looking for melodic orchestral (classical) music
Sep 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
I have all kinds of classical at home...a rather small collection, but a nice one.
I especially attracted to the more romantic kind...chopin,lizt,rachmaninov,shulmann etc.

lately i am a mood for something really heavy...but also highly melodic.  not too crazy chords if you know what i mean.    I always loved the rather simple melodies.
but i wandered if there is a kind of classical music which have modern kind of melodies in it.    the kind of melodies you find in rock ,especially post rock.    I can use sigur ros' as direct comparison.
if there aren't such things in existence..than just recommend me something close to it.
I am looking for heavy stuff,very melancholic...but highly melodic.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvVvN0QvzTk&ob=av3e

take this song of madonna as example of the kind of melodies i am talking about.
I know that it is probably don't exist in straight fashion classical music,but maybe there's some new generation classical music that i don't know about...21th century artist maybe?

what i actually want is rock/pop/modern melodies played by classical instruments... is there such a thing?

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

what i actually want is rock/pop/modern melodies played by classical instruments... is there such a thing?

The only thing that I know of (which probably isn't what you're looking for) would be Electric Light Orchestra, Moody Blues, Apocalyptica, Diablo Swing Orchestra maybe. ELO specifically would fit as their orchestral instruments were actually the meat of the song and not just a classical work style interlude or such.

Very interesting thread though! I'm intrigued as well.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

The only thing that I know of (which probably isn't what you're looking for) would be Electric Light Orchestra, Moody Blues, Apocalyptica, Diablo Swing Orchestra maybe. ELO specifically would fit as their orchestral instruments were actually the meat of the song and not just a classical work style interlude or such.

Very interesting thread though! I'm intrigued as well.

thanks for the response.  from the ones you mentioned i only know the moody blues and apocalyptica.  while apocalyptica has a few nice melodies here and there, they are still metal oriented.
in fact,the moody blues' "nights in white satain" (...or whatever) is very close to what i am looking for.      I will check the two others you mentioned.

maybe instead of saying "classical music" I should just say "melodic orchestra" music..i think that this is more to the point.  I will change the title of this thread.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 40
I imagine you'll find ELO to your liking then. Other than their 2 disc greatest hits collection "Strange Magic" the only albums I've picked up have been "Eldorado" (thematic, grandiose composition), "A New World Record" (very solid, melancholic), and "Discovery" (moved toward more pop sounding, but some very good ballads).

If I'm missing something, someone please chime in.
biggrin.gif

As far as The Moody Blues go, their first five albums are considered their best works, starting with Days of Future Passed through Question of Balance. I just recently re-bought them all since they now have better remasters.

Diablo Swing Orchestra only has one album (supposedly a followup in the works) and the name of the band vividly describes the music. It's something else.

Also, you might want to check out the prog rock thread if you haven't already.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 40
ok thanks..but does ELO feautring also rock instruments?  because i am interested mainly in pure classical (orchestral) instruments playing.
but there is nothing wrong with rock or pop that feauters some nice melodies.  I would check that out thanks.

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 40
Permagrin, the Moody Blues' SACD remasters are really good - I've got just about all of them. They're so good, it's almost worth picking up a SACD player to listen to them.

Plonter, ELO uses rock instruments and vocals along with classical instruments. Give ELO a chance, though, since Lynne penned some incredible melodies.

You can find some rock translated into classical, I think there are several recordings of the Beatles done with traditional instruments. I don't know if that's exactly what you're looking for. Similarly, Elvis Costello's "The Juliet Letters" features him backed with classical instruments.

But, mostly, give classical a try. The melodies *are* there, but they tend to be repeated a few times, then go into variations and recurring themes. What might not seem melodic at first will come out after a few listens, then you'll find variations of it turning up throughout the rest of the piece. The fun part is that you'll keep finding more with repeat listens.

A few works you might want to check out:

Beethoven's Seventh
Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain
Orff's Carmina Burana
Holst's Planets
Dvorak's "New World" Symphony

They're plenty dark and have wonderful melodies throughout. By the way, look up the history of Carmina Burana - very interesting!

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
Permagrin, the Moody Blues' SACD remasters are really good - I've got just about all of them. They're so good, it's almost worth picking up a SACD player to listen to them.

Plonter, ELO uses rock instruments and vocals along with classical instruments. Give ELO a chance, though, since Lynne penned some incredible melodies.

You can find some rock translated into classical, I think there are several recordings of the Beatles done with traditional instruments. I don't know if that's exactly what you're looking for. Similarly, Elvis Costello's "The Juliet Letters" features him backed with classical instruments.

But, mostly, give classical a try. The melodies *are* there, but they tend to be repeated a few times, then go into variations and recurring themes. What might not seem melodic at first will come out after a few listens, then you'll find variations of it turning up throughout the rest of the piece. The fun part is that you'll keep finding more with repeat listens.

A few works you might want to check out:

Beethoven's Seventh
Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain
Orff's Carmina Burana
Holst's Planets
Dvorak's "New World" Symphony

They're plenty dark and have wonderful melodies throughout. By the way, look up the history of Carmina Burana - very interesting!

thanks eric. I already started to check ELO ...  i know all about the regular classical melodies, and yeah this is certainly the most melodic music one could ask for, but i am in fact looking for the kind of melodies that found mostly on post rock and especially melodic death metal (especially finnish) which are much more simple than melodies found in straight fashion classical music.    something more neo-classical the kind that you often find in movies.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 40

To an impervious nothingness they're thinned,
For the red clay has swallowed the white kind;
Into the flowers that gift of life has passed.
Where are the dead? -- their homely turns of speech,
The personal grace, the soul informing each?
Grubs thread their way where tears were once composed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YeJa_TnB0M

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 40

Quote:
Tchaikovsky's Sixth Symphony - Pathetique.

I will try that.    any comment about mahler symphonies?   from a little search i did here it seems that all are equally good so i will probably just pick one from the music store and give it a go.

I think that the music i was looking for can oftenly be found in movies..maybe you guys know some movies soundstracks that contains the kind of music  i am looking for?        It doesn't have to be necesseraly sad,or depresive melodies,but also happy ,the kind you feel like crying when listening to.     I felt that i need to clear that up since maybe some of you got a little confused about the word- "melancholic".

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 40
Mahler 5, 6, 9 work for me.  He was who came to mind first when I started reading your thread.

An oddity you might enjoy is Procol Harum with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.  Old reviews: http://www.superseventies.com/spprocolharum.html. There are links on that page to a few places to get it.  The Amazon link will dump you to an audiophile Japanese import at US$43, but there is also a Salvo remaster for about US$14 on the site.

- Ed

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 40
thanks for the rec's guys.  I must be honest,and please don't flame me for this.  I got the symphony no.5 of mahler...and this is probably THE most boring piece of classical music i have ever heard!     where is the melody??     it sound like an orchestra is just improvising all kinds of sound with thier instruments but without any real line of melody.  it sounds like a bunch of instruments do what they want.     there is no melody that repeats itself. 
you know what?  i will be happy to hear someone actually sings the melody of that piece.  i think it is impossible because THERE ISN'T ANY!
no mahler symhpony for me that's for sure..on fact no more symphonys,back to the lovely and melodic piano concertos.

by the way..the sound of the recording is very good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back