Looking for headphones?
Aug 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

owenploughman

New Head-Fier
Hey im new here, and im kinda new to hifi headphones in general, although ive done a lot of research. I'm looking for some good, closed headphones for around 300$. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music, but i am really into house/dubstep/electro, but also a lot of indie stuff. Here are the headphones i am currently looking at:

Shure SRH940          Denon AHD2000           AKG 272 HD           ​
I know that the denons are supposed to be a lot more bassy, but also a lot more leaky, not to mention theyre boring looking. Ive heard good things about both the shures and the akg's, but ive also heard that both are bass weak (by design) and i would like to know if the bass in these are really that weak or just not bass monsters.

So what do you guys think about these? Comparisons? Other suggestions? And also what amp should i get? Im looking at the total airhead, because im using my phone for music ( dont laugh lol its a droid charge but i figured it wouldnt be a good audio source by itself). So i need it to be small(portable).

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 12
Shure 940 all around. Best closed can that can contend with the Flagship $1000 cans.

Here for $209 with free shipping. Best deal around.

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
sweeeeet thanks :]

but any other opinions?

There are no contenders.

I've been this close to buying the shure (add them to cart to see price, btw) and pulled myself back about seven times now.

I'm quite happy with my HD598 at the moment and I'm not one who really likes Closed cans.

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 12
How about none of the above.  Denons I say have the bass you want for the dub step and electronic, but they aren't portable. Their bass has no lower limit but at the same time isn't that exaggerated, I call it proper bass-- like a finely integrated subwoofer.  I've heard good things about the DT1350, although I havn't tried them.  

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 12
A lot of people say they leak sound.  While that is true, it's not so much a case if your listening level is low to reasonable.  However if you listen at a highish volume level, they might as well be open cans.  They also let a lot of sound in for being closed, and that in turn would want to make you turn the volume up to get a clean sound.  They don't necessarily need an amp, but they do improve with one.  They also don't clamp very hard (to your benefit if you're still, but not if you're out and about)  The major case is just their sound leakage though.  I've used them successfully while traveling, but the volume wasn't loud.

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Head-fi'ers are extremely polarized when it comes to the smile curve-- which is what the Denon has.  Any headphone with a smile curve will be highly subjective.  Best example I can think of is the DT990 being either highly loved or highly hated, while the DT880 is a staple.  Headphones with strong mids and treble/bass roll-off can be as well, but the people who don't like them don't seem to be as out-spoken.  There's nothing really wrong with the Denons, really.  I think recommending the Shures over them for dub step is just another example of that outspokenness against the smiley curve.

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 12
i wont be listening to just dubstep, but are you saying the shures wont be good for electronic music like dubstep? It was my idea that the shures would be the best all-around headphones for portable use.

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 12
Beats me, everybody has different tolerances when it comes to bass representation.  Some people think the M50s have no bass.  Some think the AKG701 is bass accurate and not rolled off.  If you could return the Shures after you try them-- or try them out at a local store, you'd be able to get a good impression of their low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back