Looking for headphones - Sennheiser, Shure.
Mar 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JasonZ10

100+ Head-Fier
Hey audiophiles, I'm on vacation so I'm gonna keep this short.
Headphones I'm looking at:
Shure srh840
Sennheiser 555/558

I listen to rap/hiphop, techno, and a bit of rock. Lots of bassy music.
If you have any other suggestions, please recommend them
i'd like the headphones to be around ear/over ear not on ear
under $200 please

thank you,

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 4
Both are excellent choices but I propose the ATH-M50 as they are more comfortable, and because they are just great cans.  I don't particularly like the SRH840 because the treble is so steely to my ears.

If you need a wide soundstage (which is really great) go for the HD558; excellent open headphones with enough bass to satisfy.

However the bass of the ATH M50 will probably please you better since you asked for bass.  Plus they work better for rock and hip-hop.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 4
I've had my Shure SRH840s for about 7 months now.   While they sound great, don't buy them if you don't have very flat ears (physically). My left ear sticks out enough that it rubs against the inside and gets sore after about an hour.  I've had to actually use window weatherstrip on that side to get a little more spacing.   I've written Shure about the issue asking if they have taller ear pads available.  The answer back from customer service has been "no", but "will forward to product marketing". I've also discovered that the earpads come off rather easily, too easily, and I've had to unexpectedly put them back on a couple of times.

Also be aware that the Shures are 44 ohm, rather low, and therefore need a headamp that can push some current.

The Shures do sound very good, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back