Looking for good DAP that is reliable!
May 3, 2021 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Robbos

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I've repeatedly fallen down the rabbit hole trying to find info on a decent DAP player in the $80-$150 range. There are a few models from Shanling, Fiio, and HIDIZ I've been looking at, but when I read further I find an alarming amount of comments about software issues/glitches. I currently have a LG G5 cell that has good audio but I want a stand alone device. My love for the LG G5 points as well to what I am looking for- a reliable device that can also be repaired if neccesary without too much fuss. I am fed up with (costly) devices that don't let you change the battery without 30 steps and five hours of swearing. There seems to be little discussion about this aspect of our devices- repairability. So in addition to the list below, are there models/brands to avoid?
Here's my wish list:
1. A simple device with stable software. Don't need no fancy touch screens.
2. Expandable storage
3. Bluetooth
4. A good capacity battery that can be replaced (eventually) without too much fuss
5. Good audio output with adjustable sound settings.
I know this is quite the picky list, but I figured it was worth a try!
Thanks,
Rob

May 3, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello all,
I've repeatedly fallen down the rabbit hole trying to find info on a decent DAP player in the $80-$150 range. There are a few models from Shanling, Fiio, and HIDIZ I've been looking at, but when I read further I find an alarming amount of comments about software issues/glitches. I currently have a LG G5 cell that has good audio but I want a stand alone device. My love for the LG G5 points as well to what I am looking for- a reliable device that can also be repaired if neccesary without too much fuss. I am fed up with (costly) devices that don't let you change the battery without 30 steps and five hours of swearing. There seems to be little discussion about this aspect of our devices- repairability. So in addition to the list below, are there models/brands to avoid?
Here's my wish list:
1. A simple device with stable software. Don't need no fancy touch screens.
2. Expandable storage
3. Bluetooth
4. A good capacity battery that can be replaced (eventually) without too much fuss
5. Good audio output with adjustable sound settings.
I know this is quite the picky list, but I figured it was worth a try!
Thanks,
Rob

I have 2 DAPs that fit in your price range (though they don't have replaceable batteries).
Both have about 20+ hours battery life, BT, simple UI, expandable storage, great sound.

The first is the Shanling Q1, I got it at $90 USD, good neutralish sound, small profile.

The 2nd is the Sony A55 Walkman, smooth sony house sound, non fatiguing. There's a firmware mod that u can download to unlock an even better sound and it scales up when the new firmware is used.

May 17, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 6
I have 2 DAPs that fit in your price range (though they don't have replaceable batteries).
Both have about 20+ hours battery life, BT, simple UI, expandable storage, great sound.

The first is the Shanling Q1, I got it at $90 USD, good neutralish sound, small profile.

The 2nd is the Sony A55 Walkman, smooth sony house sound, non fatiguing. There's a firmware mod that u can download to unlock an even better sound and it scales up when the new firmware is used.
Do you have any preference between the Shanling Q1 and the Sony NW A55?

May 17, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 6
Do you have any preference between the Shanling Q1 and the Sony NW A55?

I use both and rotate them.

The Shanling Q1 is my preference to evaluate a new IEM, as the DAP is neutralish and doesn't colour sound much.

The Sony A55 (with firmware mod) has better soundstage and technicalities, but it has the typical warm/smooth Sony house sound. It makes stuff very musical and enjoyable, but some might find it too coloured. So I use it for general music appreciation and enjoyment, to sit back and relax. Sony A55 is also almost double the price, so that's one thing to factor in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back