Looking for headphones as a first time buyer
Nov 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NerdsofSteel

Head-Fier
I am not sure what I am looking for other my price is around $50-$80. I don't mind if they are open or closed, but there are two problems. first is I live in southeast asia which get's really hot during the day, so i'm guessing I'm looking for some headphones with velour earpads, but they don't seem to be common. And that I don't have a dedicated sound card(just my motherboad for my gaming computer) so that be problem as well. I would most likely be buying the pads now cause I believe they are the most important. I'm looking at the akg 242 cause they are on sale at amazon but they have something called velvet earpads. It looks like velour ones but I don't much about it and there is not a lot of enough on akg's website.  The headhpones would mostly be use for gaming(not multiplayer though cause I don't play it, if that helps anyone.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 12
Some Grado SR-60i would do it, open headphones, so closed and hot will not be a problem, they are on ear which will not cover completely and has a unique sound signiature, plus open headphones will have a great soundstage for gaming, allowing things to sound wider and more "3D".

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 12
I own the Alessandro MS1i ( more or less same to grado) and wouldn't really recommend them for gaming as they are uncomfortable after 1 or 2 hours usually. Furthermore, I don't think grado are excellent at the soundstage department. Just because they are open doesn't mean they have good soundstage you know..

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 12
sorry to bump up the thread but I think I can  get a little more money to get a better headphone but my limit would be $150 now. the reason why I don't want the grado's is because I'm not really fond of the retro look. i'm looking for something a little bit more stylish really

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 12
  Sennheiser HD 558, nuff said, and mod them with the dampening foam to sound equivalent to the HD 598

thankS and If I could get the hd 558 for $100  on black friday, I'll buy it. But I might go with with the 518 though. Where can I buy them in the US with international warranty and is authorized dealer? Other than sonic electronix. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back