Looking For Earbuds, $40 or less, maximum sound quality and value... any suggestions?
Jan 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

AudioAficionado

Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers,

I'm currently on a budget and looking for earbuds that fit my need. I have a few in my sight, but am wondering if there are better ones. My criteria  may be a little hard to meet: symmetrical cables, decent bass (but doesn't have to match Klipsch S4's amount of bass), mind-blowing clarity, and durability that's for everyday use. I do not prefer Klipsch buds because of their peculiar eartips. I would also like a case included and a 3-button Apple-style remote, but these two are optional.

Currently, I'm looking at the JVC HAFXC80 and the Sennheiser CX 280 on Amazon.com. They both sell for less than $40, and meet my criteria except for the optional 3-button remote. (but the Sennheisers have a volume slider)

So, any suggestions?

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 49
You're most definitely not going to find a mind-blowing clarity pair of phones out there with your budget, but the Dunu Trident was the first that came to mind with your criteria. If you're used to basshead IEMs then you may find them a bit bass light, but the bass is indeed north of neutral. They come with lots of accessories (for the price) and a pouch, but without the apple remote (which I can't think of any IEMs that has it at this price). The Tridents are built like a tank and will stand up against some abuse no problem. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 49
Shure SE115 if you can stretch a bit furthur.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 49

Quote:
You're most definitely not going to find a mind-blowing clarity pair of phones out there with your budget, but the Dunu Trident was the first that came to mind with your criteria. If you're used to basshead IEMs then you may find them a bit bass light, but the bass is indeed north of neutral. They come with lots of accessories (for the price) and a pouch, but without the apple remote (which I can't think of any IEMs that has it at this price). The Tridents are built like a tank and will stand up against some abuse no problem. 

Hello kckc,

I have looked at the Dunu Trident before. The back of the earbud housing is a little strange, like there's a hole. Could you give more feedback on the Tridents?

Quote:
Monoprice 8320

Do a search about them on the site

Hello donedj,

These earbuds you mentioned look extremely flimsy, due to the price and the casing, which looks like it was made from ridiculously cheap plastic. More feedback on these please and why you recommend them?

Quote:
Shure SE115 if you can stretch a bit furthur.

Hello Cakensaur,

Sorry, my budget is very limited. Also, I've heard that Shure's generally have a more treble sound and sometimes fit awkwardly (for the eartips). Therefore, what is the reasoning behind recommending this pair of earbuds?

--Audio Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 49
I dont think id go as far to say that they are treblehead phones, but yes the treble is fairly pronounced. i have never had any trouble fitting in the eartips, they generally have a very tight seal. They fit me much better than the senn's anyway. but that differs from ear to ear, because of the good seal they tend to be fairly bassy, while still remaining controlled, not really boomy.
i personally recommend them due to high build quality, and good quality/price ratio that follows shure through the entire line-up, they provide decent clarity for the price range.

*edit*

Goodluck however you venture with the earphone pickings :) SQ is subjective. so your most liked earbud is the best choice. :D

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 49

Quote:
Hello donedj,

These earbuds you mentioned look extremely flimsy, due to the price and the casing, which looks like it was made from ridiculously cheap plastic. More feedback on these please and why you recommend them?

Monoprice kick some serious butt

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club

They are actually pretty well made, the microphonics are an issue though, if you want to wear them and move around a lot... Otherwise they are just an incredible value.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 49
I have a pair of Sennheiser CX400s that I will sell for $30.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 49

Quote:
I have a pair of Sennheiser CX400s that I will sell for $30.

Hello,

Thanks for the offer, but I do not want a pair of CX 400s. Thanks though!

To everyone else who's viewing this post: Please, if you you have any recommendations for me that fits my criteria, post it in this thread. Thanks, everyone!

--AudioAficionado

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 49
I would recocommend checking out any of DSnuts threads
http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=*:*&advanced=1&sort=lastupdate&order=descending&searchtype=thread&currenttab=Thread&createdbyuserid[]=185895

You just made a very big starter mistake there. Talking about the 8320's due to how thye looked even though supremus's love it for the price. the current fad or find is the CKM50
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ckm50&x=0&y=0

read through DSNUTS thread on it. you will probably buy it if you think the 8320's are too flimsy for you.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592457/the-ath-ckm50-the-ckm-family-impressions

stop looking for senhesiers or stuff that you already have an image of being good inn your head and open up. If i recommended the PL11's you would scoff at me.. $20? ha.! they look cheap. despite hifi reviews and people's pinning this up against the Sennheiser CX300's

I don't have the CKM50 but have the 8320 and PL11. the CKM50 ws just a new thread and something i have heard a lot about that i thought you should be made aware of

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 49

Quote:
I would recocommend checking out any of DSnuts threads
http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=*:*&advanced=1&sort=lastupdate&order=descending&searchtype=thread&currenttab=Thread&createdbyuserid[]=185895

You just made a very big starter mistake there. Talking about the 8320's due to how thye looked even though supremus's love it for the price. the current fad or find is the CKM50
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ckm50&x=0&y=0

read through DSNUTS thread on it. you will probably buy it if you think the 8320's are too flimsy for you.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592457/the-ath-ckm50-the-ckm-family-impressions

stop looking for senhesiers or stuff that you already have an image of being good inn your head and open up. If i recommended the PL11's you would scoff at me.. $20? ha.! they look cheap. despite hifi reviews and people's pinning this up against the Sennheiser CX300's

I don't have the CKM50 but have the 8320 and PL11. the CKM50 ws just a new thread and something i have heard a lot about that i thought you should be made aware of

Thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction, bowei006. I'm seriously considering the ATH- CKM50s now. What do you think of the JVC HAFXC80s?

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 49

Users who are viewing this thread

Back