Looking for InEar Headphones with good BASS
Sep 13, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ShadowNemesis87

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, after reading through some of the forum posts here I found some good topics on earbuds but would like to get a up-2-date opinion on what's on the market.

I just recently lost a pair of Sony EX56LP's (right speaker blew out), and now I'm in the market for an upgrade. In the past I've owned a pair of Sennheiser 212 Pro, Klipsch s4(sold these the very next day), and finally the Sony EX56LP's. I listen to A LOT of Drum 'N' Bass, Electronica, and Rock, so you can understand where I want... nay, NEED good bass. For me, if you're not listening to good bass, you're not listening to music, just noise.

OK, so what would you guys say is up my alley? I'm looking for something in the <$150 range and bear in mind my last pair (the EX56LP's) had a range of 6-24k so I'll be looking for something that can challenge that sort of bass.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 36
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on their frequency range. That really doesn't mean much when most people can't hear past 17-18k and the fact that a good number of their frequency ends are actually something like -50db where you can't even hear it really.

I'd probably get a pair of Sennheiser IE8 if you don't need the best isolation although coming from the ex56lp they don't exactly offer the best isolation in the world. I don't think too little bass would be a complaint here. If you want something isolating something like Westone 3 might be considered.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 36
In $150 price range for the mind blowing base refer to Radius DDM, first ever Dual Driver IEMs, This compete with Top tiers IEMs in terms of sound quality, no kidding.
Some people here have issues with the fit and isolation. I personally don't and so another dozens of fellow DDM lovers.
Reviews here
sold through many shops around the globe depending on your location.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486541/radius-hp-twf11r-review-and-impressions-thread
AAA.jpg

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 36
I love my HJE900 for all those genres, and they certainly have lots of bass. It's very impactful and punchy, but still tight while remaining with natural decay. As has been mentioned, don't bear mind to the frequency range stated(though in that case, the HJE900s have a 6Hz-26kHz Frequency range, SHAZAM!).

That you sold the S4 indicates to me that you might not have liked their possibly harsh treble, which some say is the case with the HJE900. However using foam tips or stuffin foam down the nozzle on the HJE900 makes that problem completely disappear. Why did you sell your S4s? From the sound of things, they should have been much better than your EX56s.

There are also the Hippo VBs, which are known for their potentially humongous, great bass that doesn't bleed into the midrange, but can also have harsh treble. I would think stuffing some foam down the nozzle would help that though.

The DDMs seem perfectly up your alley, in terms of sound, and a good number of people compare them with top tiers in terms of Bass-heavy SQ. But as has been said, fit is hit or miss. They also don't isolate too much, apparently.

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 36
 Hippo VB are very nice, my favorite in the sub 100 USD category. They come with tunable plates which allow you to choose how much bass you want. detailed description found on the web.

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 36
I use a pair of Denon AH-C751. Some great deals now available too. Change to comply T400 foam buds and your bass dreams will come true. These drop down to 12hz.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 36

Thanks for the all the help guys I really appreciate it. I took a look into the different sets you guys were recommending but I'm finding that the majority of them run for upwards of $200+. I like what I'm reading about the Sennheiser IE8, the Hippo VB's seem to be more of my style(although I can't seem to find a legitimate retailer) and I was particularly impressed with the Panasonic Rp-HJE900 (really good stats all around on that one), but once again I couldn't find them for less than $250.00, same thing with the Radius DDM's.

Keep in mind, I am trying to find a good pair for $150 or less, but no more than $150.

Quote:
Why did you sell your S4s? From the sound of things, they should have been much better than your EX56s.

To answer your question. I bought them directly from the company so I know they were not counterfeit but when I started listening to them they had virtually no bass, I was shocked! For all the hub-bub that surrounded them they really didn't deliver, not to mention (as you said) a very shrill treble. Knock the cheap stuff all you like, but the MDR-EX56LP's I had were a God-send, the bass was surprisingly good along with the mid and high remaining crisp. The only thing was that the cord disintegrated on me within 3 months of use, even though I continued using them far after that (1yr & 3/4 I think).

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 36
You do realize that in your OP you put >$150 as a price range which means more than $150 not less. I would not suggest DDM if you care about isolation, fit, and comfort in an earphone.

