Looking for free career advice. (particularly from lawyers, vets and teachers)
Jun 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I'm not afraid of public speaking, but the prospect of defending/prosecuting in court doesn't really pique my interest. The moral ambiguity makes me uncertain. Although, after dealing with a couple of terrible, cheap landlords in recent years... I think I'd quite enjoy dealing with rental, housing and leasing laws. There's actually a lawyer that works on campus who specifically deals with these issues for students. THAT job sounds like a dream, using knowledge to help those who are otherwise out of the loop and being taken advantage of because of it.

Believe me, the paper shoveling gets old in a hurry. If you're good at it, then the piles will just get bigger and you'll spend more time with them.

Also, trial advocacy is nothing like what you see on TV. 95% of it is doing routine stuff, like standing up and saying, "your honor, I have a pretrial conference on the 15th, but I am free on the 22nd. If that works for the Court and the other counsel, let's set it the 22nd." You look over at opposing counsel who says "OK," then you and opposing counsel go have lunch. Sometimes you'll settle the case right then. The high drama ain't there.

Maybe that's for you, maybe it isn't, but that's what the job is. It makes for bad TV, but is pretty livable.

About the top 14 law schools and grades... don't put that much stock into it. Remember, 90% of those out there practicing weren't in the top 10% and they don't give a rat's ass where you graduated. They want experience, the ability to pull in clients and a clean disciplinary record.

I went to a mid range school and graduated in the top 50%. I was not going to kill myself for some ranking. I just wanted to graduate and pass the bar. The first job paid badly, but I went back to school and got another degree in accounting. You can always add to your skill set later or get a complimentary degree.

Oh, and the whole big firm/associate game is a bunch of BS, anyhow. Even if you go to the Big Name School and make law review, you're still cannon fodder at the big firms. Remember, they're stocked with 200 other associates just like you. You're no longer special. Every year, about 70% of the associates will leave. Of those that remain, only four or five will make partner after six to eight years of putting in 80-90 hour weeks.

You might not make partner because one of the partners doesn't like you personally. Or you might not make partner even though they love you and you bring in clients because several partners in their seventies aren't ready to hang it up and want to skim your earnings for several more years. Meanwhile, you work 80 hours a week and they get to keep 90% of what your clients are paying the firm. You'll get strung along - maybe if you take on another case (hey, it's only 10 hours a week) you'll look good during the partnership review.

And even if you make partner, a lot of firms start you off as a non-equity partner. Meaning that you don't get a share of the total revenue, but they have this second tier to keep you from jumping ship or starting your own firm.

The equity partners don't have it easy, either. These days, it seems that clients aren't always paying their bills or demanding discounts and reductions.

So after killing yourself for close to ten years, you might end up screwed in the end.

It's not worth it. The whole Big School/Big Ranking/Big Firm thing is overblown. It's just a way to waste your life.

I'm not big on academia, either. It's fine for some people, but there's a backstabby atmosphere and I don't want to publish what inevitably goes unread. It can be good for others, but that sort of thing drives me crazy.

If you care about the law, go to a school you can afford and take all the practical stuff. Then get out there. The low paying jobs don't always stay that way. You need to get your feet wet for a couple of years, but then you can go it alone or with a few friends.

The many people I know who've done that have ended up bringing down $100k-$300k a year. If you keep overheat low you can still do pretty good charging $75-$100 per hour. $75 an hour at 2,000 hours a year works out to $150,000. How bad would that be? Get three or four other attorneys you like together, rent a place, and do your own thing without all the BS and wasted life. If you set up your own shop, you're not going to care about your law school ranking, are you? Clients never ask, either.

There's one solo in Oregon I knew who scheduled her appointments and meetings mostly in the evenings. Clients loved that - they didn't have to take time off from work.

Then she bought an unlimited lift pass at the local ski area. It was mostly deserted during week hours Monday through Friday.

She spent her days skiing. I can't remember her ever seeming unhappy.

In contrast, I can't remember the last time I saw someone that happy at my office.

The only reason I'm not in my office right now is because they're shut down for emergency fire/life testing. I'll be there tomorrow, though.

But don't fall for the game, the stuff you're "supposed" to do to be "successful." Until I had to come back to LA to help the family, I was close to partnering up with a solo practitioner who had extra office space. From the work I already had after a couple years in the county, I probably would have pulled close to $100k the first year.

