Looking for extreme noise cancelling
Nov 27, 2009 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Timaty

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers,

Currently I'm in the market for a new headphone type: extreme noise cancelling. I currently have a Sennheiser IE7 which doesn't suit my needs when it comes to isolation.
This is due to that my comp is in the living room where my parents watch tv. And I don't want to hear that damn tv
tongue.gif

I absolutely don't want less good sound then my Sennheiser IE7's.
It also needs a cable with a length of 2 meters or more.

I mainly listen to:
Metal and his subgenres, dance, trance, techno, hardstyle etc.

I'm in for good bass (better then IE7) but I don't want to sacrifice on the acoustic side for that.

My budget is around € 150 - € 200.

Summed up:

- Looking for new headphone
- Priority # 1 = EXTREME Isolation
- Priority # 2 = Bass
- Priority # 3 = Acoustic

I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance and listen on!
dt880smile.png

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 23
Anyone else?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 23
Interesting that active noise cancellation models are not mentioned so far. The Bose QC15, while not considered worth its price for the sound quality delivered, is reported to provide OK sound and excellent noise isolation/cancellation.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tlau1125 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting that active noise cancellation models are not mentioned so far. The Bose QC15, while not considered worth its price for the sound quality delivered, is reported to provide OK sound and excellent noise isolation/cancellation.

Not really that interesting. Active noise cancelling isn't very well-regarded around these parts... It's hard on the ears, and isn't any more effective than a nice-fitting pair of IEMs.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 23
I have used the Bose QC and active is not as good as passive noise cancellation.
Any IEM with a good tight seal is better (IMHO) than active noise cancellation phones, especially in noisy environments (commuting, flights etc). Westone comes to mind but not the only ones to fit the bill.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 23
my roommate has the bose QC (temporarily of course, i mean he does live with a head-fier) and the only thing it does well is get rid of low frequency sounds. I can clearly hear music in the background but you would not be able to hear the hum of a lawnmower. Remember, ANC cans are generally designed for airplane engines and the like.

Another person who lives on my floor (former headfier) has the HD25 and those things isolate incredibly well. The bass is boomy and lively as well, although for me there is too much of it (I am an AD700 fan after all)

The HD25s are definitely a great choice. They can double as portables as well.

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 23
Another solution a friend of mine came up with, is to use in-ear products, and on them, to put a noise cancelling helm, the kind used for shooting training. The Pros being that you can choose whichever model you want, and it won't alter the sound.
Smith & Wesson: Blue - Suppessor Lightweight Ear Muff - Army Navy Store, Military Shop

And yeah, another pro would be having Smith&Wesson written on your headphones, looks pretty badass
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 23
So eventually, the best is to go for a pair of custom molds if I get it right
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing is, I don't know any auditicions in my neighborhood that make custom molds.

I live in The Netherlands (Limburg, Heerlen) te be precisely. Anyone knows one which is not far away from my place?

And also, are there different sorts of custom molds?

Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Touffu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another solution a friend of mine came up with, is to use in-ear products, and on them, to put a noise cancelling helm, the kind used for shooting training. The Pros being that you can choose whichever model you want, and it won't alter the sound.
Smith & Wesson: Blue - Suppessor Lightweight Ear Muff - Army Navy Store, Military Shop

And yeah, another pro would be having Smith&Wesson written on your headphones, looks pretty badass
biggrin.gif

I'm Going to Try That
biggrin.gif

Thanks!!

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 23
ER4's have superb isolation. APS cable and 'shroom tips will eliminate complaints about lack of bass while maintaining the detail that these IEM's are known for. Not full size phones, but if you are serious about isolation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back