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 36
If you like and can live with Sony EX56, Radius Atomic Bass is good. I has mid-bass impact which you can feel, I really enjoy it even I have other high-priced IEM. Better of all, it is priced $20 - $30.
http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Atomic-Aluminum-Earbuds-Silver/dp/B0018SDSVQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1284389550&sr=1-2

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 36

Quote:

Thanks for the all the help guys I really appreciate it. I took a look into the different sets you guys were recommending but I'm finding that the majority of them run for upwards of $200+. I like what I'm reading about the Sennheiser IE8, the Hippo VB's seem to be more of my style(although I can't seem to find a legitimate retailer) and I was particularly impressed with the Panasonic Rp-HJE900 (really good stats all around on that one), but once again I couldn't find them for less than $250.00, same thing with the Radius DDM's.

Keep in mind, I am trying to find a good pair for $150 or less, but no more than $150.

To answer your question. I bought them directly from the company so I know they were not counterfeit but when I started listening to them they had virtually no bass, I was shocked! For all the hub-bub that surrounded them they really didn't deliver, not to mention (as you said) a very shrill treble. Knock the cheap stuff all you like, but the MDR-EX56LP's I had were a God-send, the bass was surprisingly good along with the mid and high remaining crisp. The only thing was that the cord disintegrated on me within 3 months of use, even though I continued using them far after that (1yr & 3/4 I think).

Hippo VB and Radius DDM are sold at MusicaAcoustics.com

Contact and request DDM in OEM version. I payed $120 for mine.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
You do realize that in your OP you put >$150 as a price range which means more than $150 not less. I would not suggest DDM if you care about isolation, fit, and comfort in an earphone.

rolleyes.gif
You're absolutely right, sorry about that guys, my mistake (typing to fast). *fixed*

Quote:
If you like and can live with Sony EX56, Radius Atomic Bass is good. I has mid-bass impact which you can feel, I really enjoy it even I have other high-priced IEM. Better of all, it is priced $20 - $30.
http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Atomic-Aluminum-Earbuds-Silver/dp/B0018SDSVQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1284389550&sr=1-2

Thank you David, NOW you're talking
etysmile.gif
  I would however like to ask you, which would you recommend: The Atomic Bass or the latest Atomic Bass 2?

Also can anyone vouch for the Monster Turbine or V-MODA?

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 36
I think the Fischer Audio Eterna might do it for you. It's relatively cheap (~60) and sounds pretty good to me. They are a pretty balanced earphone but do have emphasis on bass and provide plenty of it.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 36
OK guys, going through and doing some research this is what I'm finding:

Monster Turbine
Great bass
Great mid
OK high

Atomic Bass
Good bass (reverberates around really low tones)
Great mid
Good high

V-MODA Bass Freq
Good bass
Weak mid
Weak high

Sennheiser IE8
Great bass
Good mid
Weak high

Alright so, I need some opinions here, do you feel what I've gathered here is accurate or not?

I probably should've specified what I will be using these In-ear's for anyway... Listening to techno, classical, DnB, movies and rock(various genres). So my point in telling you guys that, is to say that I'm looking for something that can give me clean bass for say the DnB, and some of the lower tones in shows and movies, while at the same time being able to handle the mid-ranges that are prevalent in Rock. I'm not super picky about the high's but I would like something that can give me a fairly nice sound when listening to techno and classical.

So far it's looking like the Monster Turbine's might be what I'm after but I want to be sure that I've covered everyone else before settling on those.

[EDIT] Thank you rawrster & yello131 but I couldn't find any concrete reviews on the Hippo VB or Fischer Audio Eterna. I don't want to rule them out so if you own a pair yourselves, please describe in short for me what you felt about their abilities between low-mid-high?

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 36
I got the westone UM2s and they provide very good bass and i'm lovin them dearly ATM. You can find good deals on ebay, mostly a little over $200. I got lucky and snagged mine from a seller for $177. And if you cant afford them then the UM1 might be good for you.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 36

Quote:
I got the westone UM2s and they provide very good bass and i'm lovin them dearly ATM. You can find good deals on ebay, mostly a little over $200. I got lucky and snagged mine from a seller for $177. And if you cant afford them then the UM1 might be good for you.

I took a look into this one. Really nice Db range, but low frequency response and a bit more on the pricey side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back