Looking for great cans for a specific purpose.
Apr 20, 2020 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

docStrange82

New Head-Fier
So first off, hello everyone - I'm new here.

I've looked through these forums quiet a bit, and I'm still at a loss. I've also looked all over the internet for hours and keep coming up still unsure.
So here's the thing, I'm looking for a really nice headset for a few purposes.

I'm looking for a great set MOSTLY for PC gaming.(Edit: MICROPHONE NOT NEEDED. Going to use a ModMic Wireless) For all the purposes you'd want one. A good majority of what they'll be used for is that. FPS gaming where footsteps are important, and RPGs where ambiance is important. Immersion is key. However - I'd likely prefer open rather than closed headphones.

That being said, I will use them occasionally for music and still want something that's going to be great. They will be used via my PC and my record player. Likely will not be used via my phone or anything else.
Genres are very mixed for me, anything from country, to rap/hip-hop, jazz and even metal of every genre.
Bass is key and if it's important, when I do listen to digital audio, it's usually lossless audio.

Now, along with this, I don't mind buying a soundcard for my PC, and/or amp/dac. Here's the kicker; I don't know a thing about amps/dacs/soundcards or their utility. This is another part that I'm in the dark on.

My total budget is about $500, the less the better - however I also do have the problem of having a natural ear for audio (stagehand) so I'd rather toss the dosh at it. However, diminishing returns are something I hate.

This budget can be expanded over time as I save more, but again, prefer to keep it lower.

Now, without knowing much about what I'm looking for and widely varying opinions, this is what I've come around to - however completely open to suggestions.

So far,
HIFIMAN HE4XX for headphones
Creative Soundblaster AE-7 soundcard. Idk if that sound card would even be useful.

Edit again: Something louder but clear is also a little important, as I do have minor hearing loss from an explosion years ago.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 14
There are a couple of gaming headphone threads here.

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Apr 20, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Hi mate, I can heartily recommend the Sennheiser HD660s as an all-rounder that'll give you great enjoyment for music and gaming well into the future. Great imaging and a hugely versatile sound signature. Very comfortable as well.

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 14
Hi mate, I can heartily recommend the Sennheiser HD660s as an all-rounder that'll give you great enjoyment for music and gaming well into the future. Great imaging and a hugely versatile sound signature. Very comfortable as well.
So, this is something I looked into. They seem like a really bomb headset, but that blows almost the whole budget on the headset alone, and I only have onboard audio at the moment. My problem with a pair of this high a price is that I'm going to be really limiting how quality I can get with them for an undetermined amount of time (problem is I know when I get paid, but it has to clear my account, then I have to find the correct item and have it shipped.)

So my question to you would be, what would you pair this with? I was looking at some things like a SoundBlaster AE-7 amp/dac audio card - but I don't know if that is actually good enough. I know that based on it's specs it can power it, but is it really going to pull the sound for something like that?

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 14
So, this is something I looked into. They seem like a really bomb headset, but that blows almost the whole budget on the headset alone, and I only have onboard audio at the moment. My problem with a pair of this high a price is that I'm going to be really limiting how quality I can get with them for an undetermined amount of time (problem is I know when I get paid, but it has to clear my account, then I have to find the correct item and have it shipped.)

So my question to you would be, what would you pair this with? I was looking at some things like a SoundBlaster AE-7 amp/dac audio card - but I don't know if that is actually good enough. I know that based on it's specs it can power it, but is it really going to pull the sound for something like that?
I game with a HD58X and it works perfectly fine. It's much MUCH better than my previous gaming set, a Sennheiser PC 300 something, god it was awful. You can also look at the HD6XX. I would go for an external DAC/Amp, nothing too fancy but with decent power to compensate for your hearing loss. I find them much more practical than sound cards. I stay away from all the gimmicky 3D or surround effects.

I can't say much about those gaming headphones. I guess if you want RGB, you will have to look at them! Haha!

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 14
My rec to you is the HD58X with a iFi Zen DAC. It's well in your budget, sounds good and that xbass button on the Zen DAC, oh sooo delightful. Yeah, I like bass too! Good entry stuff, definitely worth the price.

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 14

Hey mate, in that case I'd go for the HD58X which is pretty line-ball with the 660s. Add something like the Schiit Hel and you're good to go.

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 14
Information overload is real. But the more time you spend in this crazy audio circle the more you learn what's what, and eventually the weird language we headphone nutjobs speak starts making sense.

I don't have experience with the HD660S or HD58X, but the HD650 or the HD6XX will work very well. I've used the HD650 for years and I've been a pretty serious FPS player at various points over the years. Plenty of pro players use them too. The HD6XX should be mechanically identical to the HD650, just with a shorter cable and made out of a slightly cheaper plastic.

I would pair it with something like the Schiit Hel, or the Magni amp with a Modi DAC. All of that together should be within your budget.

Also, if you want to put a microphone on it, the Antlion Audio Modmic works very well. It has a magnetic attachment point and the grilles on the 650 are metal so it holds on well. The sound quality of the mic is quite decent too. The cables are not dog-proof however... just saying.

It's hard to go wrong with this stuff, and you'll have a great setup for music too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back