I will go back to that. But for now, the Big Firm is OK. I don't care about "making it," I care about stuffing cash into savings and investments. When I get back to the real practice of law, I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep hours down to 1,000-1,500 a year. Enough to actually work and enjoy it, but also plenty of time to take a couple weeks off for a vacation just about any time I feel like it. Contrast that with the "prestige" of grinding 90 hour weeks in an office tower.

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have something against duck?
Here you're judging my character over an inept medium. Forgive me for doing the same thing, but I was under the impression that teachers should be more mature than their students (which is why I am choosing to limit myself to primary school
rolleyes.gif
). Regardless, these high school students sound like nice guys
wink.gif

No need to feel sorry for me. It keeps life interesting.
Someone can be a clown and completely serious at the same time.

Wow. I was not judging your character; I was judging your intent. You want to be a teacher for the free time? Are you friggin' serious? How am I supposed to judge you? Lazy? Not serious? Clueless? So busy being a clown that you have not come up with a real reason for doing it?

How about you get mature and give some real reasons for why you want to be a teacher, vet, lawyer, etc?

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Wanted to be a musician since i was 3, and had a bout with RSI at 19. I am still 19, but currently not wanting to get back into music (due to performance related injury).
Current career options are:
Law, Vet Science, Primary school teacher.
I like animals, law will give me some money (i need all the help i can get with women), teaching will give me a lot of time to listen to music. I like to listen to music for long periods of time. I'm not overly fond of money.

Curious if anyone from the respective careers can comment on the jobs affect on their listening habits.
Members outside of these can feel free to chip in their two cents.
Thanks

Lawyer here. I've worked at a 4-lawyer boutique, a giant law firm, and now I'm a solo practitioner. I do not listen to music critically when working, it's too distracting. I usually have something playing in the background (right now I'm listening to Led Zeppelin's 6-night stand at the LA Forum in 1977), but when I'm in the zone working, I don't even hear it.

Any young lawyer will be expected to work a lot, and very hard, all of which will serve to keep you from having the quality time you obviously want to listen to music. The hard work also will cut into your social life, so you'll probably not date as much as someone who doesn't have to work as hard. And here's the rub -- you'll be working a lot, and could make a lot, but if you pro rate it per hour, you won't be making much more than one of your college friends who went into IT or something similar and works a straight 40-hour week.

And law may or may not give you money. Don't do it for the presumed riches. Many, many current law students are finding that there are no law jobs out there. I don't see things changing anytime soon. There's simply too many lawyers for not enough work, now that credit's hard to get (no deal work) and companies aren't spending big bucks on litigation.

For too long people when to law school as a way to tread water before going out into the working world, and it needs to stop. If you've always wanted to be a lawyer, then by all means, go for it. But if you say "law school" and shrug your shoulders at the same time, don't go.

-Erik

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I was not judging your character; I was judging your intent. You want to be a teacher for the free time? Are you friggin' serious? How am I supposed to judge you? Lazy? Not serious? Clueless? So busy being a clown that you have not come up with a real reason for doing it?

How about you get mature and give some real reasons for why you want to be a teacher, vet, lawyer, etc?

I have done a large amount of work experience, and 6 members of my family are teachers. I know a little bit about the profession.
I'm afraid your posts have degraded into a smoldering mess. It is true that I have not posted why I want to do either of these professions, barring that they are the "second option" to my entertainment desire my reasons for wanting to do them are amazingly generic.
Money vs freetime is simply a qualitative reference whereas I am simplifying the careers so I can form a better pro/con list that has more to do with me rather than the career itself.
All three jobs are essentially "help" jobs, where i help people learn, help people with the law/in trouble, or help animals.
The main qualification between them is animals vs people, money, and time.

I'm glad we could come to an understanding.

edit: thanks for that post eric_c: informative and to the point.

Jun 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Figo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course not. If you did, you would probably agree with me. (And I work in the top public defender office in the country, so I do have professional experience).

ACLU, DC public defender, LA public defender, Federal Public defender, Manhattan DA, DOJ honors (esp. antitrust), AUSA, etc. are all wonderful places to work and make a difference as an attorney.

