Looking for computer speakers ~ $300
Dec 7, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 11
While those aren't bad at all you could do much better for $300. As many on here have said you could create a system using an amp and bookshelves and while this setup will undoubtedly sound better than computer systems they're a little more complicated and use more desk space. As for systems around $300 you have a number of options such as the Audioengine A5s for ~$300 or Swan M200s (right now for ~$200) or studio monitors. Either of these setups will sound better than computer systems from logitech or klipsch. if you want a sub there are some 2.1 studio monitors such as the blue sky exo 2.1.

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 11
I've heard the logitech z-2300's, and they're pretty good speakers, but the mids need to be more defined, that's my only gripe with them. However, I'd suggest going with evu325's idea, that's what I'm doing. You can find/make better sound out there under $300. My setup is going to be the SS-B1000 bookshelves, and the dayton ht-120, or ht-100 subwoofer. Overall, if you're someone who listens to a lot of music with guitars, and stuff like that, the z-2300's might get on your nerves.

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 11
I haven't heard computer speakers that I liked. Even the expensive ones fall shory of quality bookshelf speakers. Also, built-in amplification tends to be of poor quality.

For small speakers, I really love the PSB Alpha B1. Terrific sound and Stereophile named them one of their budget components of the year. You can find a pair of them for $169 here:

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

I bought mine from them the other week and they're great to deal with. For power, I'd go with a vintage receiver. Those often are excellent and you can get them for next to nothing secondhand. Check Craigslist, thrift stores, junk shops, eBay, garage sales, ask friends and relatives, and so on. You'll get one, cheap or free. Most will have a phono stage so you can try a turntable someday and a lot of them make good headphone amps.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 11
i got my girlfriend KRK RP5's last year - excellent speakers for $300, provided you have room on your desk.

i've heard the z-2300's, and frankly theyre rubbish. the crossover is so high that sometimes deep male voices come out of the subwoofer unit!!!

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 11
i used to use my Onix Reference 0.5's on my desktop - terrible experience. although this is the only set of bookshelves ive ever used in the near-field, the sweetspot was unbearably small, and having a nearby amp (even a small one) was a hassle.

decent near-field monitors are my preference for use with a PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back