Looking for full balanced integrated CD player with warm analog sound
Feb 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoms /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was given one. The 303/300 is too expensive...

What do you think of MHZS 88 ? I was told it's fully balanced and sounds very analog and warm. Warmer than the CEC TL51XR ?

Cheers,

both wrong - MHZS cd88 is neutral/slightly bright but neither fullbodied or thin

it has balanced outputs but it is not fully balanced - opa 2604 is changing se to balanced before output

it's a very good player for price anyway - more powerfull sounding than CEC but not as smooth

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #17 of 29
Another vote for the Cambridge Audio 840c. It beat out my modded Eastsound E5, which replaced a Meridian G08 which beat out both the Ayre CX-7e and Cary 303/300 in parallel use in my system.

Currently the 840C fulfills my needs very well so I will likely keep it for some time although I may look into modding the analog output stage.

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #19 of 29
Feb 23, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #20 of 29
in US for mod price only You can buy state of the art player second-hand* ( as for me only option here is personal pickup )

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 29
The Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 tubed output cd player should be on your shortlist. You can still get a Stereophile review online. I have had mine for ~2 years and have no intention of replacing it. With some tube rolling, you can fine tune the sonic characteristics to your liking. Good luck!

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ have you looked into these mods by reference audio. i have no idea if they are worth it.

Cambridge Audio Azur 840c High Performance Modifications!: Reference Audio Mods

Yes I have. I am most interested in mods to the analog outputs (see below).

Quote:

Originally Posted by piotr z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
modifications are never worth as much as they are asking for them - and You lose x2 when You selling - it's much wiser to just buy better cd player

I totally disagree with this especially when many kilobucks players such as most of the Esoteric units have trully mediocre analog output stages, especially the balanced outputs. In my own experience I compared a modified Eastsound E5 (zapfilter & PSU, better clock, and Fairchild Stealth hexfred diodes in the digital PSU) to a stock Meridian G08 in my system for several months. It was close but the Meridian cost 3x the price of the modded Eastsound so I sold the Meridian and used the difference in price to buy a nice balanced amp
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I have. I am most interested in mods to the analog outputs (see below).

that mod cost about as much as the player.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True but together they still cost less than the G08 I previously owned
wink.gif

You'll see how much that will cost You when You decide to upgrade source - nobody will pay You more than stock eastsound - more likely even less

and another story - these mods are pure rip off - ( most of the time parts used for mod have got much worse final price/parts price ratio than any of top hi-end players ) - just to give example on pricing
ESound CD-E5 Euro/Signature Budget/Super/Ultra/Unlimited Mods: Reference Audio Mods

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #27 of 29
Hi,
Cayin CDT-17A seems as good choice as well. Can be found at a good price, full balanced, tube based.
The question is: does a tubes replacement (by a model to be defined) would make it sound really warm ? Warmer than a CEC TL51XR (which is also on my shortlist) ?

Thanks !

Feb 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #28 of 29
Hi,

Just to let people know. I'll go for the TL53Z or TL51XR if this latest does not fit my budget. But CEC sounds warm, analog, is full balanced and fits my budget. So...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back