Problem is, these offices hire from top schools (almost exclusively top 10 schools, and even then usually kids with top 10% grades.)

BIGLAW will go deeper into a class (much deeper, usually) in the top 14. Once outside of that, barring exceptional grades (top 10% or better), most are stuck with craplaw, starting at 35K or less with no benefits, and an $800 a month student loan payment (for THIRTY YEARS).

I agree with you
beerchug.gif

ACLU/DOJ honor/honor public interest program are all great and nice, but the pay sucks compared to any EE 3-4 yrs out of a decent engineering school and that's on top of your $120k in law school student loan.

The best an average non-trust-fund/no-rich-parents kid can hope for is Biglaw..existence of which is precarious in this economy, to say the least, (e.g. see New York Time's article on White & Case). You can help society indirectly even in Biglaw; for example you can help companies raise money so they can put the money into good use (e.g. developing new cancer-fighting drugs, etc).

You may not get 'rich' doing Biglaw, but you will definitely live better than your non-investment bank friends (maybe even better than your banker friends in this economy). You can expect to make around $220k/yr only 5 years out of law school; even assuming you will be pulling 65hr/week, your hourly rate would be $68/hr. (this is close to top of the pay scale for Biglaw, which is reserved for T14, almost exclusively)

Now if you are rich (or don't care to blow $120k for your self-enjoyment) ..by all means go to law school. The education is fantastic; your classmates and professors will challenge your every argument and make you question yourself and the world; ultimately you will receive the Jedi-equivalent brain training (e.g. there is no ignorance, there is knowledge; there is no emotion, there is peace.

Jun 13, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best an average non-trust-fund/no-rich-parents kid can hope for is Biglaw..

Until, of course, you come to your senses and go in house.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a job that you like (hopefully love), above anything else. If you start to compromise by getting into a career for other reasons than the like of the work itself, you're simply not going to be able to sustain yourself in it... either that, or you're just not gonna be happy in your career.

Awful hard to wake up every single morning for a job that you don't like/love.
wink_face.gif

$0.02

Pop's right... I work with HS students daily that are at risk to be dropouts. Some of my success stories have come back to tell me that the best advice I've given them is to work in an area that allows you to do things that you enjoy. If you have access to an educational counselor, ask them for a career inventory. If not, you can find a career assessment on your own.

I really don't think that you should look for a career based on the amount of potential leisure time...
L3000.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

I have done a large amount of work experience, and 6 members of my family are teachers. I know a little bit about the profession.I'm afraid your posts have degraded into a smoldering mess.

See below...
Quote:

It is true that I have not posted why I want to do either of these professions, barring that they are the "second option" to my entertainment desire my reasons for wanting to do them are amazingly generic.

Perhaps now you see why I am not taking you seriously. All of these jobs are jobs that require passion and drive. They are not your typical 9-5 desk jobs. When someone questions your intent, you better have a good reaon for why you want to pursue. THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL BE ASKED IN YOUR INTERVIEW. If all you have are "generic reasons", you will not be hired.

Quote:

Money vs freetime is simply a qualitative reference whereas I am simplifying the careers so I can form a better pro/con list that has more to do with me rather than the career itself.
All three jobs are essentially "help" jobs, where i help people learn, help people with the law/in trouble, or help animals.
The main qualification between them is animals vs people, money, and time.

I understand that. Everyone does that. See you asked for help in deciding which direction to go. My question was whether you were serious, because, to me, the most important questions are why you want to pursue the chosen professions. You did not provide any in your initial post, and then you got defensive when I pressed the issue. Again, if all you have is "generic reasons" and are not willing to go in depth about why you want to do any of these professions, how is anyone supposed to help you. We can give you testimonials and suggestions, but none of them are catered to you. They are all just "generic".

It's your life; live it your way. But NEVER should you base your career on how much leisure and music time you will get in return. That makes people judge your character...

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe me, the paper shoveling gets old in a hurry. If you're good at it, then the piles will just get bigger and you'll spend more time with them.

Also, trial advocacy is nothing like what you see on TV. 95% of it is doing routine stuff, like standing up and saying, "your honor, I have a pretrial conference on the 15th, but I am free on the 22nd. If that works for the Court and the other counsel, let's set it the 22nd." You look over at opposing counsel who says "OK," then you and opposing counsel go have lunch. Sometimes you'll settle the case right then. The high drama ain't there.

