looking for melodic orchestral (classical) music
Sep 20, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 40
I just read this thread from the top and I thought you'd say that about Mahler (do I win any points for that?).  We can't all enjoy the same things, so you'll have no flames from me.  But there *is* a melody, and I can sing it to you.  Still, you don't have to like it!

Don't give up on symphonies just yet . . .

I think Uncle Erik is on the right track for you with Dvorak's New World Symphony.  And thumbs up to the Costello/Juliet (David Sylvian's Secrets of the Beehive is kinda similar), though I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

Earerror's Shostakovich might work too -- try the Festive Overture, which is not dark and has plenty of melody, but might be brighter than what you're looking for.

If you're willing to stretch to choral, try this Grechaninov:  http://www.amazon.com/Grechaninov-Passion-Week-SACD/dp/B000N39HC6.  Great with the lights off and tubes glowing.  Amazing sound.

Just my 1 cent.

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 40
I also find Mahler quite boring and abstract, but for some odd reason Valen's atonality and self-developed dissonance polyphonic style do effect my feelings in an odd way. Maybe it's because he uses all the chromatic tones in a scale without utilizing a strict sequence. That's what sets him apart from other atonal composers, he has to some degree a ground-note and a scale, but it's floating and not to be found. I believe that's what he referred to as a dissonancing counterpoint, it's of lately that the world at large has begun to discovered him.

A great pianist by the way is Glenn Gould.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #18 of 40
I still need to try dvorak.   what about brahms..?  I really liked some of his short piano pieces but never listened to a piano concerto or other rather long piece of him.    got some really great melodies this guy.    if we are talking about classical music,I would say that so-far the two piano concerto's i liked the most are the chopin no.1 and shulmann no.1.       

if you guys have some nice movie soundstracks to recommend me i would also like that.    I found some movies to have really great music in them.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 40
Hey, so it goes.  Can't argue taste.  And I think to a certain extent, we're all homing in on understanding what you want to hear.

- Ed

Quote:
thanks for the rec's guys.  I must be honest,and please don't flame me for this.  I got the symphony no.5 of mahler...and this is probably THE most boring piece of classical music i have ever heard!     where is the melody??     it sound like an orchestra is just improvising all kinds of sound with thier instruments but without any real line of melody.  it sounds like a bunch of instruments do what they want.     there is no melody that repeats itself. 
you know what?  i will be happy to hear someone actually sings the melody of that piece.  i think it is impossible because THERE ISN'T ANY!
no mahler symhpony for me that's for sure..on fact no more symphonys,back to the lovely and melodic piano concertos.

by the way..the sound of the recording is very good though.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #20 of 40
Boy, you need to listen to some Dvorak (his cello concerto is worderful) and Brahms (his two piano concertos are unforgettable, the violin concerto, his four symphonies).  For a melancholic listen try the Barber's serenade for strings.

Quote:
I still need to try dvorak.   what about brahms..?  I really liked some of his short piano pieces but never listened to a piano concerto or other rather long piece of him.    got some really great melodies this guy.    if we are talking about classical music,I would say that so-far the two piano concerto's i liked the most are the chopin no.1 and shulmann no.1.       

if you guys have some nice movie soundstracks to recommend me i would also like that.    I found some movies to have really great music in them.

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #21 of 40

Quote:
Boy, you need to listen to some Dvorak (his cello concerto is worderful) and Brahms (his two piano concertos are unforgettable, the violin concerto, his four symphonies).  For a melancholic listen try the Barber's serenade for strings.

are you reffering to the "adagio for strings" by barber?   I only know the version of tiesto (trance) for this piece..but it sure is a wonderful melody.  I perhaps need to listen to the whole piece. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #23 of 40

Quote:
Check out some Apocalyptica songs. 

heard them...didn't like them.  I think that their idea is nice,but i didn't like the music itself expecially not the new album. but thanks for the suggestion anyway mate.

so right now the next on my list are: brahms and dvorak. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #24 of 40
I would really would like to have some kind of classical muic (or any other music with natural instruments) which has very simple and minimalistic melodies...the kind you find in post rock,the sigur ros' kind of post rock.   

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:
heard them...didn't like them.  I think that their idea is nice,but i didn't like the music itself expecially not the new album. but thanks for the suggestion anyway mate.

so right now the next on my list are: brahms and dvorak. 

Yeah their new album is something I would like to love but it seems so bland or generic maybe. Even though Joe Duplantier from Gojira has a song on it. Really only like their old stuff which was mostly covers but 4 cellos playing Domination or Refuse/Resist is wicked.

I will make one recommendation for classical, Domenico Scarlatti. Very enchanting music. Maybe not your style though.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #27 of 40
yo, just to butt in, I read your first post and just thought: "me too!!"  I love that kind of music but I don't know where to find it.

and I freaking love Rachmaninoff.  PC2 and some of his preludes are just omg.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #28 of 40
I don't know many symphonies or the like, but I can give some related matches?  I can't say I know anything about rock, but anyhow I'll take a chance to think our tastes are similar.

If you want some heart-wrenching lyricism in movie soundtracks:
- Gabriel's Oboe Theme from The Mission - Ennio Morricone
My favorite movie theme.  The buildup to the famous mission theme starts at 5:33.  You should also hear this on classical guitar by John (Christopher) Williams.
- Schindler's List Theme
Man.  You should also hear this on classical guitar by John (Christopher) Williams XD
- Also, the Godfather Theme "Speak Softly Love".  Again, classical guitar is good too
biggrin.gif

SIMPLE IS PROFOUND.

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #29 of 40
how could i not mention this...??  maybe one of the greatest melodies you can find in movies are the one from the film: "terminator".    simply genious imo,and i wish i could find some more melodies or themes like these.   if you know of any music of that style please comment.  

this is what i relate to as "melodic",the kind of melodies tha move you so much you wanna cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back