Looking for good headphones for a gaming friend.
May 31, 2012 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

B-Dawk20

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've convinced a friend to try and get good gaming headphones and have recommended him the AD700 but I want to make sure he has all his options available to him. He will be using these primarily for playing Dota and sometimes music. He will be using this from either his Macbook or his computer's stock realtek jacks. He isn't willing to get any extra equipment yet so that's out of the books. Price limit is around $100

One thing he is really against is it not having so if you know any options that come with one, that'd be awesome, if not, don't worry about.

May 31, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 21
I came across this little guy www.modmic.com

I think he will be getting that as well. So that kinda drops the budget down to $60-70.

May 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 21
I came across this little guy www.modmic.com

I think he will be getting that as well. So that kinda drops the budget down to $60-70.

I like the Sony MDR-V6's in that approximate price range for pretty much any use. They have neutral sound, great build quality, and fold up for portability. I think they're $75.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 21
Jun 1, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 21
The ATH-AD700s have a very light bass.
The Samson SR850 and Superlux HD668B have more bass and cost less.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Yeah the one thing I'm concerned about with that guide is he uses dolby surround while doing his reviews which will not reflect the situation my friend will have very well. It at least gives me a list of headphones I forgot to consider though.

@PurpleAngel I wouldn't go after headphones with any significant bass bunch for gaming tbqh. And I already know the AD700 is bass light because I own one
darthsmile.gif

I think I will look further into the creative aurvana live right now. Seems like it could work for $70

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
Yeah the one thing I'm concerned about with that guide is he uses dolby surround while doing his reviews which will not reflect the situation my friend will have very well. It at least gives me a list of headphones I forgot to consider though.
@PurpleAngel I wouldn't go after headphones with any significant bass bunch for gaming tbqh. And I already know the AD700 is bass light because I own one
darthsmile.gif

I think I will look further into the creative aurvana live right now. Seems like it could work for $70

I would not say the Samson SR850 have a heavy bass, just decent.
I like the sound of the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), but to me the cups are too small and the diaphragm seems to be about 1 millimeter from my ears.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 21
The CALs price went up too...damn, I don't think they are gonna be as good as a deal at $95

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 21
I seriously suggest you look into the 668s/Samsons. Very good gaming headphones considering their price. Also there are cheaper options than modmic (zalman clip on), its way overpriced.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 21
Also look into the HD555 which you can easily mod to sound like the 595, which is a stellar gaming can.

edit: Looks like the price skyrocketed since last time I checked, lol. Never mind.

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 21
Superlux HD681? not as bassy as the samson. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 21
So the Samson 860, Superflux, SR681, and SR668 seem to be decent options around the price range? How do the three compare to each other?

And as far as the Zalman goes, it just looks like it'd pick up way too much background noise. How does it fare with that?

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
And as far as the Zalman goes, it just looks like it'd pick up way too much background noise. How does it fare with that?

The Zalman isn't that great.  It only picks up my voice if it's clipped to my face ( very painful). 

I would stick with the modmic.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 21
Skip the Zalman. Thing sucks hardcore. If you need a clip on, the Dealextreme one is legit, though it takes forever to get to you, but its cheap.

I'd get the modmic if I hadn't owned the clip on.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 21
Yeah im sticking with the modmic. Do you think most of the reviews you gave on the headphones translates to normal stereo play, Mad Lust?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back