Looking for flat/neutral IEMs
Apr 14, 2011 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yepimonfire

500+ Head-Fier
I'd like to find a pair of IEM without 1. bloated bass. i want natural clean bass. 2. severely rolled off highs. 3. recessed mids.

like the title says i want a pair that are very neutral sounding that don't add or take anything away from the music. also keep in mind i would rather not spend more then 200 dollars on them, less if possible.

any suggestions?

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 10
whats the difference between the two?

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
whats the difference between the two?

S version has higher impedance i.e. harder to drive.  The P version is said by many to be better if you don't have an amp.

Slightly off topic, what happened to the price of these?  I was looking at them about 6 months ago and they were easily less than 200.
confused.gif

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 10
e-Q7, RE252, ER4, PFE, CK90Pro, CK10

$200?  Used, maybe the e-Q5, definitely the RE252, ER4, and PFE, very likely the CK90Pro, CK10 and e-Q7 a stretch.

I think for the average user, the Ortofon will be most likable.  The RE252 is very highly detailed but fitment is an issue.  The ER4 is very detailed and offers a thicker, textured note that's not so BA like but also somewhat limited on both ends in terms of frequency response presence..  The PFE is more of the same but with better bass extension but a more BA type of sound, i.e short decay, almost too clean and short on note to sound natural.  The CK90Pro has a warner, lusher note although still BA like but quite fun to listen to.  The CK10 is very highly detailed, well balanced but with a narrow but high treble peak at 10kHz.  The CK10 is one of the most lifelike earphones I've used, very high realism.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 10
You should look into the DBA-02. It'll do everything that you want, and it's under $200. There's also a few for sale in the headphones for sale section, provided that they haven't been sold already. That would be your best bet to be able to get them soon if the dealers are out of stock, as it seems to take a month or more for the dealers to get more DBA-02s in. There's plenty of info on them in joker's huge multi-iem-review thread as well as the massive DBA-02 review thread.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 10
Yep, DBA-02 is another one, oh that reminds me the RE-Zero as well.

I found the DBA-02 to be aggressive for a BA earphone, very fast, but still short on note which did lean out the low end some.  The RE-Zero is a little more filled out, delicate and playful, slightly forward.  On the cheap, the RE-Zero is my favorite.  For $100 or less, I think it's one of the most well balanced and well behaved earphones in that price range.  At the $200 price point, I feel a used e-Q5 would fit that bill.  The $150 is a mixed pot.  There's numerous options with a lot of different flavors.  I kind of see products like the RE-Zero and e-Q5/e-Q7 as more universally neutral/natural options.

I might toss in a couple more like the Xcape v1 and GR07, but I have not listened to either unfortunately.  I know they're supposed to be both very well balanced.  The Xcape rivals the RE-Zero to boot and may possibly be as good or even better depending on personal taste.  The GR07 is a $150 product and extremely good from what I've read.  I just can't comment outside of what you can read for yourself.

ClieOS' review thread should be a main read of yours too:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-sunrise-xcape-v2-b-xcited-added-april-9th-2011

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Yep, DBA-02 is another one, oh that reminds me the RE-Zero as well.

I found the DBA-02 to be aggressive for a BA earphone, very fast, but still short on note which did lean out the low end some.  The RE-Zero is a little more filled out, delicate and playful, slightly forward.  On the cheap, the RE-Zero is my favorite.  For $100 or less, I think it's one of the most well balanced and well behaved earphones in that price range.  At the $200 price point, I feel a used e-Q5 would fit that bill. 

I doubt you can get used e=Q5 for under 200 as this are relatively new in the market. You could probably still  get a new  e-Q5 from Dimitri at Musica Acoustics for Discounted cost if you mention Headfi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back