Maybe that's for you, maybe it isn't, but that's what the job is. It makes for bad TV, but is pretty livable.

About the top 14 law schools and grades... don't put that much stock into it. Remember, 90% of those out there practicing weren't in the top 10% and they don't give a rat's ass where you graduated. They want experience, the ability to pull in clients and a clean disciplinary record.

I went to a mid range school and graduated in the top 50%. I was not going to kill myself for some ranking. I just wanted to graduate and pass the bar. The first job paid badly, but I went back to school and got another degree in accounting. You can always add to your skill set later or get a complimentary degree.

Oh, and the whole big firm/associate game is a bunch of BS, anyhow. Even if you go to the Big Name School and make law review, you're still cannon fodder at the big firms. Remember, they're stocked with 200 other associates just like you. You're no longer special. Every year, about 70% of the associates will leave. Of those that remain, only four or five will make partner after six to eight years of putting in 80-90 hour weeks.

You might not make partner because one of the partners doesn't like you personally. Or you might not make partner even though they love you and you bring in clients because several partners in their seventies aren't ready to hang it up and want to skim your earnings for several more years. Meanwhile, you work 80 hours a week and they get to keep 90% of what your clients are paying the firm. You'll get strung along - maybe if you take on another case (hey, it's only 10 hours a week) you'll look good during the partnership review.

And even if you make partner, a lot of firms start you off as a non-equity partner. Meaning that you don't get a share of the total revenue, but they have this second tier to keep you from jumping ship or starting your own firm.

The equity partners don't have it easy, either. These days, it seems that clients aren't always paying their bills or demanding discounts and reductions.

So after killing yourself for close to ten years, you might end up screwed in the end.

It's not worth it. The whole Big School/Big Ranking/Big Firm thing is overblown. It's just a way to waste your life.

I'm not big on academia, either. It's fine for some people, but there's a backstabby atmosphere and I don't want to publish what inevitably goes unread. It can be good for others, but that sort of thing drives me crazy.

If you care about the law, go to a school you can afford and take all the practical stuff. Then get out there. The low paying jobs don't always stay that way. You need to get your feet wet for a couple of years, but then you can go it alone or with a few friends.

The many people I know who've done that have ended up bringing down $100k-$300k a year. If you keep overheat low you can still do pretty good charging $75-$100 per hour. $75 an hour at 2,000 hours a year works out to $150,000. How bad would that be? Get three or four other attorneys you like together, rent a place, and do your own thing without all the BS and wasted life. If you set up your own shop, you're not going to care about your law school ranking, are you? Clients never ask, either.

There's one solo in Oregon I knew who scheduled her appointments and meetings mostly in the evenings. Clients loved that - they didn't have to take time off from work.

Then she bought an unlimited lift pass at the local ski area. It was mostly deserted during week hours Monday through Friday.

She spent her days skiing. I can't remember her ever seeming unhappy.

In contrast, I can't remember the last time I saw someone that happy at my office.

The only reason I'm not in my office right now is because they're shut down for emergency fire/life testing. I'll be there tomorrow, though.

But don't fall for the game, the stuff you're "supposed" to do to be "successful." Until I had to come back to LA to help the family, I was close to partnering up with a solo practitioner who had extra office space. From the work I already had after a couple years in the county, I probably would have pulled close to $100k the first year.

I will go back to that. But for now, the Big Firm is OK. I don't care about "making it," I care about stuffing cash into savings and investments. When I get back to the real practice of law, I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep hours down to 1,000-1,500 a year. Enough to actually work and enjoy it, but also plenty of time to take a couple weeks off for a vacation just about any time I feel like it. Contrast that with the "prestige" of grinding 90 hour weeks in an office tower.

I think we agree completely. Problem is, I didn't blow 130k (and I had a half-tuition scholarship at one of MVP...) on an education to start at 30k/yr. I could have done that with my HS diploma.

After 3 yrs and $xxx,xxx spent most people are going to want 160K/yr, period. You can always go in house/solo after all the loans are paid.

And like you said, for yourself, top 50 school, good grades... and still making what right after graduation?

If you really have the balls to go solo (I don't and probably never will), open a normal business and get rolling. Don't waste the time/money on law school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back