of the cream, and it called: "gothic kabbalah" by therion. its a double cd album and i heard it twice since i bought it(5 hours ago) in one word- amazing! one of the best albums i heard. its pure melodic metal and its also progressive but not extensively. all the songs (15 of them) are great,not only part of them. this is more than recommended for all the rock lovers out there.
i would like to say thx again for all the recommendations guys, now i really got it between my ears! (and inside my head!)
L3000.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #21 of 54
Angra - It's melodic and it's progressive, really a top quality band check out their albums with Matos on vocals, Angels Cry and Holy Land.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Angra - It's melodic and it's progressive, really a top quality band check out their albums with Matos on vocals, Angels Cry and Holy Land.

thx..in fact one of their albums was on the table in the cd shop. i didnt get the time to listen to it, but i will remember in the next time i'll be there.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the third one is the cherry of the cream, and it called: "gothic kabbalah" by therion.

You should probably pick up Secret of the Runes then, as I personally think it's the best album Therion has ever put out.

I guess you should also check out Kamelot if you're headed in the power metal direction.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should probably pick up Secret of the Runes then, as I personally think it's the best album Therion has ever put out.

I guess you should also check out Kamelot if you're headed in the power metal direction.

thx, i will. it just that there are a lot of good names so it will take me some time.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #27 of 54
Just be careful to sample some Therion before buying it. For me, they represent a very high cheese factor and are almost unlistenable.

Agalloch on the other hand, I highly recommend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I think I should have a listen to Therion. Sounds like a good listen, but I've never even heard of them.

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just be careful to sample some Therion before buying it. For me, they represent a very high cheese factor and are almost unlistenable.

Agalloch on the other hand, I highly recommend.

i am new to metal, and i heard that therion in the beginning was a death metal band and changed styles of metal from then until today.
i didnt listen to other of their albums except "gothic kabbalah" and i gonna do it for sure. i tell you, its probably the best rock album i have ever heard!
a really piece of art. its metallic and progressive and very melodic.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. Secret Of The Runes is one of the few Therion albums I truly like. Other is Lepaca Kliffoth, their more heavy metallish offering between their deathmetal and symphonic metal eras.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #30 of 54
Another set of recommendations:

Darkwater - Calling the Earth to Witness
Midflow - Destructive Device
Myrath - Hope
Nightingale - Alive Again
Pain of Salvation - Just about any album
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
Seventh Wonder - Waiting in the Wings, Mercy Falls
Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
Sun Caged - Sun Caged, Artemisia