Looking for Head-Fi Members in the Nashville / Middle Tennessee / North Alabama / Kentucky area
Jan 9, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #46 of 68
You need a Chattanooga meet
smily_headphones1.gif

**BRENT**

Ha! Oteil is down there too... Might set it up someday. Next one might be marginally closer to you-- we're looking at Smyrna and Murfreesboro as possible locations at the moment.

And what the hell, you need to make it to one of the Nashville meets anyway!! Nobody is going to believe just how good your Stax IEMs are until they hear those suckers... :wink:

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #47 of 68
If you guys are referring to the Nashville meet, I'm gonna start the planning in the next couple of weeks! I'm looking at mid- to late- March at the moment, but that might change based on how everything plays out. We'll be discussing it in the Fall meet pictures and impressions thread, if you'd like to join us!
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure what thread you are talking about - definitely want to come this year if I'm able. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #48 of 68
  Not sure what thread you are talking about - definitely want to come this year if I'm able. 

Here's the thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/735490/music-city-meet-2-fall-2014-pics-impressions-thread

Hope to see you there!

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #50 of 68
Thanks to Skyline for the assist!!

@harlw: Yeah man, we'd love to have you! I'll be scouting the locations from the places that put in bids tomorrow, so hopefully by the end of this weekend we'll have an actual place locked up, and I'll start a separate event thread. I'll try to remember to post the link here too in case anybody else is interested in coming :wink:.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #51 of 68
Thanks to Skyline for the assist!!

@harlw
: Yeah man, we'd love to have you! I'll be scouting the locations from the places that put in bids tomorrow, so hopefully by the end of this weekend we'll have an actual place locked up, and I'll start a separate event thread. I'll try to remember to post the link here too in case anybody else is interested in coming :wink:.

Excellent. All my stuff is very mid-fi but I'm happy to tag along.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #52 of 68
Excellent. All my stuff is very mid-fi but I'm happy to tag along.

Mid-fi is where you get the greatest amount of enjoyment for the least amount of cash and audiophilic OCD. Plus, basically all of us still keep some good mid-fi stuff around, because it can be really good as well, and better suited for mobile use, etc.

You'll probably end up being surprised at A) how great some of the gear you'll hear is, and B) how well the stuff you already like stacks up against some considerably more expensive gear. It's cool to start to figure out how your preferences interact with all the gear you read about. I found out, for example, that I really like treble articulation and extension more than I ever thought I would, and that I really dislike the much-ballyhooed HD650s. Horses for courses, strokes for folks. Meets like this are a great way to talk to really cool people and to really get a feel for what suits you best!

As a Beyer guy, though, I have to warn you... The T1 is, in my opinion, truly All That And A Pack of Crackers™.  Listen only at great risk to your wallet!
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #54 of 68

Mid-fi is where you get the greatest amount of enjoyment for the least amount of cash and audiophilic OCD. Plus, basically all of us still keep some good mid-fi stuff around, because it can be really good as well, and better suited for mobile use, etc.

You'll probably end up being surprised at A) how great some of the gear you'll hear is, and B) how well the stuff you already like stacks up against some considerably more expensive gear. It's cool to start to figure out how your preferences interact with all the gear you read about. I found out, for example, that I really like treble articulation and extension more than I ever thought I would, and that I really dislike the much-ballyhooed HD650s. Horses for courses, strokes for folks. Meets like this are a great way to talk to really cool people and to really get a feel for what suits you best!

As a Beyer guy, though, I have to warn you... The T1 is, in my opinion, truly All That And A Pack of Crackers™.  Listen only at great risk to your wallet!
wink.gif

Absolutely - auditioning everyone's setups will certainly accelerate the process and satiate much of my curiosity about all of the wonderful choices out there. I can't wait.
Certainly will be nice to be amongst folks that don't respond with "What dude, you have a real problem."!
*"much-ballyhooed" added to vocabulary*

Good for you. Stay there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea - I'm trying really hard to, lol.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #55 of 68
Good for you. Stay there!
smily_headphones1.gif

My wallet certainly wishes I had followed this advice :s. Hope you can make it to the meet, Joe! And if your better half is amenable, she is of course welcome as well!

Absolutely - auditioning everyone's setups will certainly accelerate the process and satiate much of my curiosity about all of the wonderful choices out there. I can't wait.
Certainly will be nice to be amongst folks that don't respond with "What dude, you have a real problem."!
*"much-ballyhooed" added to vocabulary*

Yea - I'm trying really hard to, lol.

You'll hear the rest of us ribbing Jay good-naturedly about his insatiable (and promiscuous) gear lust, and you'll quickly understand why. (We don't seem to rag Matt about it as much, but he's every bit as guilty-- don't let him fool you!)

Random: I was listening to "Says You" on NPR a few weeks ago, and they talked about the derivation of the word "ballyhoo"-- which apparently came from a small town in County Cork in Ireland named Ballyhooly. File that under "things that might win you a free beer in a trivia bar sometime." :)

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #56 of 68
Hey, all! I live in Memphis and would be interested to attend the next meet-up. 

As for me, I'm using mostly portable things: Fiio x3, Ultrasone HFI 780s, and ATH AD700s for when I'm listening at home. I just ordered my first tube amp, the Bravo V2 (well, hybrid).

I'd love to meet some folks who share my obsession :)

It'd be great to listen to some things I read about all the time but have never heard for myself. 

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #57 of 68

As for me, I'm using mostly portable things: Fiio x3, Ultrasone HFI 780s, and ATH AD700s for when I'm listening at home. I just ordered my first tube amp, the Bravo V2 (well, hybrid).

It'd be great to listen to some things I read about all the time but have never heard for myself. 

Awesome.  

I'd love to check out the X3.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #58 of 68

Very cool, man! Don't think we've had representation from the Memphis contingent yet, so it'll be great to have you there! I've been interested in hearing the Bravo for kicks and giggles, so that'll be awesome. Plus, anybody who lists Radiohead and NIN in their "favorite bands" list is gonna get along juuuuust fine with me :wink:.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #59 of 68
  Awesome.  

I'd love to check out the X3.

For sure. After you get past the UI learning curve, the x3 is great. I've had it for over a year and haven't had any issues with it. Although, if the x7 has two SD slots, I plan to upgrade to that. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #60 of 68

Very cool, man! Don't think we've had representation from the Memphis contingent yet, so it'll be great to have you there! I've been interested in hearing the Bravo for kicks and giggles, so that'll be awesome. Plus, anybody who lists Radiohead and NIN in their "favorite bands" list is gonna get along juuuuust fine with me :wink:.

Alright! My first listen once I get the Bravo V2 will most definitely be Kid A :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back